Personal Interview in IIM, XLRI, IIFT, should be a discussion giving you an opportunity to enjoy the same instead of feeling a pressure of torturous question answer session. Your interviewers have the capability of assessing you with your gestures, postures and the response you come with, to their very first question.
The saying ‘First impression is the last impression’ is true to a large extent when you face the interview. After The first few minutes the interview board is simply confirming itself of the first impression.
Important Tips –
1. Get well prepared – Go for versatile reading and mock personal interviews.
2. Your views in GD – Questions may be framed on whatever you spoke in group discussion, your views and way of presentation. So be ready to effectively answer the probable questions based on your GD performance.
3. A top notch Business school personal interview can go for specific questions related to your work experience, your goals, your strengths and weaknesses, your grasp on your favorite subject and the things you might have filled up in the form. There may be generic questions based on broad aspects like “ Tell about yourself”, “ How do you OR Where do you see yourself 5 years down the line”, “Why go for MBA after Engineering”, etc. Such questions make you a little relaxed since you already know what to put forth as the answer. However, the more important thing is your approach and how you respond to it.
Click here to score high marks in GD PI WAT at Top B school for Admission 2014:
4. Be natural and don’t go for copying someone. If you do, it will be like a mask through which your interviewers can very well judge you. Please do remember you are you, you cannot be he. So please don’t try to change your DNA.
5. Even if you have all the negative thoughts about some action, policy matters – present them in a balanced manner with a positive thinking for future. Do not criticize too much the policies of the Government, B-schools, corporate bodies etc. If you have some suggestion for their betterment, you can put them forth in brief, if required.
6. Do not go on speaking simply because you find a long pause after you have finished answering a question. It might give an opportunity to the interviewers to grill you on something you have inadvertently spoken. Remember Brevity is the soul of wit. So be brief and to the point.
7. Use simple and communicative language in an effective manner. Any wrong use of figurative and idiomatic language in conversation might get you deviated and put you in trouble.
Click below to Apply to top B schools for MBA Admission 2014
8. Try to take the interview board to your domain of knowledge and skills. When you answer a question in PI, you may use such sentences and words on which the interview board gets curious but you are comfortable with the same. It depends on your skills how to mould the interview to your desired direction. The opportunity is to be created by you while presenting the answers to their questions.
9. Please do not beat about the bush during PI rounds. Never try to mislead the interviewers by guessing and concocting an answer. You will be caught in your own web and will lose whatever credit you earned earlier.
10. The substance is that you must know how to succeed. The success will come once you know how to market yourself before the interview board. This is your approach to present yourself in the interview and the way you answer the questions, will secure your seat in your desired B-school and not the questions themselves.
To be successful in this round, no doubt, you have to be well prepared for the volley of oncoming questions. These are not the questions that are tough or out of this world, but your approach to answer them in a witty, positive and subtle manner gives you an edge. Don’t get at all irritated, come what may.
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for Expert articles on GD PI WAT and MBA Admission 2014