Personal Interview Round in IIMs and all other top B-schools is the most important part of MBA admission process and commands even higher weightage than your score in CAT or other MBA entrance exams.
In the beginning, MBA Personal Interview Questions are quite simple to make you feel comfortable and most of the top Questions asked in Personal Interview round of MBA admissions are very similar. However, gradually the MBA Personal Interview Questions take turn in different directions depending upon your academics, interests, family back ground, nature of work experience. IIM Interview Questions for freshers would be different than the questions asked from candidates with work experience.
Personal Interview Questions for MBA in final selection round begin with some introductory questions and gradually go deep into other areas. Read More on IIM Personal Interview Questions and Answers from real PI Experiences . Read More on real PI Experiences
IIM Personal Interview Questions and Answers: 10 Key Facts
- Please note that the IIM MBA Interview Questions and Answers round may have a duration of 8 to 30 minutes
- Time duration of IIM Interview Questions and Answers depends upon how interesting you are during the PI process
- IIM Personal Interview Questions and Answers (PI) round is awarded highest weightage in the range of 30 to 50 percent in final selection
- Your IIM Interview Questions and Answers test you on your one to one communication skill along with your attitude, interest in surrounding events and way of presentation
- Any bluff during your IIM Personal Interview Questions and Answers session can throw you out of the selection fray
- The session of IIM Interview Questions and Answers for freshers could be different from that of candidates with work experience of more than one year or so in terms of type of Personal Interview Questions and Answers for MBA and the length of PI round as much depth in answers is expected from the candidates with work experience
- Usually there are 2 to 3 panelists in the IIM Interview Questions and Answers round
- MBA Personal Interview Questions asked in IIM Personal Interview Questions and Answers round are based on variety of topics ranging from your personal profile, family, native place, courses you have studied, environment around, current affairs. Anything under the Sun could be the topic in the interview session.
- The MBA Personal Interview Questions can be both generic or specific
- Personal Interview Questions for MBA admission are more or less simple and broad, how you answer them is very important.
IIM Interview Questions and Answers for Freshers
IIM Interview Questions and Answers for Freshers may differ from those of Work Ex candidates. For example, in the IIM MBA Interview Questions and Answers for freshers, there would be more focus on academics and current affairs but for candidates with work experience, more than half of IIM Personal Interview Questions and Answers session could be devoted to deep queries on area and quality of work, procedures, hypothetical problems among others.
Top Questions asked in Personal Interview round of MBA admissions
Here are a few of the past MBA Personal Interview Questions asked in IIM MBA Personal Interview round and are the 10 top Questions to prepare for Personal Interview.
- Why MBA: This is one of the top MBA Personal Interview Questions for Admission that frequently appears in MBA interviews
- Tell us about yourself: This is another very popular question that frequently appears in MBA Personal Interview Questions
- COVID 19 related Questions: Given the impact, this is naturally one of the popular MBA Personal Interview Questions. Besides, don’t expect simple fact-based questions – one candidate was asked to share his “stance on the conspiracy theory of Covid’s origin.” Another candidate was asked to explain “Hidden Markov Model and R0 model for Covid-19” in IIM Bangalore personal interview.
- Past Academic Questions: Your academic profile is an important source of top Questions asked in Personal Interview round of MBA admissions. Nikhilesh N, who scored 98.44 percentile in CAT 2020, was asked questions like UG specialization, how the UG background is related to Business Analytics and the key areas of academic interest in IIM Bangalore Personal Interview round
- Previous Work Experience Questions: If you have short or long work experience, it will be the most important area constituting top MBA Personal Interview Questions for Admission. Shuktisindhu Mondal who scored 93.26 percentile in CAT 2019 and is an IIM Ahmedabad student, has a work experience of 41 months. He faced many questions regarding the nature of his work and shares, “Questions that I faced were based on my work experience and current affairs.” Accordingly, You are should also be ready with some of the such top Questions to prepare for Personal Interview.
- Your City/State related question: Interviewers want to know if you have empathy for your roots. So there are also some of the important MBA Personal Interview Questions based on your native place
- Why this B-school: This is one of the top MBA Personal Interview Questions for Admission. If you are appearing in IIM Personal Interview round, it is one of the top Questions to prepare for Personal Interview. If you don’t give a crisp and clear answer, you will leave a bad impression.
