Breaking the myth that cracking CAT and getting into Top IIMs needs long study hours only, the inspirational story of Shuktisindhu Mondal who, despite being a working professional for more than three years, cracked CAT 2019 with 93.26 percentile and converted IIM Ahmedabad, proves that success comes with determination.
Shuktisindhu is a graduate in Electrical Engineering from Calcutta Institute of Engineering & Management (CIEM) and had earned 41 months of work experience as software engineer at Tech Mahindra before joining MBA at IIM Ahmedabad.
Shuktisindhu scored 93.26 percentile in CAT 2019 and converted IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Ranchi, IIM Trichy, IIM Udaipur among others.
What is even more inspiring about Shuktisindhu is that he was working full time while preparing for CAT 2019 in his own way. He has a great interest in space research and new renewable energy technology and devotes his time in learning new things about them. His success also shows how a working professional can prepare well without having much time with him and can crack CAT while balancing among the multi dimensional roles.
Alert! MBA Admissions 2024 Closing for Top CAT, XAT Colleges | Apply Now
|GREAT LAKES Chennai | Closing Soon | Apply Now
|BIMTECH Greater Noida | Closing Soon |Apply Now
|BIM Trichy | Closing Soon | | Apply Now
|JAGSoM Bangalore Admission 2024 | Apply Now
|SDA Bocconi Asia Center Admission | Apply Now
|IFMR GSB Krea University | Closing Soon | Apply Now
|Woxsen University Admission 2024 | Apply Now
|Jaipuria Institute of Management | Apply Now
|IMT Nagpur | Closing Soon | Apply Now
|IMT Hyderabad |Closing Soon| Apply Now
|SOIL Gurgaon | Closing Soon | Apply Now
|Mahindra University Hyderabad MBA Apply Now
|IBA Bangalore Admission 2024 | Apply Now
|JIMS Rohini Delhi PGDM Admission 2024 | Apply Now
Got Interview Calls? Attend MOCK GD & PI by MALAY RAY Sir Missed Calls? Check Best B-schools To Apply with CAT/XAT 50-80%? Attend Free Webinar on Saturday, Feb 24, 5:00 PM | Register Now
Undoubtedly, Mondal’s journey wasn’t a cakewalk. It required persistence, focus, immense self-belief and discipline. MBAUniverse.com interviewed Shuktisindhu Mondal to understand his CAT preparation journey, how he cracked IIM Ahmedabad interview and more. So, read on for getting inspired and accelerating your CAT journey!
Q: Let us begin with your performance in CAT 2019. How did you perform in the exam?
A: I scored 93.26 overall percentile in CAT. My sectional percentile scores were; 97.18 percentile in VARC section; 90.01 in DILR Section and 80.83 percentile in Quantitative Ability section.
Q: Apart from CAT, which other exams did you appear and how cid you perform in them?
A: Apart from CAT 2019, I appeared in IIFT, scored 63.67 Percentile; SNAP, scored 93.81 Percentile; XAT, scored 60.88 Percentile and NMAT in which I scored 193.
Q: So, which B-schools did you finally convert?
A: Apart from getting final admission offer from IIM Ahmedabad for PGP 2020-22 batch, I converted IIM Ranchi, IIM Trichy, IIM Udaipur, IIM Raipur, IIM Kashipur, IIM Sambalpur, IIM Amritsar, IIM Bodh Gaya, IIM Sirmaur, NITIE, IRMA, IIT Roorkee and IIT Madras.
Q. Great Achievement, tell us about your academics, interests and family back ground? Please also share about your work experience as well?
A: I am a B.Tech in Electrical Engineering from Calcutta Institute of Engineering & Management (CIEM). After graduation till I joined IIM Ahmedabad, I earned 41 months of work experience as software engineer with Tech Mahindra. I have keen interest in reading Fictional Novels and Swimming. I am also interested in learning about space research and new renewable energy technology. I belong to Kolkata and we are a family of four. My father is retired (Ex Govt Employee), my mother is homemaker, my brother is pursuing studies (Post Graduate).
Q: Coming to your CAT preparation, what was your overall preparation strategy?
A: For me the CAT preparation started exactly one year before CAT 2019. I joined IMS classroom classes which helped me in understanding the subjects as well as I clearing doubts. I also gave SIMCATs (Mock Exams) regularly to asses my current condition and prepare strategy for the next exam. My mentors from IMS played a vital role in formulating a proper study plan which I was able to implement and get results. I also did group study which helped me in many ways. Practicing routinely and revising at regular intervals also played a huge role. One to Two weeks before CAT I gave mock exams every 2 days and tried to improve my time management and percentile. All in all with consistent effort it is possible to crack CAT.
Q: How did you prepare for VARC section?
A: I used to practice VARC everyday. Basically my preparation was aligned to how the CAT exam is. As the first section of CAT is VARC my practice started with solving one RC and few VA problems. Online material in preferred over offline material because you must get used to reading and solving RCs online.
