Group Discussion- Types and Topics
Top B-schools, IIMs, XLRI use several types of Group Discussion topics to test the applicants before finalizing their merit lists and offering admission. While there are some Group Discussions that test the knowledge of a candidate on a topical issue, others are designed to test the ‘lateral thinking’ of candidate. Another type of Group Discussion comes in form of a short ‘case-study’ where applicants are asked to analyze a situation and frame responses. Yet another type of a Group Discussion is a ‘group exercise’.
Group Discussion (GD) is an important testing tool of paracipants’ skills in final admission round for MBA/PGDM after getting shortlisted by the B school. Most of the top rated B schools including a few IIMs, MDI conduct GD along with Personal Interview in the final admission round.
Healthy debate on relevant topics among 8-12 candidates in a specified time period of 12-15 minutes is the Group Discussion round needs strong exchange of opinions with logical and thoughtful arguments. The discussion is supposed to be an indicator of your leadership qualities, judgement of knowledge domain and communication skill. Out of these 8-12 candidates, selection is goes in favour of the one or two while others get eliminated either due to their inadvertent mistakes or because they are not aware about the rules of the game.
To emerge a winner in GD round a candidate should speak after getting a grasp on the given topic. Irrelevant speaking is not good. You should be audible enough during the course of discussion without losing your confidence. Express your ideas at length. If you simply follow the other speaker or his ideas, remember your elimination is imminent.
There could be different types of Group Discussion topics which can broadly be covered in following categories to help the aspirants prepare better.
Business & Economy
for Group Discussion Updates
Don't miss anything important! Register to receive regular updates, alerts and preparation tips from Toppers
This is one of the most important areas of Group Discussion topics in IIMs, XLRI, MDI, SPJIMR and other top B-schools where Group Discussion continues to be an important component of final MBA/PGDM admission round:
- Demonetization 2016 in India will adversely impact adversely on Indian Economy.
- “Make in India” – the idea will make India a manufacturing hub.
- Is FDI in retail good or bad for India?
- IT industry is going to create huge job opportunities in India.
- Corruption is the root cause for Indian Economy slowdown
- Will India remain way behind China?
- Should business lobbying be made legal in India?
- GST will propel the business & economic growth
- Merging the General & Railway Budget will save exchequer from unnecessary spending
Changes and developments happen every day in the country in every sphere and top B-schools prefer to choose them as one of the key Group Discussion topics in their final admission round. A few of the key topics on current affairs are:
- Making Aadhaar Mandatory is not a good idea
Should India end the Kashmir Crisis by attacking or by dialogue with Pakistan?
- The rise in vegetable prices is a man made farce
- The parliament of India and State legislatures should pass the Lokpal bill.
- Our Parliament is misusing public money
- Preponing the General Budget presentation date is a good decision.
- Is terrorism the price we have to pay for democracy?
- Does India need a bullet train or better railway and road infrastructure?
Social issues and concerns have far reaching impact on every strata of the society. These topics are the favourite of top B-schools for their Group Discussion round.
- Gender bias in portraying Women in Advertisements
- Smart City Project will give wings to growth
- Net Neutrality is essential to make India Digital
- Too many obstacles in implementing the Climate Change Summit resolutions
- India needs a uniform civil code
- UID Aadhar Card – Is it really useful for common people?
- Reservation should be removed
- Quota System should be abolished
- Maintaining brotherhood is a social obligation
- Beauty Pageants give a wrong impact on the women of India
- Reality shows- Should children be banned from coming in such shows?
- Is Social Media an inevitable part of marketing?
- Can social media be controlled?
- Demonetization 2016 has created social unrest.
- Are the women boon or bane to the society?
- Love Marriage should be preferred to Arranged Marriage.
- Nuclear Family is better than the Joint Family.
International Current Affairs
- United States really need India as its friend
- Trump as U.S. President may make USA a better ally for India.
- Britain should have remained with European Union?
- UNO should create Global army to fight against terrorism.
- Chinese goods should be banned in India to promote Indian Industry.
- Paris Summit has made little impact on the role of developed countries to improve climate.
Candidates find it difficult to form better arguments and strong discussion points when it comes to group discussion on Abstract topics. The reason is that these topics are based on your personal views and opinions without any strong fact to support your view. Most top B-schools place abstract topics in group discussion round.
- Brevity is the soul of wit
- Beauty is only skin deep
- Marriage is only a contract
- Failures do not mean depression
- High hope can change bad time into good
- Committing suicide is not the answer to your vision
- A Teardrop on my guitar
- Where there’s a will, there’s a way
- 26 Alphabets
- Infinite Numbers
- A Walk to Remember