Updated On: Friday, November 10 2017, 5:19 PM
CAT 2017 exam is quite near and after receiving your CAT 2017 Admit Card, you are well aware about your CAT 2017 exam test centre and must have made the travel plan for the D-day. However, on the top of everything is your smart CAT exam preparation strategy that you need to follow during next few days.
CAT preparation till now
It is expected that you must have:
- Strengthened your fundamentals
- Conceptual clarity is obtained
- No confusion remains on application of basics and formulae in solving the questions
Daily CAT preparation plan till CAT 2017 exam day:
- Ensure to practice variety of questions on each topic
- Check if any topic in CAT syllabus not covered till now
- Check and find out your weakness, analyse and remove.
- It’s still time you should further strengthen your strong areas and improve on weak ones
- Don’t begin anything new which is very difficult for you and consumes more of your time
- Take one CAT sectional Mock every day
- Take one CAT full length Mock every 3rd day or 2 Mocks a week. Analyse well and improve on errors
- Practice repeatedly on official CAT Mock available at iimcat.ac.in. Go deeper into it and prepare in accordance with the question pattern as appears in official CAT 2017 Mock test (Hyperlink CAT Mock/Previous test paper)
- Questions on RCs make 70% of VARC section. Improve your reading speed and practice more on variety of RC passages
- If you are a working professional take leave from office till CAT day
- Devote 4-5 hours now for CAT 2017 preparation
- Keep a clock with you to check your speed and accuracy level while solving the problems
Latest CAT Exam Preparation Updates:
- CAT 2017: 5 smart preparation tips from toppers as per revised CAT exam pattern; crack CAT in 150 days
- CAT 2017 exam preparation tips by IIML student & CAT topper Rachit ‘Don’t worry about wrong answers’
- CAT 2017: How to begin and plan 150 days preparation strategy
- CAT 2017 Syllabus out for preparation: Plan your CAT preparation for next 45 days
- CAT 2017: 45 days preparation plan from CAT toppers; Study smart & don’t kill your IIM A,B,C chance
Major tools that would help you in CAT preparation 2017 at this point:
- Best Books for CAT preparation – Arun Sharma, Nishit Sinha, Study and practice material from TIME, CL, IMS – good preparation tool
- Read how CAT toppers studying in IIMs, FMS, SPJIMR, MDI, IMI, IMT prepared, take tips out of their preparation strategy now
- Attempt and analyse CAT Mocks prepared as per CAT 2017 exam pattern and the official CAT Mocks released by IIMs
- CAT exam papers - Previous year papers comprising CAT questions give you the idea and type of CAT questions that you may face in the real CAT exam paper 2017
- CAT 2017 test series
Best books for CAT preparation
Books for CAT preparation play a major role in helping you score high in the CAT exam. A few of the best books to prepare for CAT 2017 are:
Books for section-1: VARC
- How to Prepare for Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for CAT’- by Arun Sharma & Meenakshi Upadhyay
- ‘Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT’ - by Nishit K Sinha
- Latest RC Passages and practice questions provided by Study centres like TIME, CL among others
- Editorial and short articles published in English news papers
- ‘Word Power Made Easy’ – by Norman Lewis
- ‘High School English Grammar & Composition’ – by Wren & Martin
- Regularly solve the Verbal Ability questions from your study material especially on Para summary, Jumbled Paragraphs
Books for Section-2: DILR
- ‘How to Prepare for Data Interpretation for CAT’ - by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- ‘Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation for the CAT’ - by Nishit K Sinha (Published by Pearson)
- ‘How to Prepare for Logical Reasoning for the CAT’ - by Arun Sharma (Published by McGraw Hill)
- ‘Logical Reasoning and data Interpretation for the CAT’ - by Nishit K Sinha (Published by Pearson)
Books for Section-3: Quantitative Ability (QA)
Following books and study material have remained a good CAT preparation tool for Quant for past many years:
- ‘How to prepare for Quantitative for the CAT’ - by Arun Sharma, published by MGH Education
- ‘Quantitative Aptitude for the CAT’ – by Nishit K.Sinha, Published by Pearson
- ‘The Pearson Guide to Quantitative Aptitude for competitive exams’
- Quant study modules by TIME, CL, IMS
All the CAT toppers had adopted different preparation strategy during the last few days to CAT exam. Reading the success mantra shared by the students of IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Bangalore, IIM Indore, FMS Delhi among others would be a good help to boost your preparation for CAT 2017
Mock tests for CAT
The Practice test papers for CAT prepared by top experts and CAT toppers are good tool to prepare for CAT and crack CAT exam. CAT sample papers are available as CAT online tests also. There are number of CAT online mock tests comprising replica CAT exam questions to help in your CAT preparation. Don’t miss them.
