Group Discussion in fact is a selection as well as elimination round before the final admission to the B school. If two candidates out of the group of eight candidates are selected – remaining six are eliminated. It implies that the winner in this round is one who can make the best impact on the group.
What is desired in GD round?
Future managers will require communicating with number of people in all walks of life- like their colleagues, customers, higher ups, in making policy decision etc. This will require effective expression power and utilizing the knowledge in a systematic manner. The crux of the idea is – who and how one makes the mark in the group with his ability to express himself.
The topic given in the group could be a current national, international problem, financial crisis, some social, political, religious or other abstract issue. How do you present yourself will amount to your approach in solving the issue?
7 Effective Do’s to win GD for MBA admission
1. Take positive stand even if you are critical to the topic. Your criticism should suggest how to overcome the problem. The presentation must have a clear and coherent flow of ideas with the support of facts and figures at least to some extent.
2. Be confident with whatever you speak. If you are confident enough, you can take the lead, speak a minute or two and then taking more clues from others put forward your analysis of problem/situation. This will give you an edge. More confident you are, more chances of selection await you.
3. Be a good listener. A future manager must not only be a convincing speaker, good analyst of situation but also a patient listener otherwise his decisions will be one sided which may be harmful. Hence it is judged whether you can listen to others attentively and put forward your views when the person in front you has spoken or you don’t even allow him to speak.
Click below to Apply to top B schools for MBA Admission 2014
4. GD round is a test of your behavior and vision. If you shout on others – you may not be a good option to be offered a managerial position in future. If you are open minded you will welcome others’ ideas OR after listening to them may politely but firmly place you view point why they are not so beneficial.
5. Display effectively your Interpersonal skills of interaction with the leadership qualities like decision making etc in the group discussion round. For example on a hot topic like “FDI in retail is a boon for India” you may be having your views for or against the topic. Now attend to the following tips –
i) When you start the discussion you must introduce the topic in a line or two;
ii) If you do not favor it, your delivery must have the points to convince the group that you are right in your decision;
iii) Place some penetrating thoughts, facts and figures on agriculture, organized unorganized retail business, etc;
iv) You must have clarity of thought on how beneficial will be the FDI in retail;
v) Compare small retailers vs. retail giants with special reference to Indian Economy;
vi) Finally what impact the policy could have on economy.
Prepare for XAT 2014, NMAT, SNAP, IBSAT, CMAT, MAHCET 2014
6. Aspirants must show a good knowledge on the topic in GD round. When you begin speaking, your quotes, facts, figures coherent delivery of ideas, let them become the measuring points of subject knowledge and outstanding personality.
Prepare General Awareness section for XAT 2014 exam
To score high marks in XAT 2014 General Awareness section, click below to practice GK questions
7. It is in the interest of the aspirant to understand the topic and then decide whether it will be fine to speak for or against it-of course, putting forward the points to make the delivery quite effective. It is suggested to go through the newspapers, watch TV news & discussions apart from reading important periodicals regularly to broaden the vision and form your view point on important issues.
For any doubts and queries related to the exam pattern, preparations and other related queries about MBA entrance exams like XAT, NMAT, SNAP, CMAT and MBA Admission 2014, click here http://www.mbauniverse.com/mbau_faq/client.php
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for Expert articles on GD PI WAT preparation for Admission 2014