CAT 2020 exam date is Sunday, November 29, 2020. To help the aspirants preparing for CAT 2020, MBAUniverse.com has published a series of articles on CAT preparation plan & strategy adopted by CAT toppers studying at IIM Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Calcutta, Lucknow, MDI Gurgaon among others. Below are shared the interview excerpts with CAT preparation tips by CAT Topper Rahul Gupta, and IIM Ahmedabad student of 2020-22 batch
CAT 2019 topper with 100 percentile and IIM Ahmedabad student of PGP 2020-22 batch, Rahul Gupta converted all the top four IIMs. Rahul was a working professional when he started preparing for the exam. Since there was no time to join class room coaching, Rahul preferred self preparation. He suggests to begin with basics, understand the logic behind the solution and then apply them while attempting the questions.
Rahul appeared in XAT 2020 also and scored 99.99 percentile. He converted XLRI but decided in favour of IIM-A. He likes playing Badminton, Reading and Swimming. A B.Tech from IIT Roorkee, Rahul hails from the Financial Capital of India – Mumbai. He had earned 2 years of working experience in diverse roles before joining IIM Ahmedabad.
Q: How did you perform in CAT 2019?
A: I scored 100 overall percentile in CAT 2019. My sectional percentile score was 99.91 in VARC; 99.95 in LRDI and 99.97 in Quantitative Ability section.
Q: Apart from CAT 2019, which other exams did you appear?
A: Apart from CAT 2019, I appeared in XAT 2020 and scored 99.99 percentile.
Q: Which top B-schools have offered you admission and which one you have finally chosen?
A: Apart from getting final admission offer from IIM Ahmedabad, I have converted IIM Calcutta, IIM Bangalore, IIM Lucknow. I also converted XLRI as I scored 99.99 percentile in XAT. I finally decided to join IIM Ahmedabad
Q: What have been your academics? Do you have some work experience as well?
A: I am a B. Tech in ,Chemical Engineering from IIT Roorkee and have 2yrs of work experience as Software Engineer and in Fidelity Investments
Q: What was your overall preparation strategy for CAT?
A: I started my preparation in July. Tried to study around 2-2.5 hrs a day as I was working at the time as well. The overall strategy was:
- Initially focused on getting the basics correct and solving some easy questions to get comfortable with the subject then move on to try higher level problems
- Started giving the mocks as soon as they started instead of waiting till end.
- Used to analyze the solutions extensively to check what mistakes I made or the questions I missed during the test. It helped me to decide the topics I needed to put more efforts in.
Q: Please share your preparation strategy for VARC Section?
A: For RC mainly it was about understanding the passage and selecting the correct options. Initially solved questions without tracking time to build the correct logic. Then gradually focused on improving the speed while maintaining accuracy. Reading other articles or books helped in increasing speed. Practiced lot of questions to improve my accuracy in VA section
Q: How did you prepare for DILR Section?
A: I solved some basic questions covering various types of topics under the section. Then just solved a lot of questions whether from online tests, mocks to any material available.
Q: Please share your preparation strategy for Quant Section?
A: I solved a lot of questions for each topic and practised the tricks to help reduce the time per question. Started from the basic topics such as Number system and Percentage, etc then moved to other topics. Kept revisiting any topic If I made too many errors in any test.
Q: Was there any particular section/area that you were weak at? How did you overcome this challenge?
A: Had some issues with accuracy in VARC initially, then tried to understand the logic behind solutions and to apply them while solving questions. Revisited every question after a mock and try to come up with the correct answers for any question missed. For LRDI the main issue was time management during the test. I tried to reduce my expectations initially and to try and solve only 4 sets in a mock. This helped with improving accuracy and with set selection. Tried to solve more questions gradually. For Quant it was mainly about improving speed and accuracy making minimum mistakes. Solving a lot of questions helped with this.
Q: What role did Mocks play in your success? How many mocks did you attempt before the exam?
