Updated On: Friday, November 15 2017, 5:19 PM
CAT 2017 Mock test with fewer No-penalty questions was officially released by IIM Lucknow on October 30 after a long wait of more than 10 days. Later some changes appeared to have been made in official CAT Mock Test which increased the number of No-penalty questions back from 19 to 28.
2 very important points observed in the official CAT 2017 Mock released by IIMs are:
- A few MCQs without any negative marking penalty exist in official CAT 2017 Mock test
- Number of questions on LR topics in DILR section have been reduced and added to DI section in CAT 2017 official Mock test
The CAT 2017 Mock test contains 100 questions divided in 3 sections and is a complete guide on CAT syllabus, exam pattern and the process how to use the navigation tools during CAT 2017 exam. Earlier CAT 2017 Mock by IIMs was to be released on October 18 and then the date to make the CAT 2017 Mock available on CAT 2017 website was changed to last week of October.
The official CAT 2017 Mock test by IIMs is supposed to be in conformity with the revamped CAT syllabus. The CAT 2017 Mock released officially by IIMs is significant in the sense that it is a perfect guide about the forthcoming CAT exam pattern and CAT syllabus, type and number of questions in real CAT exam. Solving CAT 2017 Mock test and scoring high in it can help you in determining what percentile score you would get in CAT 2017 exam on November 26.
No-Penalty questions restored to 28
As per the CAT 2017 official Mock test, there would be 28 No-penalty questions in Non-MCQ format in CAT 2017 actual exam divided in 3 sections. Last year the share of no-penalty questions was 25 out of 100 questions. Instead of marking the answer option on computer screen, the CAT examinee will have to write the answer for the Non-MCQ in the given space on the computer screen.
Latest CAT Mock Test Updates:
- CAT 2017 Mock Test Countdown: IIMs to release CAT Mock on October 28 in conformity with CAT syllabus
- CAT 2017 Mock Test reflects changed CAT exam pattern: Non-MCQs reduced, answer options increased
- CAT 2017: What type of Mocks you should take in next 30 days? Advice from IIM toppers & experts
- CAT 2017: 45 days preparation plan from CAT toppers; Study smart & don’t kill your IIM A,B,C chance
- CAT 2017: 5 challenges you must be prepared for; keep your preparation plan ready to change
Section-wise composition of CAT 2017 Mock Test
|Section Name||Total questions||MCQs||Non-MCQs|
Non-MCQs in last 3 years
Number of non MCQs has been restored to 28 in CAT 2017 as against 25 in 2016. There would be 28 No-penalty questions in CAT 2017 as revealed by CAT 2017 Mock test. Even a few MCQs without negative marking are there in CAT 2017 Mock test released by IIMs. Non-MCQs were started in 2015 and their number is getting fluctuated every year.
|CAT year||Number of Non-MCQs||Section-wise break-up in Actual CAT exam till 2016|
|2017||28 (As revealed in official CAT Mock)||VARC-10; DILR-8; QA-10|
|2015||28||VARC-10; DILR-8; QA-10|
Non-MCQs offer higher scoring chances as the candidates have no fear of negative marking. The process to answer a Non-MCQ is that instead of marking the answer option on computer screen, the CAT examinee will have to write the answer for the Non-MCQ in the given space on the computer screen.
Scoring pattern in CAT 2017
- Each correct answer in MCQ or Non-MCQ will be awarded +3 marks
- Each wrong answer in MCQ will attract negative marking of -1 mark
- No penalty of negative marking is applied for Non-MCQs
Key changes in CAT 2017 Mock
The CAT 2017 Mock test is full length indicating the type and number of MCQs and Non-MCQs that you may expect on the day of CAT 2017 exam on November 26. The sample test reflects number of changes in the structure and content of CAT 2017. Candidates should now proceed to take the test to understand the changes in the test pattern that they are going to face on November 26, 2017.
The CAT 2017 official Mock test will continue to be available for the CAT 2017 aspirants till the CAT exam is over. The official CAT Mock test is the most authentic guide with sample questions right from the CAT exam convening IIMs and testing partner TCS. CAT 2017 aspirants can now very well familiarize themselves by practicing the sample questions as many times as they like.
Following are the prominent features of CAT 2017 Mock Test and exam pattern:
- You can attempt CAT 2017 official Mock Test as many times as you like.
- You need not login with any specific user ID or password. Just click on CAT 2017 Mock Test on CAT 2017 website main page iimcat.ac.in and the CAT official Mock opens.
- You will be able to login to the CAT exam paper on November 26 with the ID/Password provided to you by the Test invigilator in the testing room. You cannot login with your CAT registration ID and password.
- Official CAT 2017 Mock contains 100 questions. Same number of questions would appear in CAT 2017 exam.
