You may find fewer Non-MCQs (No-penalty) questions in CAT 2017 as against past 2 years, if the CAT 2017 test paper adheres to the CAT 2017 official Mock test released by IIM Lucknow today on October 30.
The DILR section in CAT 2017 exam may contain only 4 Non-MCQs as against earlier 8 while Quantitative Ability section may consist of only 5 Non-MCQs as against 7 in 2016 and 10 in 2015. This will increase the risk of getting negative marking in more questions as wrong answers in Non-MCQs are not imposed with any negative marking.
- Take official CAT Mock test
- CAT 2017 Mock Test Countdown: IIMs to release CAT Mock on October 28 in conformity with CAT syllabus
- CAT 2017: What type of Mocks you should take in next 30 days? Advice from IIM toppers & experts
CAT 2017 Test Paper: How would it look like?
Following is expected to be the structure and content of CAT 2017 Test paper as revealed in IIMs’ CAT 2017 Mock Test:
Non-MCQs getting reduced each year
There would be only 19 No-penalty questions in Non-MCQ format in CAT 2017 as revealed by CAT 2017 Mock test. Non-MCQs were started in 2015 and their number is getting reduced every year.
|CAT year||Number of Non-MCQs||Section-wise break-up in Actual CAT exam till 2016|
|2017*||19||VARC-10; DILR-4; QA-5|
|2015||28||VARC-10; DILR-8; QA-10|
* As per CAT 2017 official Mock test
Non-MCQs offer higher scoring chances as the candidates have no fear of negative marking. The process to answer a Non-MCQ is that instead of marking the answer option on computer screen, the CAT examinee will have to write the answer for the Non-MCQ in the given space on the computer screen.
Since, Non-MCQ question will not carry any negative marking, it means that even if the CAT 2017 test taker writes a wrong answer in the given space on computer screen, no penalty of 1/3 negative marking will be imposed for the wrong answer.
It will help the CAT 2017 aspirants to attempt these Non-MCQs and score high as the correct answers will be awarded with +3 marks each while no penalty of negative marking will be there for wrong answer. Even if more such questions are attempted with wrong answer, there is no fear of deduction of marks.
Key changes in CAT 2017 Mock
The CAT 2017 Mock test is full length indicating the type and number of MCQs and Non-MCQs that you may expect on the day of CAT 2017 exam on November 26. The sample test reflects number of changes in the structure and content of CAT 2017. Candidates should now proceed to take the test to understand the changes in the test pattern that they are going to face in a month’s time on November 26, 2017.
Now the CAT Sample test will continue to be available for the CAT 2017 aspirants till the CAT exam is over. With number of changes in the CAT 2017 exam pattern, the test is supposed to be the most authentic guide with sample questions right from the horse’s mouth. CAT 2017 aspirants can now very well familiarize themselves by practicing the sample questions as many times as they like.
MBAUniverse.com received number of such queries on the expected nature of correct CAT 2017 exam pattern. Now with the release of CAT 2017 official mock test, the exact CAT 2017 exam pattern has been made clear. Following are the prominent features of CAT 2017 exam pattern:
- There would be only 19 Non MCQ type of questions in CAT 2017 exam divided in 3 sections. VARC – 10 Non-MCQs; DILR- 4 Non-MCQs; Quant - 5 Non-MCQs. Last year CAT had 25 Non-MCQs as Quant section contained only 7 Non-MCQs.
- CAT did not have such answer options as Not applicable, Not determinable, None of these but the CAT 2017 Mock reflects such answer options this year.
- CAT till 2016 had only 4 answer options. Many questions in CAT 2017 official Mock test shows 5 answer options while other questions have only 4 answer options. This anomaly is more in Quant section.
- You will be able to login to the CAT exam paper on November 26 with the ID/Password provided to you by the Test invigilator in the testing room. You cannot login with your CAT registration ID and password.
- Official CAT 2017 Mock contains 100 questions. Same number of questions would appear in CAT 2017 exam.
- CAT 2017 Mock test and the real CAT 2017 exam can be attempted in the pre-arranged order of sections moving from section-1 to Section-3 with an individual time slot of 1 hour assigned for each section.
- No change in number of sections. CAT 2017 exam will be divided in 3 sections as were there in last 2 years of CAT exam.
- There will be 34 questions in the 1st section-Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC) ; in 2nd section on Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR) there will be 32 questions and the 3rd section on Quantitative Ability (QA) will consist of 34 questions.
- No penalty of negative marking will be applied to wrong answer in Non-MCQs.
- Total allotted time to complete the test will be 3 hours (180 minutes) divided in allocation of 1 hour time for each section.
- You will not be allowed to move to and from between the sections unless the allotted time of 1 hour for that section is over
- All MCQs will carry a penalty of 1/3rd negative marking
- Scoring pattern has changed this year. Now each correct answer will be awarded with +3 marks for MCQs and Non-MCQs. Last year it was +1 mark awarded for each correct answer.
- Negative marking for MCQs in CAT 2017 is to remain -1 mark. Last year it was -1/3 mark.
IIMs’ CAT Mock as per revised CAT 2017 syllabus
CAT 2017 aspirants were very much worried as regards to the exact nature of the CAT 2017 exam, its sectional composition and the division of MCQs and Non-MCQs.
The official CAT 2017 Mock released by IIMs is as per the changed CAT 2017 syllabus. While the CAT 2017 aspirants have been taking CAT Mock tests from different sources, the Mock released by IIMs reflects the correct CAT 2017 exam pattern and Level of Difficulty (LoD) in the real CAT exam. Interestingly, IIMs make it clear that question pattern and type & number of questions as appear in official CAT 2017 Mock may be different from what you will find in real CAT exam, the question pattern and topics on which questions are placed in CAT Mock have remained on similar lines as appear in real CAT exam during last 2-3 years.
