Important Update: CAT 2020 Application Process Closed on Sep 23 at 5 PM; No Further Extension announced
CAT 2020 Application form submission has closed on September 23, 2020 at 5 PM after getting extended by a week from September 16. Now if you try to apply for CAT exam, you will get following message:
IIM Indore had extended CAT 2020 Application deadline till September 23, 2020 upto 5 PM which has closed now. CAT Convener had also shared with MBAUniverse.com that no further extension of application date was proposed and had urged the test takers to apply in advance to allow themselves a hassle-free application process and to avoid a last-minute technical glitches.
|CAT Exam Pattern - Check New Pattern | CAT Syllabus 2020 - Check Updated Topics|
|CAT Score Vs Percentile for Top 50 B-schools | CAT Preparation 2020 - How to improve %|
CAT Application 2020: Process was Simple
CAT 2020 application steps were simple and could be completed within the specified time although candidate could login again and again to complete the process. It was better to fill CAT application in parts. For this you needed some time and unless you initiated the process early, you would find it difficult to fill accurate information in the application form in time.
- Create a Profile
- Log in with system generated User ID and Password
- Submit Application after entering details and making online payment
CAT 2020 application process was more ‘user friendly’ this year as the guidelines were clear and substantial changes were also incorporated in the registration process.
Important Changes in CAT 2020
Apart from extending the, CAT application Deadline to September 23, other key changes announced by IIM Indore in CAT 2020 exam, are:
1. CAT 2020 Exam in Three Session: Will be conducted on November 29, 2020 (Sunday) in three sessions – Morning from 8.30AM to 10.30AM; Afternoon from 12.30PM to 2.30PM and Evening from 4.30PM to 6.30PM. Earlier there were two sessions announced. So, there will be an extra session this year to accommodate social distancing norms.
2. CAT 2020 Exam Duration Reduced to only 2 Hrs: The revised duration of the test will be 120 minutes.
3. CAT 2020 Exam to have Three Sections:
- Section I: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- Section II: Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- Section III: Quantitative Ability
4. Section wise time limit set to 40 mins: Candidates will be allotted only 40 minutes for answering questions in each section. They will not be allowed to switch from one section to another while answering questions in a section. This will change the way candidates prepare and take the exam. Read More about what is updated on CAT website
In addition to these big changes, IIM Indore has said that due to COVID 19 related disruptions, CAT 2020 may undergo more changes in future. “CAT 2020 process is to be conducted taking into account the COVID crisis. The information provided by the CAT website is contingent upon the decisions and directions issued from time to time by the Central & State governments and IIMs. Candidates are advised to regularly check the CAT website for further information,” said IIM Indore.
IIM Indore, the CAT 2020 convening IIM, has started the CAT Exam 2020 application process at 10 AM on August 5. In an exclusive interview with MBAUniverse.com Prof. Harshal Lowalekar, CAT 2020 exam convener and faculty at IIM Indore said, “The registration is going on as usual like last year. The numbers are picking up now.” During the last three years there is steady rise in number of CAT exam applicants. There were 2.31 lakh applicants in CAT 2017 which increased to 2.41 lakh in CAT 2018 and to 2.44 lakh in CAT 2019.
To help the CAT 2020 aspirants with the process to complete their CAT application successfully, CAT Centre 2020 has released the CAT 2020 Application Guide and video with instructions and do's & don'ts on how to fill CAT 2020 application form. This MBAUniverse.com article explains the Application Process and will help you apply for CAT 2020 in simple easy steps. You can check actual CAT Application Form, Documents required, How to pay CAT Application Fee, How to rectify CAT application errors and other important guidelines So, read on!
CAT 2020 Application: 5 Key aspirant friendly Features
Submitting the CAT 2020 application latest by the last date to apply, is the first and mandatory step to appear in CAT exam 2020 for MBA admission in 20 IIMs and other top MBA colleges. Note down these important features in CAT 2020 Application process introduced by IIM Indore:
- You can choose Six Test Cities to take your CAT exam 2020 in order of preference
- Your work experience will be calculated in days in the CAT application form and not in months
- Filling and submitting the CAT application form is completely online process which has to be completed on Official IIM CAT 2020 website
- The CAT 2020 Application Fee is Rs.2000. It includes IIM admission application Fee and CAT exam fee. You do not have to pay any other fee for applying to 20 IIMs!
