How the rankings & scores were calculated
ince 2010, MBAUniverse.com conducts its annual MBAUniverse.com B-school Ranking which is recognized as one of India’s most credible MBA Ranking and used by 150,000+ MBA aspirants for their MBA Admission decision. This Ranking comprehensively evaluates a B-school on Input (quality/profile of students admitted), Processes (teaching, learning processes adopted, accreditation etc), Output (placements, entrepreneurship etc). As a trend setter, this ranking has always used only hard-facts and objective-data for rankings. No perception surveys or qualitative assessments, which often lacks credibility and transparency, have been used.
For our 9th MBAUniverse.com Rankings 2018-19, much respected management academic Dr KRS Murthy, Former Director, IIM Bangalore guided us in framing the Ranking approach as our honorary Ranking Advisor.
MBAUniverse.com Rankings USPs are:
- Rigour & Expertise: Rankings conducted under guidance of eminent Advisors/Body. Dr KRS Murthy, Former Director, IIM Bangalore is our honorary Ranking Advisor for this ranking. Past Advisors include former IIM Ahmedabad Director, IIM Calcutta Director & ISB Dean.
- Credibility &Transparency: With a track record of 9 years, this Ranking uses only objective Data-driven Methodology. No ‘perception survey’ used to skew rankings. No direct/indirect commercials ever sought for this ranking or participation.
- Width& Coverage: Wide participation of IIMs, IITs & all Top B-schools like XLRI, SPJIMR, MDI…makes for a good comparison and analysis.
- Balancing Academics/Research with Placements: Ranking based on360-degree assessment of Input, Processes and Output of a B-school.
- Exclusively for MBA Aspirants: Rankings designed exclusively for MBA Aspirant’s needs and requirements.
- Trend setter: This ranking has been a trend-setter. First major ranking in India to rank only on hard-facts and objective-data. Many rankings have modified their approaches to align.
Research Methodology Overview
The Ranking process started in September 2018, and was covered in four phases:
Step 1: Development of Questionnaire& Invitation for Participation
Step 2: Data Collection&Verification
Step 3: Statistical Analysis&Weightage Allocation
Step 4: Finalization of Rankings
Step 1: Development of Questionnaire & Invitation for Participation
Based on learnings from previous rankings, a draft questionnaire was developed. This questionnaire was shared with Ranking Advisor Dr KRS Murthy for feedback. A 20-page Questionnaire was finalized and on September 15 was circulated for participation to Top 200 B-school. For wider participation, MBAUniverse.com sent emails to 400+ B-schools inviting their participation.
Following Eligibility Criteria was clearly announced for participation:
- B-school must offer an MBA/PGDM that is recognized by UGC or AICTE or any other competent Regulatory Body by Ministry of HRD, Government of India
- Must offer a 2-year Full Time MBA/PGDM Program
- A minimum of 3 batches must have graduated for the 2-year MBA/PGDM Program
- Director/Head of Institution must be willing to endorse and accept responsibility for all data submitted.
Step 2: Data collection & Verification
Data collection and verification process was conducted from October 15till November 30.Survey was well received by leading B-schools and saw participation from almost all Top B-schools.
Amongst the Top B-schools, following are not ranked:
- IIM Calcutta, IIM Bangalore, IIM Kozhikode, IIFTNew Delhi are not ranked as they didn’t respond to the survey. IIM Calcutta citied recent internal changes for non-participation this year.
- ISB Hyderabad offers a 1 Year Program and is hence not ranked
Step 3: Statistical Analysis& Allocation of Weightages
On consultation with Ranking Advisor, following parameters and weightages were established:
A. ‘Input’ Criteria and Weightage – 30% Weightage
Quality of the Students who are admitted to a B-school has a major impact on academic engagement, peer learning and the eventual outcomes. A weightage of 30% (300 Marks) was assigned to this criterion. This was broken down into following sub-parameters with given weightages:
- Entrance Exam performance: Batch Cut-off Score for CAT (and/or other Entrance-exam test scores) was given the highest 60% weightage within this parameter.
- Student Selectivity: Total Number of Applications per Seat was given 30% weightage.
- Past Academic Credentials/ Batch Profile: Thisparameter was given 10% weightage.
B. ‘Process’ Criteria and Weightage – 40% Weightage
Academic Resources available and Academic Processes adopted at a B-school determine the Outcomes. Highest weightage of 40% was assigned to this criterion. This was broken down into following sub-parameters with given weightages:
- Faculty Size and Profile: Total Faculty available and Faculty Profilewere given highest 50 % weightage.
- Research & Publication: Faculty Publication in Foreign and Indian Journals of repute were given 20% weightage. Global Indexes and Indian Citation Index were used for validation.
- Accreditation: In line with growing importance of global accreditation, a 20% weightage was given to top 3 International Accreditations i.e. AACSB, EFMD’s EQUIS and AMBA, and National Accreditation i.e. NBA or NAAC. No other International Accreditation agency was given any weightage.
- Campus Physical Infrastructure: This parameter was assigned a lower 10% Weightage, as compared to other rankings, as emphasis of MBA education moves from physical infrastructure to digital learning. B-schools with Hostels within campus were accorded higher scores.
C. ‘Output’ Criteria and Weightage – 30 % Weightage
This ranking aims to be the authentic guide for MBA applicants/prospective students in deciding which B-school to apply and admit. Hence, Ranking measured Outcomes/Output on two broad parametersas below. Overall weightage of 30% was assigned to this criterion.
- Placements: Salary Indicators like Average Salary of the Batch, Percentage Placement, International Placements achieved were given 80% weightage.
- Entrepreneurship Outcomes: Recognizing the growing national importance and emphasis on Job Creators, rather than Job seekers from B-schools, MBA Start-ups originating from B-school campuses were given 20% weightage.
Following a completely data-driven methodology, above parameters and weightages were used to arrive at rankings.
Step 4: Release of Rankings
Final Rankings and Analysis was shared with Ranking Advisor for consultations. After incorporating comments and feedback, Rankings were finalized for release.
About Honorary Ranking Adviser Dr KRS Murthy
Dr KRS Murthy, the former Director of Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore is one of the doyens of Management Education in India. Widely respected as a great institution builder, Dr Murthy is often credited with initiating the turnaround of IIM Bangalore as the Director of the institute between 1992-1997. Dr Murthy also taught at IIM Ahmedabad. Dr Murthy holds a Masters from Sloan School of Management, MIT, USA and a Doctorate in Business Administration from Harvard Business School, Boston, USA.
MBAUniverse.com is very thankful to Dr KRS Murthy for guiding the Ranking Process.