Q: Please share your preparation strategy for DILR Section
A: I used to practice DILR also everyday. In order to get good percentile at DILR you must solve many types of problems. Here variety matters and more different types of problems you solve more familiar you get with the subject and more confidence is built as a result.
Q: How did you prepare for Quant Section?
A: I used to practice quant extensively because I was weak at it. I used to dedicate 3-4 hrs of the day practicing quant both offline and online.
Q: Was there any particular section/area that you were weak at? How did you overcome this challenge?
A: I was weak at QA, thus, dedicated more time in practising QA. Getting the concepts under the belt was my first priority and practising a range of problems of each concept helped me a lot. Also having joined a coaching center played a vital role as I always got help whenever I faced any doubts. Group study was also mainly focused on improving QA percentile. Taking regular assessments built up the confidence and time management skills to get a good percentile in QA. Also, being practical over here, I knew that I won’t be getting a super good marks in QA I decided to target atleast 20 - 25 marks form the section which would be good enough to cross the IIM cut offs.
Q: What role did Mock Tests play in your success?
A: Mocks play a huge role in clearing CAT. A well structured Mock is very useful as it shows your strengths and weakness. It helps in formulating a strategy and improve time management skills. I attempted nearly 18 mocks before CAT.
Q: Did you self-prepare or attend a coaching centre and why?
A: I enrolled for classroom course of IMS. I was attempting CAT for the first time 4 years after my graduation. I was not upto the mark and had forgotten many basic concepts. So, I needed professional help in order to get ready for CAT. Hence, I joined IMS.
Q: What was your Exam Day strategy? What was your last-minute preparation?
A: My CAT exam was on the 2nd shift. So, I had ample time before the exam. I believe maintaing a peaceful mind before exam is very important. So, I focused on destressing myself i.e. had a good night sleep, had a good breakfast, etc. I clearly didn’t want to panic and perform poorly. I also went to CAT exam center well ahead of time and patiently waited in order to avoid last moment mishaps. I don’t believe in last minute preparations, what is the point of preparing for one whole year if I had to depend on last minute preparations. Most important thing is to remember that the questions are going to come from the topics that you have practised countless times and treat CAT as all other Mocks that you have given till date.
Q: How did you prepare for PI Round? Please share PI-WAT questions at IIM Ahmedabad
A: I had enrolled at IMS for GD/PI/WAT. This helped me a lot because I was able to interact with all other students who had cracked CAT and had calls from reputed institutes. Daily practice of WAT is necessary on both recent as well abstract topics. Since I was with IMS I got opportunity to practice GD with lot students and on a lot of topics. Giving a lot of mock PI’s also helped me in developing a confidence and anticipates many questions that could be asked during PI’s.
My WAT Topics:
- Nepotism at workplace
- Role of students in world politics
- The most important question for PI that you need to answer is Why MBA?
- Other questions that I faced were based on my work experience and current affairs
- Many times institutes are looking for your personal opinions on certain areas and you must not shy away from sharing your personal thought on those areas albeit you have enough proofs to support your opinions.
Q: Your final message and tips for candidates preparing for CAT 2020.
A: Preparation is key to success. There is no better advice that anyone can give you.
- You must first understand your current place where you stand
- Should work on gradually improving yourself
- Mountains are crossed one step at a time
- Don’t expect a miraculous improvement if you join a coaching center
- Consistent effort is necessary
- Set your goals very high from the beginning
- Don’t heed nay sayers, always, keep yourself motivated and focussed on your desired target
- Utilise your time to the fullest and try to give as many mocks as possible
- Always remember that improvement happens everyday and not all of a sudden. Keep at it, don’t lose Last but not the least of all NEVER GIVE UP!!!