- It is advisable to register and apply for CAT 2020 much before the last date as during the last days of application submission, some technical glitches cannot be ruled out
CAT 2020 Application Form: Important Dates
Application Start date
August 5, 2020
Application Last Date
September 23, 2020 (extended from Sep 16)
Closing time on last date to fill Application form
Source: IIM CAT 2020 Website
CAT Application Form Fee 2020
Application fee for CAT 2020 is Rs.2000 only. It includes IIM application Fee and CAT exam fee. By paying the Application fee, you apply to all the 20 IIMs by default. So, you do not have to pay any other fee for applying to any IIM. More details follow.
Timely Submission of Application Form: Admission Opportunity in 20 IIMs
By completing your CAT Application 2020 and appearing in the exam, you become eligible to be considered in all the following 20 IIMs for admission 2021 final selection process:
All the above IIMs will accept only CAT 2020 exam score to shortlist candidates for final selection round.
In addition to 20 IIMs, more than 500 B-schools including FMS Delhi, SPJIMR Mumbai, MDI Gurgaon, IMI New Delhi, IMT Ghaziabad, Management Departments of IIT Delhi, Mumbai, Madras, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Roorkee, JBIMS Mumbai accept CAT scores. Check list of Top MBA Colleges Accepting CAT. So, successful submission with fee payment of CAT application form is the first and important step to get into IIMs and other Top B-schools in India.
Important: Read more top articles on CAT 2020
How to Apply for CAT 2020
Now, coming to the most important point -- how should you apply for CAT 2020. CAT Application steps are simple and can be completed easily, following this step by step guide:
It is simple! Refer image below. We will take you step by step to complete and submit CAT application and give you all the details soon.
Before we start Step by Step CAT application Guide, take note of these important guidelines on how to fill CAT 2020 application form.
8 Important Guidelines: How to fill CAT Application?
- Keep the entire information like academic details, scanned photo & signature images, application fee payment instruments ready before filling up the CAT application
- After receiving CAT ID and Password do not copy paste it to login and filling up application form as it may give mismatch message. Better to write it in the given space
- Move carefully to fill your CAT 2020 online application form as given in the step by step process. It takes half an hour to complete the application. However, you may complete it in parts also.
- Please ensure to click on ‘save and continue’ after completing each page of CAT application otherwise your filled-in data will not be saved and you will have to fill in all the details again
- You will not be allowed to move further on CAT application, if mandatory information is not filled up.
- Wherever needed, required Certificates, scanned images of photographs, signature are to be uploaded, else your application for CAT will remain incomplete
- If you forget your password while completing the application, you may click on the Forgot Password button on the Existing User login window. The new password will be sent on the email to you, and not as an SMS.
- Once you have made payment of Application fee and submit the application, you will receive a confirmation mail. After this, changes to any information on the application form are not possible.
10 Documents Required to Apply and Submit CAT Application Form 2020 Online
Before you start to fill in your CAT 2020 online application, remember to organize these 10 key documents required to complete CAT application:
- Documents related to your Educational history from class 10 onwards
- Mark sheets – Class-10
- Mark Sheet – Class 12th
- Mark sheet – Bachelor’s Degree/Diploma
- Final Year Certificate from the HoD/Principal (If in final year of bachelor’s degree) also previous year mark sheet
- Work experience Document, if any
- Applicable Certificates to upload (Category/Affidavits)
- Scanned images of your passport size photo and signature. See detail below.
- Prepare and Keep Ready the list of the IIM programmes to which you wish to apply and the preferred interview cities for them, before you fill in the application.
- Keep ready the CAT application fee payment instruments like Debit/Credit cards, Net banking.
