Key Changes in IIM-CAT 2018 Mock
IIM Calcutta has made three important changes in release of CAT 2018 Mock Test:
- Separate CAT 2018 Mock Test Navigation Guide PDF Released
- Separate login link provided for candidates with normal vision
- Login Link separately provided for the candidates who have low vision with two magnifying glass icons at the top of the screen. You can click on icon to zoom-in and click on icon to zoom out the question.. Read More on CAT Mock Test and Previous Test Papers
The CAT 2018 Exam will be held in Morning and Afternoon sessions in 147 cities in India on Sunday, November 25, 2018. 2.41 lakhs candidates have registered and applied for CAT 2018. In 2017, there were 2.32 lakhs candidates who had applied for CAT.
CAT Admit Card download can be done from October 24, 2018 onwards. IIM Calcutta will upload the official CAT 2018 Mock test on or before October 28 to familiarise candidates with the CAT exam pattern and navigational tools.
CAT 2018 Important Dates
CAT 2018 Registration Start Date
August 8, 2018
CAT 2018 Registration End Date
September 26, 2018
CAT 2018 Registration & Application Fee
CAT 2018 Admit card release date
October 24, 2018
CAT 2018 Exam date
November 25, 2018
CAT 2018 Result date
January 2019 second week
CAT Full Form
CAT is the abbreviated form of the Common Admission Test. For the last 5 decades since IIMs have been conducting the Common Admission Test for admission to their various PGDM programmes, the full form of CAT is seldom used except in the release of CAT notification, advertisement and other official CAT documents. So despite carrying the official full form Common Admission Test, the exam is more known by CAT – the abbreviated form of Common Admission test.
CAT 2018 Admit Card: Download Starts on October 24
CAT 2018 Admit Card release date is October 24, 2018 at 1PM. Since the CAT 2018 exam registration process was extended by a week to September 26 from September 19, 2018, it is possible that the CAT 2018 Admit Card release date may be delayed by a few days.
CAT 2018 Exam Day Activity
CAT Exam day instructions as contained in CAT admit card must be meticulously followed. Important activities to get ready for the CAT exam and to appear in the exam on the CAT exam day November 25, 2018 should be adhered to.
Error Correction Facility Closed
IIM Calcutta earlier opened the CAT 2018 application error correction window with only photo re-upload edit option on September 27 for 4 days till September 30, 2018. CAT 2018 applicants were allowed to re-upload their blur photographs on CAT application. The Photo Re-upload facility was closed on Sep 30. No further error correction facility in CAT 2018 Application form was allowed by IIMs. For any rectification in the CAT Application 2018, now the candidates who have successfully submitted their form should contact on phone or email to CAT 2018 Exam Centre immediately, as nothing would be done after the CAT 2018 Admit card is released.
CAT Registration Closed
Registration process for CAT 2018 was closed at 11.59 PM on September 26, 2018. No further extension in the last date to apply for CAT 2018 was announced. Earlier the CAT 2018 registration last date was September 19, 2018. IIM Calcutta had extended the last date for CAT 2018 registration to Sep 26, 2018 (11.59 PM). CAT 2018 exam is scheduled on November 25, 2018.
IIMs Announce CAT 2018 cut offs for Admission 2019
One by one all the 20 IIMs have started announcing their admission criteria and CAT 2018 score cut offs for the batch 2019-21. Following IIMs have released their admission policy
|Name of the IIM||Required CAT 2018 Percentile||Weightage in Shortlisting for 2019-21 batch|
CAT is the largest MBA entrance exam leading to admission in top MBA colleges of India. IIM Calcutta is conducting CAT 2018 and has announced that CAT 2018 will have a combination of MCQs and Non-MCQs to provide level playing field to the students of all streams. With an increase of Rs.100/- in its exam fee to Rs.1900/-, the CAT Registration process has already begun and will close on September 26, 2018. No change in the CAT 2018 exam pattern has been announced by the CAT convening IIM Calcutta. Besides, the CAT exam duration remains of three hours with 100 questions divided in three sections, as was the last year.
Common Admission Test (CAT) 2018 is the computer based exam and is the largest MBA entrance exam in India for MBA admission in 2019 to 20 IIMs and more than 500 other top MBA/PGDM colleges including FMS, SPJIMR, MDI, among others.
CAT Test Centre
CAT 2018 Exam is scheduled on November 25, 2018 in two slots. The CAT 2018 exam centre, time slot and CAT exam day instructions are made available in the CAT Admit Card. This year IIMs have not provided any facility to choose the CAT test centre in Delhi NCR and any city in Delhi NCR can be allotted as CAT test centre. The information will be available only after release of CAT Admit Card 2018.
CAT 2018: Important Points
- Low Cost Exam: CAT 2018 Registration and CAT exam application fee taken together comes to less than Rs.100 per IIM for General category and less than Rs.50/- per IIM for Reserved category. No fee to be paid to apply for any individual IIM
- CAT 2018 Convener: Dr Sumanta Basu, Faculty at IIM Calcutta is the Convener of CAT 2018 Exam
- One Day Exam: CAT 2018 exam will be held in single day on Sunday November 25, 2018 in Morning and Afternoon sessions. CAT is a Computer Based Test. Earlier it was held in 15 to 20 days testing window till 2013 by IIMs. Since 2014, CAT exam testing window has been shortened to one day only.