Read more inspirational stories & secret mantras of CAT Toppers, only on MBAUniverse.com
- CAT 2023 Toppers: How Nishakar Kumar achieved 99.83% - A Saga of Dedication and Hard Work
- CAT 2023 Topper Shiladitya Bhadra tells MBAUniverse.com How He Scored 99.4% - Check Section wise Raw Score, Scaled Score and Percentile
- Why SPJIMR is A Preferred Destination for CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile? Aditya, Prateek, Pooja, Sundar Joined SPJIMR Mumbai and Declined IIMs, XLRI, IITs, MDI, SIBM; Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- Why CAT 2022 Topper with 99.44%ile, Akshat Agarwal, declined IIMs, MDI to Join MBA at IIT Delhi; How he prepared & cracked the Exam-MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile Jatin, Shrey, Vishal, Nikhil Joined IIM Kashipur and Declined Other Top B-schools? Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- How Pooja Sudhakar from Chennai, Working as Marketing Professional at Mockat, cracked CAT 2022 with 99.11%ile, and got into SPJIMR Mumbai
- XLRI Student Nipun Garg Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.95% and CAT 2022 with 97.02; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over IIMs, MDI - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Jay Bosamia, A Chartered Accountant with Work Experience at PwC & Reliance overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 98.79%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- XLRI Student Tanish Jain Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.99% and CAT 2022 with 99.78; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over FMS - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Patna's Prateek Rai secured 99.80%ile in CAT 2022 and joined SPJIMR Mumbai by sacrificing Social Media, uninstalling YouTube, and overcoming his Weaknesses
- How K. Sashank, Software Developer at JIO from Coimbatore overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 99.90%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- ‘XAT Not More Difficult than CAT’ Nandagopal V Busts the Myth; Scored 99.99%ile in XAT 2023 and 99.15%ile in CAT 2022; Declines Top IIMs to join XLRI Jamshedpur - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Gurgaon Girl & NIFT Graduate Kirti Goyal Cracks CAT with 99.1%ile, Secures admission at IIM Kozhikode! Shares her success strategies with MBAUniverse.com
- How Mumbai Girl and VJTI Engineer Srishti Yadav overcame her weakness to crack CAT with 99.69%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- Why Amit Kumar Chakraborty, CAT 2022 Topper with 99.34 %ile & XAT 2023 Topper with 99.55%ile declined NITIE, SPJIMR, MDI to join XLRI Jamshedpur; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Soumik Banerjee, an Engineer Working with Public Sector, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.95%ile and Got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Bhanu Pratap, A Small Town Boy from Farmer Family and a Fresher, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.67%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Mehak Rathi, a Psychologist & Graphologist, cracked CAT 2022 with 98.08 % to get into MDI Gurgaon - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 Topper from Agriculture Family, Kunal declined IIMs, IIFT to join MDI Gurgaon; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Defense Personnel Ward and Consultant at Deloitte, Avinash Cracked IIFT Entrance and Got into IIFT Delhi MBA (IB) 2023-25 – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How An Agriculture Science Graduate, Amit Shailesh cracked CAT 2022 with 96.42%ile and got into IIM Lucknow – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 & IIFT Topper Pushti Shah declined 11 IIMs to join IIFT Delhi; How She cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Chemical Engineer and Fresher Shivam cracked CAT 2022 with 99.84%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Software Tester Shreyasee Sarkar cracked CAT 2022 with 99.68%ile and got into IIM Calcutta
- How a CA and Asset Management Expert cracked CAT 2021 with 94.78%ile to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How a CA, NTSE Scholar and a Published Poet cracked CAT 2021 with 98.49% to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Ekansh Gupta, a Poet and Working Professional from Moradabad cracked CAT with 99.91 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How a BBA Graduate and Fresher from Surat, Yashvi Bansal Cracked CAT with 94.72%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Arts & Craft lover, a blogger with BMS, Pranita Maheshwari Cracked CAT with 98.81%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How a BMS Graduate from DU working at DE Shaw, Nandan Goel cracked CAT with 99.95 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How A Graphic Designer, Painter with B.Tech, Nancy Jain Cracked CAT 2020 with 99.72 %ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021-23
- How Software Developer at Nomura and IEM Kolkata Graduate from Surat - Shubham cracked CAT with 99.98%ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How an Animation & VFX Lover with B.Tech Venkata Satya Srikar Medisetti from Tuni Cracked CAT with 98.44%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA
- How A Kathak Dancer, Painter & Engineer Vasundhara Tiwari, Working as Accounts Manager –cracked CAT with 96.68%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Electrical Engineer & Working Professional Shuktisindhu Mondal Cracked CAT 2019 & got IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How National Medalist in Swimming, A Triathlon Participant & Chemical Engineer Tanishq Diddee Cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How Doordarshan Anchor, Kathak Dancer and Graduate in Tourism, Shefali Chhaya cracked CAT 2019 and Got into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Miss India Finalist and Law Graduate Adya Niraj cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- CAT Toppers Video Series: How Masscom grad Sandeep Rajguru cracked CAT to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- An NGO Activist and BBA from Surat, Nikita cracked CAT with 99.22%ile; Preferred PGPM at MDI Gurgaon instead of IIMs
- How CA Anushree Naik juggled her finance job in Mumbai, and yet cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIMA! MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Video Series with CAT Toppers: Tanuj Ruia tells MBAUniverse.com how he cracked CAT and PI/WAT Round to get into IIM Bangalore
- Chandanbala, a B.Com with 51% Cracks CAT 2019 with 98.28%ile; Gets into IIM Udaipur; Never found Questions too Hard
- How Alappuzha Girl and NIT Calicut Graduate Sruthy cracked CAT with 97.71%ile and got into IIM Lucknow for MBA 2020!
- How Working Professional & IIT Roorkee Graduate Rahul Gupta cracked CAT with 100%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
- How Surat Boy and NIT Hamirpur Graduate Shantanu Yadav cracked CAT with 99.7%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on CAT Preparation Strategy by Toppers