CAT 2020 Application Form: Step by Step Process
Now, be ready to apply for CAT 2020. The CAT application process 2020 has opened from August 5 onwards. The Application Form is divided in two parts – Registration and Application. The first part on Registration is meant for new candidates and second part is accessible for the candidates who have completed the first part of registration. CAT application can be completed in following steps:
Step1: Login to CAT website iimcat.ac.in to Create your Profile
First step is to visit CAT 2020 Website -- IIMCAT.ac.in. On the right hand, you will find the window that says ‘New Candidate Registration’. You need to click the ‘Register’ button below ‘New Candidate Registration’ as you are New User. Once you click ‘Register’, a new page titled ‘Register to get User ID and Password’ will open.
Image 1: New Candidate Registration Button
Step-1.1: Register to Get User ID & Password
On ‘Register to get User ID and Password’ Page (see image below), enter your Name, Date of Birth, Email, Country, and Mobile Number. Then, click ‘Generate OTP’ button. You will get one-time OTP that you should verify with security captcha which opens on the left hand side of this page. After validating the OTP, you also need to check ‘I agree’ box in Declaration section and click ‘submit’ button. Refer image 1.1 below.
CAT Centre 2020 will immediately send you CAT 2020 registration ID and password that you can use to login to CAT 2020 main Application Form.
Image 1.1: ‘Register to get User ID and Password’
Step-2: Complete Application in Steps as below:
The step-1 of registration & application process is complete now. You should save your CAT ID and password. It will be required whenever you login in future. To proceed further to fill in CAT application form, now you have to login at CAT website at the window 'Registered candidate login.' You will be directed to fill in the details in your CAT application as in steps below.
Step-2.1: Fill in Personal Details
First, fill your personal details like parents' name, gender, category, nationality, communication address among others. Then, you also need to upload your Photograph, Signature and Caste Certificate.
Step-2.2: Fill in Academic Details from Class 10 onwards
After filling your Personal Details, next you will be directed to fill in all your academics beginning from Class 10 onwards like exam taken, Board/University, marks obtained, maximum marks, percentage of marks among others. The details of professional degree, if any are to be entered on this page.
Step-2.3: Fill the Work Experience obtained after Graduation
After filling your Academic Details, next page that opens is for work experience. If you are a candidate with work experience that you have earned after graduation, enter your experience in months as on 31st July 2020. Select which all industries (like Banking, Auto, IT…) you have worked and enter months of employment.
Step-2.4: Select IIM Programmes & Interview Cities
This page of application requires you to select and tick against the preferred Programmes offered by 20 IIMs. Please note there is no extra fee to choose any programme. You can select and tick all the programmes. However, it is advisable to check your eligibility and then choose the programmes for which you are eligible. For example, if you are a fresher in humanities you are eligible for IIM Ahmedabad PGP programme, but you are not eligible for its FABM or executive programmes. So,Select the best IIM programmes and then select the IIM Interview City for that programme from the respective drop down menu.
Step-2.5: Select 6 preferred CAT Exam Cities
This is very important section of CAT application. There are 156 test cities for CAT 2020 exam. Candidates can choose 6 preferred test cities in order of preference to appear in CAT 2020. The choice of test cities should be made with utmost care to save on travel time with best mode of transport available, and in the manner that if you are not assigned 1st preferred city, other selected cities should also not be difficult to reach in time.
Step-3: Make payment online for CAT 2020 Application Fee
Payment of CAT application fee is the last step while completing your CAT Application form. The payment is to be made online. A General / NC-OBC candidate needs to pay Rs.2000 while an SC/ST/PWD candidate will pay Rs.1000 towards the application & examination fee. The final amount will also include applicable additional charges.
CAT application fee can be paid online through credit cards, debit cards and net banking, so make sure that you are making payment with one of these instruments.
How to Avoid mistake in CAT Application? 10 Points for Error Free Application Submission
Before you apply for CAT 2020, please note the following to successfully complete your application form:
- Carefully enter all the personal details in CAT application form, no correction is allowed later
- Review all the details you have entered on each page
- Please upload correct size of scanned images of your photograph & signature
- Download the EWS, NC-OBC, SC/ST, PwD Certificates from the CAT website, enter the required information and self-attest, scan as PDF documents & upload the certificates on the CAT website
- If you are a Person with Disability (PwD), Select yes in the Application, else you may not be provided assistance at the test centre like wheel chair support and Scribe
- If you need to use a Scribe for the test, arrange the Scribe and fill the Scribe Affidavit form available on the CAT website.