CAT Test series
You may enrol for CAT test series at some good CAT coaching like TIME, VISTAMIND, CL, IMS among others. They will help you overcome many weak areas. Choose for the best coaching for CAT preparation. CAT coaching online is a good answer to the working professionals who find it difficult to attend regular offline class room coaching for CAT. During the past few years preference for CAT online coaching has gone up many times. In fact CAT online preparation through online coaching for CAT is more cost effective, less time consuming and offers you more time to practice CAT question papers and CAT exercises.
CAT 2017: Sectional preparation
CAT 2017 exam will have 3 sections with a total of 100 questions. Each section is timed with the individual time limit of 1 hour. You need to ensure high score in each of the 3 sections as there is also a sectional score cut off in IIMs.
This is the right time that you should move fast and be smart on your CAT 2017 preparation journey. The best way to prepare for CAT 2017 exam is to know your strengths and weakness and start working on them now. Since there is time to get over with your weakness and further strengthen your strong areas, you must devote around 4-5 hours a day from now on to crack CAT 2017 with a high score.
CAT Preparation for VARC
Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension in CAT 2017 exam would be the 1st section. VARC is considered as the most tricky section as this section can get any composition of topics and different type of questions.
You need to prepare for VARC by devoting much more time in practicing on variety of RC passages and Verbal Ability questions. During the last few years,VARC has gone for substantial changes in CAT exams. Your preparation therefore, has to be focused on the current trends. But another important feature of CAT exam is that it suddenly asks questions of such type which have not been asked during last many years. Your preparation therefore, has to combine the current as well as the past trends in CAT.
Sometimes you may find more questions on Grammar and Vocabulary and at other times the entire part on Grammar based and vocabulary based questions may be missing in CAT exam. The difficulty level of questions in VARC section is from moderate to highly difficult...Read more
CAT DILR Preparation
Data Interpretation for CAT and Logical Reasoning for CAT are now clubbed together and form a new DILR section. DI questions for CAT with solutions are available online also. The data interpretation for CAT syllabus is also a little more defined than other CAT sections. The Data Interpretation Study material like Data Interpretation for CAT by Arun Sharma; The Pearson Guide for logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation are the few of the best books for CAT 2017 prepration. Data interpretation and Logical Reasoning study material for CAT 2017 is available online also which can help you in CAT 2017 DILR preparation and will also save your time also.
Candidates who appear in IIMs Common Admission Text (CAT) find DILR as the most difficult and time consuming section. Candidates can hardly solve only a few DILR questions in CAT exam. Now, with creation of new section in CAT comprising only DILR questions, CAT has detached the DI questions and LR questions from their respective parent sections of Quant and Verbal. Now DILR is the 2nd section in CAT exam which requires higher focus on DILR preparation...Read more
CAT Preparation for Quant
Quantitative Aptitude in CAT 2017 carries a weightage of 34% in overall CAT 2017 exam. As per the trend in CAT exam during the past 2 years, Quant in CAT exam 2017 will occupy the 3rd and last section. Quant in CAT is considered as the very tricky section as this section can get any composition of topics and different type of questions in MCQ or Non-MCQ format.
You need to concentrate more to prepare on Quant in CAT 2017 and therefore require a well devised preparation plan to score high in CAT 2017 exam. Your own devised shortcuts to quickly solve the questions with accuracy will help more. The increase in sections has made it more crucial for aspirants to score high in Quantitative Aptitude section in CAT 2017 without any support of questions from DI part which could be attempted by not so proficient candidates in mathematics.
Since CAT 2017 test takers will reach this section after spending 120 minutes on other 2 sections, CAT preparation experts and toppers share key CAT quant preparation tip to practice more on this section right from the beginning and prepare themselves to keep their cool till the end of the exam as this section is more calculation based...Read more
Take Sectional Quiz for CAT 2017
Despite number of changes brought about during last 3 years in CAT, the basics of the exam have not changed. Accordingly the past CAT exam papers and CAT Mocks are the great tools to prepare for CAT 2017. To make sure to bell the CAT 2017 with high score you need to focus more on your CAT exam preparation 2017 now.
Not only the 20 IIMs, other top B-schools like FMS Delhi, SPJIMR Mumbai, JBIMS Mumbai, MDI Gurgaon, IMI New Delhi, IMT Ghaziabad, BIMTECH Greater Noida, TAPMI Manipal, IITs, NITIE among others will offer admission to their MBA/PGDM programmes on the basis of CAT 2017 exam scores.
CAT is Common Admission Test and does not require a specialist or professor in English, Maths or reasoning. CAT exam is to assess how you approach the question and how intelligently solve it in the shortest time. CAT does not require you to attempt all the questions but the need is to maximise your correct attempts and minimise the wrong attempts.
It may be noted that even half of the total questions, if attempted right can fetch you a percentile of 98-99. So prepare accordingly. CAT Preparation does not require you to study round the clock, instead you need to study smartly and with intelligent approach to crack the questions correctly in minimum time to achieve high score.