- Which Specialization and Why? Some B-schools want their students to be clear about their career choice post MBA. They also want you to be clear about which specialization that you will select in 2nd year and why. This is a sure shot question in IIM Personal Interview round, if you are applying for an Specialized MBA program.
- Current Affair Events & your opinion on them: With lot of changes happening at the national and international level, your updated knowledge on current affairs and what do you think about them is the key area on which a few questions you are sure to face in IIM Personal Interview round. Nikita Agarwal, who scored 99.22 percentile in CAT 2019 and is a student of MDI Gurgaon was asked questions like Chandrayan-2, Cryptocurrency, Bullet trains.
- Questions on Extra Curricular Activities: If you are a sports person, a model or an achiever in some other area, the IIM MBA Interview Questions will be focused on them too. Tanishq Diddee, a national medalist in swimming, a triathlon and marathon participant who scored 99.70 percentile in CAT 2019 and converted IIM Ahmedabad was asked about how a business model can be made around swimming?, How will India capture the POK? Why Kenyan runners are good at marathon?
Other Top Questions asked in Personal Interview round of MBA admissions
Apart from above, other top questions asked in Personal Interview round of MBA admissions are given below. All of them are the top Questions to prepare for Personal Interview.
11. Tell us about your Strengths and Weakness
12. What do you think is your best achievement
13. Where do you see yourself in next five years
14. Tell us about your career goals
15. Why do you want to specialize in marketing/ finance/HR?
16. Tell us about your hobbies and interests
17. Who is your role model?
18. To whom you would give credit for your success and why?
19. Is there anyone who inspires you? Share reasons..
20. How would you differentiate between a good manager and a good leader?
21. Which is your biggest challenge so far?
22. How do you think you will you contribute to the batch and the institute if we select you?
23. What expectation do you have with this MBA programme?
24. What does Criticism mean to you? How do you deal with it
25. Have you ever demonstrated leadership? Share the situation…
26. Which other MBA colleges have shortlisted you for final selection? Which one do you propose to choose and why
IIM MBA Interview Questions And Answers
Below are some of the IIM Personal Interview Questions and Answers. These are the suggested Personal Interview Questions and Answers for MBA.
The Personal Interview Questions for MBA Admission with Answers as suggested below will guide the candidates who miss the appropriate responses and are caught on wrong foot, despite having good answer options to the regular questions. It may be noted that the Personal Interview Questions and Answers for MBA may be put forth in different ways at IIMs, FMS, MDI, IMI, IMT, SPJIMR. The suggested IIM MBA Interview Questions and Answers represent the various ways with which they can be answered.
Q 1. Tell us about yourself
A. This question should not be answered by telling your bio-data. It is already available in the form you filled up. Repeating the same will be a waste of time creating a bad impression.
B. Do not speak something stereotyped or something which appears having been practiced before the mirror number of times.
C. You could narrate some incident highlighting your personality but be brief.
D. You could also answer like - Apart from the details in the form submitted, I am a quick learner and learn from mistakes. I believe in human values, a sharp and clear vision of life. I am confident enough that the various levels of learning that I have had till now and will have in this Institute will help me to bring out the finest of me which will enhance my competence, aptitude and skills.
Q 2. What are the other examinations you have appeared in/ qualified?
A. If you appeared in other examination tell the interviewers. If you have qualified anyone/more than one, there is no harm telling them. You should however, be ready to face one or two more questions on it like – why did you appear in other examination, were you not confident enough to clear it etc. - So it is always good to have more choices, although you would prefer the particular Institute.
B. If you appeared this examination only – you may again expect more questions like-why didn’t you appear in more examinations. The question of a. might be the answer of this question – As I was confident enough to qualify this examination, I didn’t appear in other one.
Q 3. Why do you want to pursue MBA after graduation in Engg/ Medical/ paramedical/ arts & literature/ commerce etc.
