& Apply MBA admissions
- B-School Directory
- B-School Ranking
- Agribusiness management
- Ahmedabad MBA
- Bangalore MBA
- Bhubaneswar MBA
- BFSI MBA
- Chennai MBA
- Cochin MBA
- Coimbatore MBA
- Delhi MBA
- Delhi / NCR MBA
- Distance MBA
- Family Business MBA
- Hyderabad MBA
- Infrastructure MBA
- Kolkata MBA
- Mumbai MBA
- Pune MBA
- Retail MBA
- University MBA
- GD / WAT / PI
- MBA Forum You and your peers
The GMAT® (Graduate Management Admission Test®) Exam
The GMAT® (Graduate Management Admission Test®) Exam
The GMAT exam scores are used by leading business schools and management education programs worldwide for admission to their different MBA programmes. Over 5,800 programs offered by more than 1,600 institutions in over 110 countries use the GMAT® exam as part of the selection criteria. In India, the GMAT exam is accepted for admissions at more than 200 plus programs offered at over 90 business schools.
GMAT Pattern & Format
The GMAT exam consists of four sections—Analytical Writing Assessment, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative, and Verbal. You have three and a half hours in which to take the exam, but you should plan for a total time of approximately four hours to include optional breaks.
Brief on the four sections:
- Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA): The AWA section consists of one 30-minute essay: Analysis of an Argument. The AWA section measures your ability to think critically and to communicate ideas.
- Integrated Reasoning Section: The 30-minute Integrated Reasoning section consists of 12 questions that measure your ability to analyze and synthesize data in different formats and from multiple sources.
- Quantitative Section: The 75-minute Quantitative section consists of 37 questions that measure your ability to reason quantitatively, solve quantitative problems, and interpret graphic data.
- Verbal Section: The 75-minute Verbal section consists of 41 questions measuringyour ability to analyze texts, draw inferences, and convey meaning effectively in English.
The GMAT exam is administered entirely in English. The quantitative and verbal sections of the exam are computer adaptive, meaning questions are chosen for you based on how you have answered previous questions. In general, the more correct answers you give, the more difficult the test becomes. Your score is based on both the difficulty of the questions answered and the number of correct responses. By adjusting to your individual ability level, the computer adaptive test shortens the time it takes to complete the exam and establishes a higher level of accuracy than a fixed test.
GMAT Score Scales
The Total score for GMAT exam is reported on a scale of 200-800 and is based on performance on the Quantitative and Verbal sections. In addition to the Total score, there are separate scores for all four sections:
- Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA) – Scored on the scale of 0-6
- Integrated Reasoning (IR) – Scored on a scale of 1-8
- Quantitative Section – Scored on the scale of 0-60
- Verbal Section – Scored on the scale of 0-60
The AWA and IR sections are scored separately and they do not count towards the Total score. They are not included on unofficial score reports available immediately following the exam at the test center, but are on the Official Score Reports available within 20 days of the exam. Your GMAT score is valid for five years.
Here follows some of the important FAQs on GMAT:
How Much Does It Cost?
Fee for GMAT exam is US$250 globally. Taxes are incurred for exams administered in some countries; for a list of which ones, go to mba.com. Test takers who reschedule or cancel their GMAT exam appointments also incur administrative fees.
How Do I Prepare for the GMAT Exam?
You can download the free GMATPrep®software at mba.com/gmatprep. Other study materials, includingThe Official Guide to GMAT Review, 13th Edition, GMAT paper tests, and other tools, are available for purchase at mba.com/store. GMATPrep software and other products available from GMAC, the creator of the GMAT exam, are the only study products to include retired questions from the actual exam.
What Countries Accept GMAT Scores?
GMAT scores are accepted by more than 5,400 graduate programs worldwide, including:
- New Zealand
- South Africa
What About English Language Testing?
You should visit the web page of the university where you wish to apply to learn more about requirements for English language skill exam, such as the Pearson Test of English.
How Often Can I Take theGMAT Exam?
The GMAT® exam is administered year-round at test centers around the world. You may take the exam no more than once every 31 calendar days and no more than five times in a rolling 12-month period.
Who Is Eligible to Take the GMAT Exam?
You must be at least 13 years old. Those under 18 years of age are required to submit a written form signed by a parent or guardian.
How Do I Register?
GMAT exam registration is available through the following options:
- Online: Candidates are required to register and complete details on mba.com.
- By Phone:Candidates can schedule GMAT test appointment by calling the Pearson VUE customer care center from Monday to Friday. The test fee can be paid through credit, debit card or voucher, and a US$10 fee may be charged. Candidates should call the customer service in the region of their choice at least three days before the exam:
Telephone (Toll-Free within USA and Canada) : 1-800-717-GMAT (4628), Central Time: 7 am to 7 pm.
Telephone : +1(952)-681-3680, Central Time: 7 am to 7 pm.
Fax: +1(952) 681-3681
- Europe/ Middle East /Africa
Telephone: +44 (0) 161 855 7219, Greenwich Mean Time: 9 am to 6 pm
Fax: +44 (0) 161 855 7301
- Asia Pacific Region
- Telephone: +603 8318-9961, Australian Eastern Standard Time: 9 am to 6 pm.
Telephone: +86-10-6798877. China Standard Time: 8:30 am to 5 pm
Telephone Number - +91 (0) 120 439 7830, Indian Standard Time: 9 am to 6 pm.
Fax: +603 8319 1092
- By Fax:You can download and print the GMAT appointment scheduling form from mba.com and fax it to Pearson VUE customer care centerof their region. The test fee can be paid through credit or debit card or voucher. You should send a fax atleast seven days before the test date.
- By Mail/ Courier: You can download GMAT Appointment Scheduling form from mba.com. The complete form along with the test fee can be sent through courier to:
Attention: GMAT Program
PO Box – 581907
Minneapolis, MN – 55458-1907
Candidates should send their form and test feea minimum of three weeks before their desired test date.
How Do I Find Out More Information?For more information about the GMAT exam and how to find the right graduate management program, please visit mba.com.