CAT Eligibility Criteria 2022: No Requirement of 50% or 45% Minimum Marks in Graduation
CAT 2022 Eligibility criteria to apply for CAT exam also qualifies as the eligibility criteria for IIM admission 2022. However, with the CAT 2022 registration process closed on September 21, you can No longer apply for CAT 2022 exam even if you qualify all the CAT eligibility criteria including CAT eligibility criteria on Academics, Age and all other parameters. CAT 2022 exam is scheduled on November 27, 2022 in 3 slots and the application process with CAT exam eligibility 2022 is closed. Now you need to get ready to check your CAT 2023 eligibility criteria to apply for CAT 2023 exam in the month of August 2023.
CAT Eligibility 2022 & IIMs Admission Eligibility 2023: Graduation Marks
CAT Eligibility for final year students and IIM Admission eligibility regarding percentage of marks obtained in graduation has been revised with many aspirant friendly changes due to Covid pandemic. Key features of changes in CAT eligibility and IIM Admission eligibility criteria regarding graduation marks are as below:
- Last year, the CAT convening IIM had removed the requirement of of minimum 50 or 45 percent of marks in graduation for appearing in the CAT exam due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, which had resulted disruptions in the evaluations across the country.
- This exception is removed this year for writing CAT 2022, but many IIMs have allowed this relaxed eligibility criteria in their selection process.
- The candidates who had completed the bachelor’s degree in 2020, 2021, 2022 but were not awarded percentage in marks are allowed to participate in the selection process of IIMs like IIM Calcutta.
- This relaxation was applicable for writing CAT 2021 but not CAT 2022.
- Accordingly, the candidates who did their graduation in 2020 and 2021 may continue having this relaxation, unless otherwise is specified by CAT convening IIM for CAT 2022.
- For those who completed their graduation earlier or are completing their graduation in 2022, the CAT eligibility criteria for CAT 2022 will be based on marks obtained in bachelor’s degree. The CAT Eligibility Criteria for General & Reserved category candidates define 50% & 45% marks in the qualifying graduation degree.
CAT 2022 Eligibility
To appear in CAT 2022, you should have one of the following academic qualifications
- A graduate in any discipline with minimum 50% marks in bachelor’s degree, if you a general category candidate; or
- Appearing in final year of graduation in 2022; or
- A graduate in any discipline with minimum 45% marks in bachelor’s degree, if you a reserved category candidate
General & NC-OBC Candidates
- The candidate must hold Bachelor’s Degree with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA.
- Candidates who have completed professional degree (CA/CS/ICWA) with 50% marks
Reserved category candidates applying for CAT 2022 are eligible if they possess one of the following qualifications:
- Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) and Differently Abled (DA) category candidates need 45% marks in graduation
- Candidates in final year of Graduation are also eligible to apply for CAT 2022
- Candidates who have completed professional degree (CA/CS/ICWA) with 45% marks
CAT Eligibility for Students who did graduation in 2020 or 2021
- The category wise CAT Eligibility for such students is as under:
- General/NC-OBC/EWS: CAT Eligibility for students in this category requires that the candidates are eligible to apply for CAT 2022. They need to enter promotion/pass for last year, if not awarded percentage of marks in 2021 and 2020.
- SC/ST/PwD Candidates: CAT Eligibility for students in this category requires that the candidates are eligible to apply for CAT 2022. If they are not awarded marks in 2020 and 2021 exam years. They do not need to fill percentage of marks.
CAT Eligibility for final year Students who are appearing in graduation in 2022 & 2023
- These candidates are eligible to apply and appear in CAT 2022.
- They need to submit a certificate by the head of institution that all the requirements of completing bachelor’s degree are completed by them
- These final year students will need to secure minimum 50% marks in graduation (45% for reserved category)
Key Points to ensure your CAT Exam Eligibility 2022
- CAT eligibility criteria 2022 do not impose any age bar to appear in CAT 2022 exam.