A: Before the exam I attempted around 15-16 mocks and some additional sectional tests. I made sure I took the mocks with the schedule and not wait till the end. It helped me being consistent and gave ample time to analyze the mocks as well. Mocks played a huge role in improving my performance as I got to know my strengths and weaknesses by analyzing my past performance and to work on my test strategy as well.
Q: Did you self-prepare or attend a coaching centre and why?
A: I prepared by myself with the help of some materials I had from various classes. I could not find enough time to attend classes along with work and felt that self-learning would be more efficient for me.
Q: Please share your strategy for the CAT Day. What was your last-minute preparation? How did you plan your CAT test taking?
A: I tried to keep myself relaxed on the day of exam. Worrying too much makes me do silly mistakes which I wanted to avoid. My centre was from my place so made sure all the bookings were done properly so I don’t have to worry about them on the day of exam. Tried to get a good sleep the night before and tried not to think much about any topic or subject to avoid last minute panic.
Q: How did you prepare for GD/PI/WAT. Please share your GD/WAT topics & PI questions?
A: I joined IMS to prepare for GD/PI which provided me with lot of mock interviews and WATs. The suggestions and comments I got were really helpful in improving my answers and to boost my confidence. Having a variety of interviews helped me prepare for various situations in the interviews and helped me perform well.
Q: Your final message and tips for candidates preparing for CAT 2020.
A: My message to everyone attempting CAT would be to be consistent with the studies as well as the mocks. Consistency will help in improving the speed and accuracy. Attempting mocks and analyzing them would expose them to a lot of questions and would help identify weaknesses. Having a proper strategy to attempt the paper matters as much as the knowledge as CAT requires a lot of speed as well. Do cover the basics first and then focus on improving speed and trying different strategies in mocks and find the one suitable to you.
This article is published in partnership with IMS Learning, India’s leading CAT Coaching Institute. To know more about their CAT 2020 Online Preparation & Test Series, and to get extra 10% MBAUniverse.com Reader Discount, check details here.
Read more inspirational stories & secret mantras of CAT Toppers, only on MBAUniverse.com
- CAT 2023 Toppers: How Nishakar Kumar achieved 99.83% - A Saga of Dedication and Hard Work
- CAT 2023 Topper Shiladitya Bhadra tells MBAUniverse.com How He Scored 99.4% - Check Section wise Raw Score, Scaled Score and Percentile
- Why SPJIMR is A Preferred Destination for CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile? Aditya, Prateek, Pooja, Sundar Joined SPJIMR Mumbai and Declined IIMs, XLRI, IITs, MDI, SIBM; Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- Why CAT 2022 Topper with 99.44%ile, Akshat Agarwal, declined IIMs, MDI to Join MBA at IIT Delhi; How he prepared & cracked the Exam-MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile Jatin, Shrey, Vishal, Nikhil Joined IIM Kashipur and Declined Other Top B-schools? Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- How Pooja Sudhakar from Chennai, Working as Marketing Professional at Mockat, cracked CAT 2022 with 99.11%ile, and got into SPJIMR Mumbai
- XLRI Student Nipun Garg Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.95% and CAT 2022 with 97.02; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over IIMs, MDI - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Jay Bosamia, A Chartered Accountant with Work Experience at PwC & Reliance overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 98.79%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- XLRI Student Tanish Jain Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.99% and CAT 2022 with 99.78; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over FMS - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Patna's Prateek Rai secured 99.80%ile in CAT 2022 and joined SPJIMR Mumbai by sacrificing Social Media, uninstalling YouTube, and overcoming his Weaknesses
- How K. Sashank, Software Developer at JIO from Coimbatore overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 99.90%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- ‘XAT Not More Difficult than CAT’ Nandagopal V Busts the Myth; Scored 99.99%ile in XAT 2023 and 99.15%ile in CAT 2022; Declines Top IIMs to join XLRI Jamshedpur - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Gurgaon Girl & NIFT Graduate Kirti Goyal Cracks CAT with 99.1%ile, Secures admission at IIM Kozhikode! Shares her success strategies with MBAUniverse.com