- CAT 2017 Mock test and the real CAT 2017 exam can be attempted in the pre-arranged order of sections moving from section-1 to Section-3.
- No change in number of sections. CAT 2017 exam will be divided in 3 sections as were there in last 2 years of CAT exam.
- There will be 34 questions in the 1st section-Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC) ; in 2nd section on Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR) there will be 32 questions and the 3rd section on Quantitative Ability (QA) will consist of 34 questions.
- There will be 28 Non MCQ or No-penalty type of questions in CAT 2017 exam divided in 3 sections. VARC – 10 Non-MCQs; DILR- 8 Non-MCQs; Quant - 10 Non-MCQs. Last year CAT had 25 Non-MCQs as Quant section contained 7 Non-MCQs and DILR had 8 Non-MCQs.
- Ratio of DI questions increased from 16 to 20 and that of LR question reduced from 16 to 12 in official CAT 2017 Mock test
- No penalty of negative marking will be applied to wrong answer in Non-MCQs.
- Total allotted time to complete the test will be 3 hours (180 minutes) divided in allocation of 1 hour time for each section.
- You will not be allowed to move to and from between the sections unless the allotted time of 1 hour for that section is over
- All MCQs will carry a penalty of 1/3rd negative marking
- Scoring pattern has changed this year. Now each correct answer will be awarded with +3 marks for MCQs and Non-MCQs. Last year it was +1 mark awarded for each correct answer.
- Negative marking for MCQs in CAT 2017 is to remain -1 mark. Last year it was -1/3 mark.
CAT 2017 Official Mock Test as per revised CAT 2017 syllabus
The official CAT 2017 Mock released by IIMs is as per the changed CAT 2017 syllabus. While the CAT 2017 aspirants have been taking CAT Mock tests from different sources, the Mock released by IIMs reflects the correct CAT 2017 exam pattern and Level of Difficulty (LoD) in the real CAT exam. Interestingly, IIMs make it clear that question pattern and type & number of questions as appear in official CAT 2017 Mock may be different from what you will find in real CAT exam, the question pattern and topics on which questions are placed in CAT Mock have remained on similar lines as appear in real CAT exam during last 2-3 years.
Login page for CAT Mock test
Last year CAT Mock test was released on October 25, 2016. Since CAT 2017 exam remains on the same pattern as that of last year CAT, it is very important and in the interest of CAT 2017 aspirants to practice the last year CAT official Mock Test also, as if they are appearing in the real CAT exam.
The official CAT Mock reflects the correct CAT exam pattern, CAT exam syllabus and structure and content of the CAT questions that would be asked in CAT 2017 exam.
How important is official CAT Mock Test
- The official CAT Mock test is the right source to know the exact CAT 2017 exam pattern
- The LoD of CAT questions can be understood only by practicing official CAT Mock test.
- In view of CAT toppers studying at IIM Ahmedabad, FMS Delhi, IIM Indore and other prominent B-schools, CAT Mocks are the most important preparation tool for CAT exam.
Exact number of questions proposed to be asked in CAT 2017 exam can be known only with the official CAT Mock test.
Instructions & sectional composition of CAT Mock
During the last 2 years CAT exam has remained on the same pattern as reflected in CAT 2017 Mock test. Last year official CAT Mock is also on the same pattern as that of CAT 2017 official Mock test. It is recommended to take this year CAT Mock as well as last year CAT mock as many times as possible to know exactly about CAT 2017 exam pattern.
RC Passage with MCQs
There are 28% questions of Non-MCQ type in CAT 2017 as shared in CAT 2017 Mock test released by IIMs. The last year official CAT Mock also had the same number of questions. Take this year as well as last year CAT mock as it helps you to know about the correct division of MCQs and Non-MCQs in CAT 2017 exam
Verbal Ability Non-MCQ question type
CAT 2017 is a computer based test and is not an online exam. If you take official CAT Mock you will become conversant about the number of answer options, navigation tools in CAT exam, individual time limit for each of the 3 sections.
Navigation tools for CAT exam
- CAT 2017 success mantra by IIM Ahmedabad CAT 100 percentiler, Gyayak Jain ‘Mix match various type of problems’
- ‘Focus on improving Accuracy in CAT 2017’ Success mantra from IIM Ahmedabad student Chanchal Gupta
- CAT topper & IIM Indore student Priya Sahni shares Success Mantra “Enhance your analytical skills”
- CAT 2017 Success mantra from IIM Ahmedabad student Akhil “I preferred self preparation”
- FMS Delhi student & CAT topper with 100 percentile Mukesh Goyal shares Success Mantra “Peer discussion helps a lot”
- FMS Delhi: CAT topper Atul Goyal shares Success Mantra “2 months are not less to score 99 percentile”