Group Discussion (GD) is an important part of final admission round for MBA/PGDM after getting shortlisted by the B school. A few IIMs, MDI conduct GD along with Personal Interview in the final admission round while SPJIMR Mumbai prefers Group Interviews.
Healthy debate among 8-12 candidates in a specified time period of 12-15 minutes is the Group Discussion round. The strong exchange of opinions on a given topic with logical and thoughtful arguments is supposed to be an indicator of your leadership qualities, judgement of knowledge domain and communication skill. Out of these 8-12 candidates, selection is bestowed on one or two while others get eliminated either due to their inadvertent mistakes or because they are not aware about the rules of the game.
- To emerge a winner in GD round a candidate should speak after getting a grasp on the given topic.
- Irrelevant speaking is not good.
- You should be audible enough during the course of discussion without losing your confidence.
- Express your ideas at length. If you simply follow the other speaker or his ideas, remember your elimination is imminent
- Don’t begin speaking till you gather thoughts
- When you speak you should speak to the point without any ambiguity of thought.
- Don’t crisscross your ideas. The topics given in Group Discussion are debatable, you might like to speak for or against the topic and while speaking you forget that you are crossing your own lines. It gives a bad impact and you are judged a person who has no stand for his own thought.
- Don’t be a part of fish market, be audible....Read more