CAT Mock with 100 questions
The sample test contains 100 questions divided in 3 sections beginning with VARC with 34 questions; DILR with 32 questions and Quant with 34 questions.
While VARC and Quant sections have 10 Non-MCQs each, the DILR section has 8 Non-MCQs divided equally in DI and LR parts with 4 Non-MCQs each. The CAT 2017 sample test has again indicated that the candidates preparing in-depth vocabulary and error correction topics on Grammar and other parts of English Language should focus more on Reading comprehension as it commands 70% weightage in VARC section.
Will the Actual CAT exam be different?
Although the instructions in CAT sample test confirm the notion and say that the actual number of questions, including the number of MCQ and Non-MCQ type of questions, could be different in CAT 2017 actual exam, the trend for the last 2 CAT exam years reflect that the sample test has proved to be the right indicator of the topics and type of questions in the CAT exam. Accordingly, it can be anticipated that CAT 2017 actual exam will also follow the pattern as reflected in the CAT 2017 sample test enabled by IIM Lucknow.
PWD/DA candidates to have 240 minutes to complete the test
CAT 2017 test duration is for a total time of 3 hours. PWD/ DA candidates with scribe requirements will be allowed total 60 minutes extra, implying 20 minutes extra in every section to attempt the CAT 2017 test paper. All candidates will start the test at the same time. Candidates are to remain at their seats for the entire duration of the test even if they complete their test early.
CAT 2017 aspirants have anxiously been waiting for the Sample test right from the beginning. IIMs have stopped making the sample test available with the opening of CAT registration process. Thousands of CAT 2017 aspirants who have been approaching MBAUniverse.com and CAT 2017 helpline regarding the delay in making live the Sample Test have taken a sigh of relief now.
Since the test is published by the CAT Centre 2017, there should not be any doubt about the type of questions proposed to appear in the exam and the proposed CAT 2017 exam pattern. Aspirants should practice the test, understand its key points, focus on similar type of questions in their CAT 2017 preparation and cover complete CAT Syllabus.
CAT 2017 scores will be accepted by 20 IIMs, FMS Delhi, SPJIMR Mumbai, MDI Gurgaon, IMI New Delhi, IMT Ghaziabad, Great Lakes, LIBA, NITIE Mumbai, JBIMS Mumbai, TAPMI Manipal, XIM Bhubaneshwar among others for admission to MBA/PGDM 2018-20.
IIM Lucknow has released the official CAT 2017 Mock test now on October 30 after a long wait of more than 10 days. The CAT 2017 Mock test contains 100 questions divided in 3 sections and is a complete guide on CAT syllabus, exam pattern and the process how to use the navigation tools during CAT 2017 exam. Earlier CAT 2017 Mock by IIMs was to be released on October 18 and then the date to make the CAT 2017 Mock available on CAT 2017 website iimcat.ac.in was changed to last week of October.
Prof Neeraj Dwivedi, Convener CAT 2017 and faculty at IIM Lucknow had announced earlier, “
Tutorial to understand the format of the test will be available on the CAT website from 18th October 2017. Candidates are advised to work on the tutorials, available on the website, well in advance.”
However, confirming the delay in release of CAT 2017 official Mock test, the CAT convener shared with MBAUniverse.com “The mock test is likely to be available on the website by end October.” Keeping the commitment, the convener of CAT 2017 exam has made the CAT 2017 Mock test available on October 30.
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on CAT 2017
MBA/PGDM Admissions 2018 Open - Important Dates
For your benefit, MBAUniverse.com has listed important MBA/PGDM Admission Application Deadlines. Check now:
XLRI – XAT 2018
Application to XAT is open till November 30 without late fee and till December 15 with late fee
Application for PGPM 2018-20 at MDI Gurgaon is open till November 24, 2017
IMI New Delhi
Application for PGDM 2018-20 at IMI New Delhi is open till December 4, 2017
Application for PGDM 2018-20 at IMT Ghaziabad is open till November 24, 2017
Application for MBA 2018-20 at XIM Bhubaneswar is open till December 8, 2017
SCMHRD, Pune – SNAP 2017
SNAP 2017 registration is open till November 24, 2017
Great Lakes Chennai and Gurgaon
The application for 2 years PGDM 2018-20 is open till Feb 25, 2018
KJ SIMSR Mumbai
Application for PGDM 2018-20 at K J Somaiya is open till January 31, 2018
Application for PGDM 2018-20 at GIM Goa is open till January 3, 2018
Online Application for PGDM 2018-20 at LIBA is open till January 31, 2018 at a cost of Rs.1500/-
Application to IBSAT 2017 is open till December 12, 2017
Application for PGDM 2018-20 at CIMP is open till March 2nd week, 2018
Online & offline Application for PGDM 2018-20 at SDMIMD is open till February 28, 2018 with application fee of Rs.1250/-
Application for PGP 2018-19 at SOIL is open till February 25, 2018
SIBM Hyderabad – SNAP 2017
To apply to SIBM Hyderabad, apply to SNAP 2017 on Dec 17 and also apply to SIBM-H in the SNAP Form
To apply to SIBM Bengaluru, apply to SNAP 2017 on Dec 17 and also apply to SIBM-B in the SNAP Form
Take CAT 2017 Mock Full Length: To assess your preparation in revised CAT 2017 exam pattern with 100 questions.
Section 1: Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension
Section 2: Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
Section 3: Quantitative Ability