- 40 Days CAT 2018 Registration Window: The CAT 2018 Application process is open from August 8 to September 19, 2018
- Dual Degree Accepted: A candidate with dual bachelor's degree should mention the academic scores of both the bachelor's degree programme in CAT 2018 application form
- Single Fee for MBA Admission: CAT 2018 provides admission opportunity in 20 IIMs with the single point payment of CAT 2018 registration fee of Rs.1900/- for General candidates and Rs.950/- for reserved category.
- Choice of 50 MBA Programmes in IIMs: CAT 2018 offers a choice of more than 50 management programmes in 20 IIMs without any additional application fee for admission to academic session 2019-21.
CAT 2018: Exam Pattern
- Computer Based But Not Online Test: CAT 2018 exam is a computer delivered exam of 180 minutes (3 hours) duration but it is not an Online Exam
- 100 Questions: CAT 2018 exam will have 100 questions divided in 3 sections of VARC, DILR and Quantitative Ability.
- 30% No Penalty Questions: CAT 2018 is divided into MCQ and Non-MCQ type of questions. Out of 100 questions, 30 will be of Non-MCQ type without any penalty of negative marking.
- 70% CAT Questions with Negative Marking: 70% questions in CAT 2018 are of MCQ type and will carry penalty of 1/3 negative marking
- Minimum CAT Score Requirement by IIMs: A Minimum qualifying score between 70 and 90 percentile in CAT 2018 is required by IIMs in each of the 3 sections to shortlist candidates for final admission round
- Other Criteria with CAT score: Apart from High score in each of the 3 sections in CAT 2018 exam 2018, you need to have good academic profile, diversity, to get into IIMs.
During the last 3 years, CAT exam syllabus has substantially changed. The biggest change is in type of questions some of which are no penalty questions now. Most of the changes in CAT syllabus have taken place in the Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension Section. The topics and number of questions in VARC section have changed. Similarly a few changes in CAT syllabus have been introduced in Quantitative Ability section also.
Although CAT 2018 exam Syllabus is not pre-defined by IIMs, it overall tests the candidate on Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension; Quantitative Aptitude; Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning... Read More about CAT Syllabus
CAT Exam Preparation
The best way to prepare for CAT exam is to devise your own preparation strategy and then find out whether you need to join CAT coaching institute. CAT exam toppers (Link with toppers page) have advised following CAT preparation strategy:
- Choose Best CAT Preparation Books
- Analyse VARC, DILR, Quant Sections in CAT and match your preparation as per changed pattern
- Take as many CAT Mocks as Possible
CAT 2018 Eligibility
If you have completed Bachelor’s degree with 50% marks or completed professional degree (CA/CS/ICWA), or are in the final year of Bachelor’s degree you can appear in CAT 2018 exam. There is no Age bar to apply and appear for CAT 2018 exam.
CAT 2018 will therefore offer a stiff competition for admission to top MBA colleges accepting CAT. Over the years the candidates applying for CAT aptitude test leading to IIM admission have been increasing year after year
During the past six years this is the first time that IIM Calcutta will be conducting Common Admission Test (CAT). MBAUniverse.com had predicted that IIM Calcutta could be assigned the responsibility of CAT 2018 convening IIM.
CAT 2018 Registration Process: Closed Now
The CAT Registration 2018 is a 30 minutes process and the candidates should collect all the required documents/material before starting their CAT registration and Application Process.
- Open CAT 2018 website
- Register at ‘New Candidate Registration’
- Complete the single page CAT 2018 Registration Form in 3 minutes
- Your next step is to use the OTP received from CAT Centre 2018 to login again as registered Candidate and fill in the CAT application form.. Read More
CAT 2018 Application Process: Closed Now
Once you have successfully registered for CAT 2018, you should login again as Registered Candidate on CAT website to fill in your CAT application form in simple steps.
- Page-1: Fill in your personal details
- Page-2: Fill in your academic details from class 10 onwards in CAT application form
- Page-3: Fill in your work experience in months only
- Page-4: Fill in the preferred programmes offered by 20 IIMs and the choice of Interview cities
- Page-5: Choose the 4 CAT exam cities in order of preference from drop down menu and fill in the choice in application form
- Page-6: Make payment of CAT exam fee (Rs.1900 for General and Rs.950 for Reserved category candidates
- Preview your CAT Application details before clicking on ‘Submit’ button as you will not be allowed to edit your details after submitting your CAT application.. Read More
CAT 2018 Notification
The CAT Notification 2018 was published on July 29 and after one week of its publication IIM Calcutta began the exam registration process on August 8. The CAT Notification 2018 contains details about CAT Registration dates, CAT Admit card dates, CAT exam date and CAT Result Date. Apart from this, the CAT 2018 official notification has details about the CAT Eligibility criteria and the details about the MBA programmes offered by all the 20 IIMs.