- After you submit the CAT application online and make payment, no Editing is allowed, so be careful
- IIMs may open 2-3 days application error editing window after the last date is over. During the period you may re-upload your right size photograph, may edit a few details but no correction in Personal Details will be allowed
- Check that your CAT application is successfully submitted and you have received the SMS from CAT Exam Centre after form submission
- In case you have made a mistake in the application form, you must register and apply again with a new email ID. Your CAT 2020 application will be considered for the latest application form submission and the Admit Card will be issued for the same. Please note that, you will not receive a refund for erroneous submission of application form nor will you get the Admit Card for your earlier Application.
CAT Application 2020: 5 Major Changes
Compared to previous years, important changes in CAT application 2020 have been introduced by IIM Indore:
- CAT 2020 application window is extended by one week to September 23, 2020 from earlier September 16.
- An increase of Rs.100/- is made in CAT 2020 application fee which has gone upto Rs.2000
- The choice of test cities for Delhi NCR candidates in CAT application is now split into individual test cities like NOIDA, Ghaziabad, Faridabad among others as against one Delhi NCR test city which existed earlier.
- The CAT 2020 applicants can choose separate 6 preferred CAT test cities as against 4 last year
- Your work experience earned after graduation will be calculated in days in CAT 2020 instead of months as was in previous years
CAT Application Trends
CAT exam applications have crossed 2.44 lakh candidates last year. The number has been going up consistently. Number of candidates applying for CAT during last ten years are shared below:
How to select Correct Photographs for upload on CAT Application:
Check that you upload photograph as per the IIMs' prescribed criteria detailed as under to avoid rejection of your CAT application Form subsequently
CAT Application Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. What is the CAT 2020 Application start date?
Ans. CAT Application process starts on August 5, 2020.
Q. What is the CAT 2020 application fee?
Ans. CAT exam application fee is Rs.2000/- for General category and Rs.1000/- for SC/ST category
Q. I am married and have changed my name after marriage. I am appearing in CAT for the first time which name I should enter in the CAT application – Changed Name or as per the degree certificate?
Ans. Please enter your changed name. Provide the supporting documents for change of name at the time of examination, interview and admission.
Q. I have not received the CAT application Password although the application was successful and application fee has been paid. What to do now?
Ans. Click on the Forgot User ID/Password option on the Existing User login page. You will be prompted to enter your registered Email ID and a Captcha string. You will get your new password on your registered email address but not by SMS.
Q. If I apply for CAT after 5 PM on the last date of CAT application, can I get successful registration message from IIMs?
Ans. No, you should complete your CAT application before 5 PM. Usually IIMs close the CAT application at this time but in case of any technical glitches it may remain open for few hours more. However, the move is fraught with risk chances
Q. Can I apply for CAT 2020 in offline mode also?
Ans. No, you can submit only online application for CAT 2020
Q. Is it possible to amend mistake in CAT 2020 application after form submission?
Ans. After submitting the CAT 2020 online application it is not possible to rectify the errors. You will have to re-apply.
Q. Can my score in Masters degree compensate for bachelors degree low score? I scored 76% in Masters but 49% in graduation, can I appear in CAT 2020?
Ans. No, you cannot, you need minimum 50% marks in graduation to appear in CAT 2020 if you are a general category candidate.
Q. What is the size and type of Photograph & signature to be uploaded on CAT 2020 application form?
Ans. The scanned image of your passport photo must be within the dimensions of 30mm X 45mm and for signature the dimensions are 80mm X 35mm.
Q. If I already have a category certificate, can I upload it on CAT 2020 application or I need a new one?
Ans. If you already have a certificate that fulfils the prescribed criteria, you may upload the same.
Q. I was awarded only grades but not percentage of marks in academics? How should I fill it in CAT application?
Ans. You should obtain a certificate from the Board/Institute/University specifying the equivalent marks which should be used for filling the online CAT 2020 application form
Q. I have work experience in the Accounts & finance section of an Automobile company, what should I fill in the application form as the area of work experience - Finance or Automobile?
Ans. Your area of work experience is Finance but the type of company is Automobile. The work experience is to be entered in months till July 31, 2020