CAT complete Syllabus PDF covers all the key topics in Mathematics, English, Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning. Not only the CAT syllabus pdf is very wide with many topics getting added or deleted every year, if you look into the complete CAT syllabus Pdf, it also goes on changing with each CAT exam. Accordingly, the updated CAT complete syllabus PDF 2018 can help you boost your CAT preparation as per the current CAT pattern. The CAT 2018 complete Syllabus PDF free download is available online. It contains the existing and expected topics alongwith the type of questions expected in CAT exam to be held on November 25, 2018 in Slot-1 and Slot-2.
Key Features of CAT Syllabus PDF
- CAT Syllabus 2018 PDF consists of section wise CAT topics for VARC; DILR & Quant
- CAT exam complete syllabus PDF is based on expected CAT exam pattern
- CAT syllabus 2018 complete PDF contains weightage & types of questions from different topics
- The CAT Syllabus PDF 2018 is much closer to exact CAT exam structure
- You can download the complete CAT exam syllabus PDF free
CAT 2018 Syllabus PDF at a Glance
The section wise overview of CAT Syllabus 2018 PDF is shared below to give you clarity on the important topics which you must study for CAT preparation, their sectional weightage in CAT syllabus. The sectional importance of CAT topics in CAT Syllabus PDF should be understood before you go for CAT exam syllabus PDF free download:
CAT Syllabus PDF Sections
Weightage in CAT Syllabus
VARC – Part 1: Verbal Ability
Jumbled Paragraphs, Essence of Short Para, Picking out the out of context sentence. Total – 10 Questions
VARC – Part 2: Reading Comprehension
5 RC Passages- 3 Long & 2 Short. Total-24 Questions
DILR- Part 1: Data Interpretation
Charts, Tables, Graphs. Total-16 Questions
DILR-Part 2: Logical Reasoning
Seating Arrangements, Family Tree, Direction sense. Total-16 Questions
QA - Quantitative Ability
Arithmetic, Geometry, Mensuration, Algebra, Trigonometry
CAT Syllabus 2018 PDF: Key Topics Shared by IIMs
The sectional CAT syllabus 2018 is sub-divided into 5 parts. This sectional sub-division in CAT syllabus makes CAT 2018 as an exam with 5 effective sections:
- Section-1: VARC syllabus for CAT is divided into two parts - Verbal Ability syllabus and Reading Comprehension syllabus
- Section-2: DILR syllabus is divided into two parts – syllabus for Data Interpretation and syllabus for Logical Reasoning
- Section-3: CAT exam syllabus for Quantitative Ability section is very wide and covers each and every topic in Mathematics with greater emphasis on Arithmetic.
Part-1: CAT Syllabus for Reading Comprehension (RC)
- Current affairs making impact on Social Life, International Affairs, Govt policies and Schemes for example Triple Talaq, Clean India Mission, Migration of people from one country to other, Growing intolerance across the Globe
- Business & Economic RC Passages for example Global economic changes, economic development at the cost of environment, Impact of Demonetization in India, Wasteful expenditure by Governments
- RC passages from various English Literature books, from articles authored by great philosophers, thinkers, from various speeches of great personalities like passages from Charles Dickens, Aristotle, Martin Luther King, Mohan Das Karam Chand Gandhi, Churchill among others
- Passages on Science & Culture including the journey to Modern world; Fading culture with the advancement of technology
- Abstract topics and fiction are also included in the Reading Comprehension Syllabus for CAT. These
- Passages make the candidates think much leading to put themselves in the author’s shoes before answering the questions following these passages since they are opinion based.
- RC Passages on Historical events leading to social changes for example French Revolution, War of Roses, Social changes in Indian History and thoughts shared by various activists which are very much relevant even today
- RC Passages from Mythology. These passages try to correlate the Mythological events with the current social structure and answers to the questions on them have to be inferred
Part-2: CAT Syllabus for Verbal Ability
- Essence of short paragraph/Para summary - (3-4 questions);
- Jumbled Paragraphs (3-4 questions)
- Out of Context Sentence in Jumbled paragraphs (2-3 questions)
- Error Correction of Verb, Noun, Pronoun, Adjective, Adverb and other parts of speech in the Sentences.
