MINT-MBAUniverse.com B-school Ranking 2017-18
Research Methodology Summary
Since 2010, MBAUniverse.com conducts its annual B-school Ranking which is recognized as one of India’s most credible MBA ranking. For Rankings 2017-18, MINT, India’s most respected business newspaper, has partnered with MBAUniverse.com to jointly conduct MINT-MBAUniverse.com B-school Ranking 2017-18. Dr KRS Murthy, Former Director, IIM Bangalore guided us in framing the Ranking approach and parameters. Ranking comprehensively evaluates a B-school on Input (quality/profile of students admitted), Processes (teaching, learning processes adopted), Output (placements & entrepreneurship results). As a trend setter, this ranking has always used only hard-facts and data for analysis. No perception surveys or qualitative assessments, which often lacks credibility and transparency, is used.
Research Methodology Overview
Ranking process started in September 2017, and was covered in five key steps:
Step 1: Development of Questionnaire& Invitation for Participation
Step 2: Data Collection&Verification
Step 3: Statistical Analysis&Weightage Allocation
Step 4: Finalization of Rankings
Step 1: Development of Questionnaire & Invitation for Participation
Based on learnings from previous rankings, a draft questionnaire was developed. This questionnaire was shared with Ranking Advisor Dr Murthy for feedback. A 24-page Questionnaire was finalized and on September 15 was circulated for participation to Top 200 B-school. For wider participation, both MINT and MBAUniverse.com published advertisements calling for participation.
Following Eligibility Criteria was clearly announced for participation:
- B-school must offer an MBA/PGDM that is recognized by UGC or AICTE or any other competent Regulatory Body by Ministry of HRD, Government of India
- Must offer a 2-year Full Time MBA/PGDM Program
- A minimum of 5 batches must have graduated for the 2-year MBA/PGDM Program
- Director/Head of Institution must be willing to endorse and accept responsibility for all data submitted
Step 2: Data collection & Verification
Data collection and verification process was conducted from October 15 till November 14. Survey was well received by leading B-schools and saw participation from almost all Top B-schools. Amongst the Top B-schools, following are not ranked:
- IIM Bangalore is not ranked as it didn’t respond to the survey
- ISB Hyderabad offers a 1 Year Program not 2-year Program and is hence not ranked
- JBIMS, IIM Rohtak, Department of Management Studies/B-schools at IIT Mumbai, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Kanpur are not ranked as they didn’t respond to the survey
Step 4: Statistical Analysis& Allocation of Weightages
On consultation with Ranking Advisor, following parameters and weightages were established:
‘Input’ Criteria and Weightage
Quality of the Students who are admitted to a B-school has a major impact on academic engagement, peer learning and the eventual outcomes. A weightage of 30% was assigned to this criterion. This was broken down into following sub-parameters with given weightages:
- Entrance Exam performance: Batch Cut-off Score for CAT (and/or other Entrance-exam test scores) was given the highest 60% weightage.
- Student Selectivity: Total Number of Applications per Seat was given 30% weightage.
- Past Academic Credentials: Batch Profile was given 10% weightage.
‘Process’ Criteria and Weightage
Academic Resources available and Academic Processes adopted at a B-school determine the Outcomes. Highest weightage of 40% was assigned to this criterion. This was broken down into following sub-parameters with given weightages:
- Faculty Size and Profile: Total Faculty available and Faculty Profile were given highest 60% weightage.
- Research & Publication: Faculty Publication in Foreign and Indian Journals of repute were given 20% weightage.
- Accreditation: In line with growing importance of global accreditation, a 10% weightage was given to top 3 International Accreditations i.e. AACSB, EFMD’s EQUIS and AMBA, and National Accreditation i.e. NBA or NAAC. No other international accreditation agency was given any weightage.
- Campus Physical Infrastructure: This parameter was assigned a lower 10% Weightage, as compared to other rankings, as emphasis of management education moves from physical infrastructure to digital capabilities. B-schools with Hostels within campus were accorded higher scores.
‘Output’ Criteria and Weightage
This ranking aims to be the authentic guide for MBA applicants/prospective students in deciding which B-school to apply and admit. Hence, Ranking measured Outcomes/Output on two broad parametersas below. Overall weightage of 30% was assigned to this criterion.
- Placements: Salary Indicators like Average Salary of the Batch and Percentage Placement achieved were given 80% weightage.
- Entrepreneurship Outcomes: Recognizing the growing national importance and emphasis on Job Creators, rather than Job seekers from B-schools, No of Campus Start-ups were given 20% weightage.
Following a completely data-driven methodology, above parameters and weightages were used to arrive at rankings.
Step 4: Release of Rankings
Final Rankings and Analysis was shared with Ranking Advisor and MINT for consultations. After incorporating their comments on methodology, Rankings were finalized for release in both MINT and MBAUniverse.com on December 22, 2017.
Dr KRS Murthy, Former Director, IIM Bangalore
Dr KRS Murthy, the former Director of Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore is one of the doyens of Management Education in India. Widely respected as a great institution builder, Dr Murthy is often credited with initiating the turnaround of IIM Bangalore as the Director of the institute between 1992-1997. Dr Murthy also taught the Post Graduate, Executive Development, Doctoral and Faculty Development Programmes in IIM Ahmedabad, besides heading academic administrative positions such as Editor of Vikalpa. Dr Murthy holds a Masters from Sloan School of Management, MIT, USA and a Doctorate in Business Administration from Harvard Business School, Boston, USA.
MINT & MBAUniverse.com are very thankful to Dr KRS Murthy for guiding the B-school Ranking Process. His insights and advice helped us develop a better Ranking.