A. Since your decision to join MBA has been taken after lot of discussion and information shared among -you, your family and friends- you can be categorical in stating that the decision is taken after a careful thought. You would be able to do job better with enhanced knowledge and skills. Managerial role requires other skills apart from your technical knowledge so it will be the right decision.
B. Beware of being a tall talk, asking for trouble, on the question.
Q 4. What are your hobbies and interests?
A. The hobbies that you filled up in the form should be clarified. If your hobby is music- you must know number of things about it – like events, instruments, personalities, various parts anything. You could be asked – Pt. Ravishanker has recently gone for his heavenly abode – Awards won, the instrument he played, where was he born, where did he die, his family members, achievements etc. You must also be aware about the instrument you play and the environmental details of the same.
B. If you are in the job-you may be asked the question –how do you get time to practice, what inspires you, how did you get to this hobby. You may present the things straight. If there is anything you don’t want to tell, you may hide it but don’t bluff to hide something.
C. Even if other hobbies and interests, apart from one, are there like – reading books, trekking, travelling, playing with toys etc. Anything can be your hobby but you must know as many things as possible related to it.
Q 5. Why do you like your city?
A. Give the positive points of your city – as – it is large or small; it has so and so monuments; good picnic places; people are peaceful and loving; lesser crime; you were born there; famous products; Socio-economic activities – traditional and modern; cost of living; think of some memorable events etc.
B. How to present the negative points – like frequent power shutdowns, bad or congested roads, uncivilised behaviour of some of the people even if there should be placed in such a manner that the future appears good enough and past has been worth appreciating except the time in between which may be termed as a transition phase.
C. Also tell something which you think the interview board members may not be aware of. In case the interaction remains interesting share the needs of the city also.
D. Please ensure you must know each and everything you speak about your city as it might generate more questions out of the answer presented by you.
Q 6. How did you prepare for the examination? Was it a self preparation or you joined some Coaching Institute ? Which one and why? What would you recommend for future aspirants?
A. If you prepared on your own without the help and guidance of any mentor or any coaching –tell the board.
B. In case you prepared with the guidance of some reputed coaching Institute - answer could be like – Sir, I made all out efforts to prepare on my own but since I am an Engineering graduate, Verbal Ability was my weak link and most of the fundamentals of Quant were difficult to remember, I found it appropriate and time saving to go for comprehensive classes offered by TIME/CL/ MBAUniverse.com along with other study material provided by them. It has been quite helpful for me.
C. You could without hesitation recommend your preferred coaching institute.
Q 7. Which B-school do you want to join as you have received the call from other ones also?
A. Apart from this one you may have received the call from other institutes also and you have filled this information in the form as well, so you can be straight on this point. It is always good to have choice. You, if asked, may convey the given option where would you like to go.
B. If you think that it will be difficult for you to enter the other Institute, tell the interviewers that you would prefer the present one. However, have some positive points on the same else it will appear misleading. Besides you can clarify that you would have joined the other institute but given the high percentile requirement or so, you would prefer joining the present one. Better to let the board know what you think.
Q 8. Tell us about your dream Institute.
A. You might have IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Calcutta, IIM Lucknow, XLRI or FMS Delhi as your dream institute in your mind. If you find you have got that much of percentile, you may submit – Sir, given the opportunity I would like to study at IIM Ahmedabad (or whatever is your dream Institute). This will call for more questions like – why? – you must be aware of the dream Institute – campus study environment, you know the seniors who have appreciated it, More renowned, Older one, better opportunities etc.
B. If you find you can’t make to your dream Institute tell them about it adding that you prepared hard and would like to study harder in the present institute instead of preparing again for the dream institute.
Hope this article has provided useful information not only on IIM MBA Interview Questions and Answers but also on MBA Personal Interview Questions and Answers in other top B-schools
The information on this page will be updated consistently with latest IIM Interview Questions and Answers, Personal Interview Questions for MBA Admission with Answers in other top management institutes. Besides, the expected Personal Interview Questions and Answers for IIM and Personal Interview Questions for MBA in other top B-schools, from experts who have been the part of IIM Personal Interview round, will also be included. MBAUniverse.com will also endeavour to prepare MBA Personal Interview Questions and Answers Pdf for the benefit of aspiring candidates for MBA admission.