- How Mumbai Girl and VJTI Engineer Srishti Yadav overcame her weakness to crack CAT with 99.69%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- Why Amit Kumar Chakraborty, CAT 2022 Topper with 99.34 %ile & XAT 2023 Topper with 99.55%ile declined NITIE, SPJIMR, MDI to join XLRI Jamshedpur; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Soumik Banerjee, an Engineer Working with Public Sector, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.95%ile and Got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Bhanu Pratap, A Small Town Boy from Farmer Family and a Fresher, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.67%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Mehak Rathi, a Psychologist & Graphologist, cracked CAT 2022 with 98.08 % to get into MDI Gurgaon - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 Topper from Agriculture Family, Kunal declined IIMs, IIFT to join MDI Gurgaon; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Defense Personnel Ward and Consultant at Deloitte, Avinash Cracked IIFT Entrance and Got into IIFT Delhi MBA (IB) 2023-25 – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How An Agriculture Science Graduate, Amit Shailesh cracked CAT 2022 with 96.42%ile and got into IIM Lucknow – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 & IIFT Topper Pushti Shah declined 11 IIMs to join IIFT Delhi; How She cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Chemical Engineer and Fresher Shivam cracked CAT 2022 with 99.84%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Software Tester Shreyasee Sarkar cracked CAT 2022 with 99.68%ile and got into IIM Calcutta
- How a CA and Asset Management Expert cracked CAT 2021 with 94.78%ile to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How a CA, NTSE Scholar and a Published Poet cracked CAT 2021 with 98.49% to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Ekansh Gupta, a Poet and Working Professional from Moradabad cracked CAT with 99.91 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How a BBA Graduate and Fresher from Surat, Yashvi Bansal Cracked CAT with 94.72%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Arts & Craft lover, a blogger with BMS, Pranita Maheshwari Cracked CAT with 98.81%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How a BMS Graduate from DU working at DE Shaw, Nandan Goel cracked CAT with 99.95 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How A Graphic Designer, Painter with B.Tech, Nancy Jain Cracked CAT 2020 with 99.72 %ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021-23
- How Software Developer at Nomura and IEM Kolkata Graduate from Surat - Shubham cracked CAT with 99.98%ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How an Animation & VFX Lover with B.Tech Venkata Satya Srikar Medisetti from Tuni Cracked CAT with 98.44%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA
- How A Kathak Dancer, Painter & Engineer Vasundhara Tiwari, Working as Accounts Manager –cracked CAT with 96.68%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Electrical Engineer & Working Professional Shuktisindhu Mondal Cracked CAT 2019 & got IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How National Medalist in Swimming, A Triathlon Participant & Chemical Engineer Tanishq Diddee Cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How Doordarshan Anchor, Kathak Dancer and Graduate in Tourism, Shefali Chhaya cracked CAT 2019 and Got into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Miss India Finalist and Law Graduate Adya Niraj cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- CAT Toppers Video Series: How Masscom grad Sandeep Rajguru cracked CAT to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- An NGO Activist and BBA from Surat, Nikita cracked CAT with 99.22%ile; Preferred PGPM at MDI Gurgaon instead of IIMs
- How CA Anushree Naik juggled her finance job in Mumbai, and yet cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIMA! MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Video Series with CAT Toppers: Tanuj Ruia tells MBAUniverse.com how he cracked CAT and PI/WAT Round to get into IIM Bangalore
- Chandanbala, a B.Com with 51% Cracks CAT 2019 with 98.28%ile; Gets into IIM Udaipur; Never found Questions too Hard
- How Alappuzha Girl and NIT Calicut Graduate Sruthy cracked CAT with 97.71%ile and got into IIM Lucknow for MBA 2020!
- How Working Professional & IIT Roorkee Graduate Rahul Gupta cracked CAT with 100%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
- How Surat Boy and NIT Hamirpur Graduate Shantanu Yadav cracked CAT with 99.7%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on CAT Preparation Strategy by Toppers