- Correcting the sequence of sentences in the paragraph for example correct use of conditional sentence, time clauses, reported speech, passive writing
- Vocabulary usage – picking the correct pair of words
- Vocabulary usage in RC passages – finding out the correct synonyms and antonyms
- Fill in the blanks with correct vocabulary words
- Completion of last sentence of Paragraphs
- Critical Reasoning
- Sentence Completion
- Facts, Inference and Judgement
- Irrelevant Statements
- Phrasal Verbs Usage
Part-1: CAT Syllabus for Data Interpretation (DI)
- Data Tables
- Data charts
- Bar diagrams & Charts including Simple, Stacked, Composite Bar charts
- Pie charts
- Graphs – Line X-Y Graphs
- Data analysis and Data comparison among others
- Caselet based Data
Part-2: CAT exam Syllabus for Logical Reasoning (LR)
- Binary logic
- Seating Arrangement
- Blood Relations (Family Tree)
- Logical Sequence
- Linear and matrix arrangement
- Team Formation
- Direction sense and Decision Making
- Set Theory, Venn Diagrams, Network Diagrams
- Quantitative Reasoning
- Logical Reasoning based on Rankings
- Critical Reasoning
Section-3: CAT Syllabus for Quantitative Ability (QA)
- LCM and HCF
- Profit and Loss
- Interest (Simple and Compound)
- Speed, Time and Distance; Time and Work; Averages; Ratio and Proportion and others
- Number System (3-4) questions
- Algebra (5-7 questions)
- Geometry/Mensuration (6-8 questions)
- Pure Math (1-2 questions)
- Venn diagrams and other topic based questions are 2-3
- Linear Equations; Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers
- Logarithm; Progressions
- Binomial Theorem
- Surds and Indices
- Permutation and Combination
- Probability Functions
- Set Theory
- Mixtures and Alligations
- Co-ordinate Geometry
You can download CAT Syllabus 2018 PDF, go through it and devise your preparation plan as per the CAT Syllabus PDF. The CAT syllabus 2018 portable download format (PDF) in fact is most authentic source to keep pace with your CAT exam preparation.
Scan the CAT 2018 Syllabus PDF
You should go through the details in CAT Syllabus PDF 2018 after downloading it and plan your CAT preparation as per CAT syllabus. It gives you complete analysis and weightage on topics that you need to prepare well.
After completing the CAT syllabus 2018 PDF free download, Scanning of CAT Syllabus pdf document is the first step to continue with your CAT preparation journey. The CAT syllabus PDF shared below is based on revamped and updated CAT exam structure as released by IIMs. Please note that CAT syllabus was changed in 2015 by IIM Ahmedabad. So, once you know about the CAT Pattern 2018, your next step for CAT preparation is to scan the CAT Syllabus 2018 Pdf.
Please note that IIM entrance exam syllabus or CAT 2018 exam Syllabus is not pre-defined by CAT 2018 convening IIM nor the CAT syllabus was outlined earlier also by the CAT exam convening IIM Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Indore, Kozhikode or Lucknow and now Calcutta.
Important Points about CAT Exam Syllabus
- CAT 2018 exam syllabus is based on the mentioned guidelines and current structure of CAT exam.
- CAT Exam Syllabus has never had any boundaries and this fact also applies to define the CAT 2018 exam syllabus.
- CAT 2018 exam syllabus is based on recent trends in CAT exams and putting it the right way, the CAT syllabus is the outcome of the topics which have earlier appeared in CAT exam although the type of questions, their composition, format and number may change in each subsequent CAT exam.
- Past tendencies reflect that CAT exam syllabus and pattern overall tests the candidate on Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension; Quantitative Aptitude; Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning.
- CAT exam Syllabus covers all the major topics on these three test sections which are further divided into sub-sections.
- The key point in CAT exam syllabus 2018 is that there is no repetition of CAT questions in any CAT exam although difficulty level of the questions in CAT exam would not go out of CAT exam syllabus.
Prepare as per CAT Syllabus Pdf
The fact is that you will find it difficult to proceed with CAT preparation even if you have all the CAT preparation material, unless you know the CAT exam syllabus. CAT MBA exam syllabus is much wider than one can anticipate. IIMs CAT syllabus does not leave any study topic untouched. The glimpses of CAT syllabus 2018 for MBA admission 2019-21 in IIMs and other top B-schools is a testimony to this fact.
If you go through the CAT exam syllabus, it will help you to decide when to begin CAT preparation? How to prepare for CAT 2018? What important topics covered in CAT syllabus need your focused attention in CAT preparation and so on so forth. Going by the past trends and past CAT exam pattern, CAT complete syllabus for each section of Common Admission Test (CAT) has been shared above to help the CAT 2018 aspirants in CAT 2018 preparation in accordance with the CAT 2018 exam syllabus.
CAT Syllabus 2018 PDF & CAT Pattern
You should be aware about the CAT exam pattern & Structure before moving to prepare for CAT as per CAT Syllabus 2018 PDF. Common Admission Test (CAT) 2018 has three sections with a total of 100 questions divided into MCQs and Non-MCQs in each section. Out of 100 questions, Section-1 on Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC) has 34 questions; Section-2 on Data Interpretation & Logical reasoning (DILR) has 32 questions and Section-3 on Quantitative Ability (QA) has 34 questions. All these sections are individually timed for one hour each.
CAT 2018 syllabus PDF is a good source of CAT preparation material which is based on the revised CAT exam pattern. Although, IIMs do not release the CAT Syllabus PDF form, but the CAT syllabus 2018-19 is prepared by CAT experts, CAT toppers and top CAT coaching institutes in India. Now the CAT exam syllabus PDF free download is available online and a thorough understanding of it will boost your CAT preparation further.