- Eligibility for CAT further allows you to appear in CAT 2022 even if you have done graduation in old system of 2 years graduation provided the degree is UGC recognized
- One of the 3 main points in the CAT eligibility criteria 2022 must be fulfilled-
A. Completed Bachelor’s degree, or
B. Completed professional degree (CA/CS/ICWA) with required percentage, or
C. Should be in the final year of Bachelor’s degree
- The marks obtained by the candidate would be calculated based on the practice as followed by the respective University/Institution.
- In case of grades / CGPA, the conversion to percentage of marks would be based on the procedure as certified by the respective University/ institution in accordance with the CAT exam eligibility criteria.
- If any University/institution confirms that there is no scheme for converting CGPA into equivalent marks, the equivalence would be established by dividing the candidate’s CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA, and multiplying the result with 100 as per the CAT 2021 eligibility
- Mere fulfilment of minimum CAT eligibility criteria 2022 will not ensure consideration for short listing by IIMs.
- One of the key points prescribed by IIMs in CAT eligibility 2022 is that the candidates must declare and maintain a valid and unique email account and a phone number throughout the selection process
CAT Eligibility Criteria 2022: Clashing point in CAT Vs IIM Eligibility
Over the years the CAT exam eligibility criteria has more or less remained same. Some changes in CAT eligibility were introduced in 2014. After that, IIMs MBA admission eligibility and CAT exam eligibility criteria have faced few clashing points.
CAT eligibility for 2022 prescribes ‘No Age Bar’ to appear in the CAT 2022 exam nor the IIM MBA eligibility restricts any candidates to seek admission on the basis of age bar. However, one of the clashing points in CAT exam eligibility and IIM MBA eligibility is that although you are allowed to appear in CAT 2022 exam with 2 years of graduation in old system, but you are not allowed to pursue the management course at IIM unless you have completed graduation degree with minimum 3 years duration. Except this anomaly, CAT eligibility for 2022 and IIM MBA eligibility for 2023-25 batch remains the same.
Who is Not Eligible for CAT 2022? IIMs Define
- If you are not pursuing or completed your Bachelor’s degree or any Professional degree like CA/CS/ICWA, you are not eligible to appear for CAT 2022
- If you have not completed any graduation course but you are in the final year of a professional course, which will not award recognized graduate degree, you are not eligible for CAT 2022 exam.
- If your Graduation is not recognized by UGC/AICTE/MHRD-Govt. of India, You are not eligible to apply for CAT 2022
CAT Eligibility Determination: Conversion of CGPA/Grades to Percentage of Marks
To determine CAT Eligibility in case of CGPA is given and no percentage of marks is shared on the marks-sheet, the percentage of marks obtained by the candidate would be calculated based on the practice as followed by the respective University/Institution.
The conversion to percentage of marks from Grades/CGPA would be based on the procedure as certified by the respective University/Institution.
If any University/Institution confirms that there is no scheme for converting CGPA into equivalent marks, the equivalence would be established by dividing the candidate’s CGPA by the maximum possible CGPA, and multiplying the result with 100.
Reservation of Seats
The category wise Seat Reservation in IIMs is as below:
Percentage of Reserved Seats in IIMs
Scheduled Caste (SC)
Scheduled Tribe (ST)
Other Backward Classes of NC-OBC
The Eligibility criteria for CAT exam has not been much changed for CAT 2022. CAT 2022 Eligibility criteria feature some aspirant friendly changes. IIMs have kept the eligibility for CAT Exam on the same ground over the years. The only eligibility criterion change in CAT eligibility was introduced in 2014 when IIMs had announced to accept two years of graduation in CAT exam which continues as the CAT 2022 eligibility criteria also
Q. I'm 2020 BE passed out but I have an arrear am I eligible to write the CAT exam
A. Yes you can write provided the arrear is cleared with required percentage of marks/CGPA/Grade
Q. I am just enter in b tech final year, my B tech will complete in almost June 2023, am I eligible for CAT 2022
A. Yes, you are eligible for CAT 2022