The inspirational story of a national sports man who has multi dimensional personality and has emerged victorious over all odds to get into India’s best B-school – IIM Ahmedabad breaks the myth that cracking CAT and getting into Top IIMs needs long study hours only. On the contrary the phrase ‘A Healthy mind resides in a healthy body’ comes absolutely true for Tanishq Diddee who is now IIM Ahmedabad student of MBA 2020-22 batch.
Tanishq is a national medalist in swimming, a triathlon and marathon participant and is a graduate in Chemical Engineering from NITK, Suratkhal. He had earned 35 months of work experience at Reliance Industries Ltd before joining MBA at IIM Ahmedabad.
Tanishq scored 99.70 percentile in CAT 2019, converted IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Calcutta, IIM Lucknow, FMS Delhi, SPJIMR Mumbai among others.
What is even more interesting about Tanishq is that he was working full time for about 12 hours a day, continued with his swimming and running and prepared for CAT in his own way. His success also shows how a working professional who does not compromise on his hobbies and interests can prepare well without coaching and crack CAT while balancing among the multi dimensional roles.
Undoubtedly, Tanishq’s journey wasn’t a cakewalk. It required persistence, focus, immense self-belief and discipline. MBAUniverse.com interviewed Tanishq to understand his CAT preparation journey, how he cracked IIM Ahmedabad interview and more. So, read on for getting inspired and accelerating your CAT journey!
Q: Let us begin with your performance in CAT 2019. How did you perform in the exam?
A: CAT 2019 was my first attempt. I scored 99.70 overall percentile; 97.01 percentile in VARC section; 99.91 in DILR Section and 98.35 percentile in Quantitative Ability section.
Q: Apart from CAT, which other exams did you appear?
A: Apart from CAT 2019, I did not appear in other exams.
Q: So, which B-schools did you finally convert?
A: Apart from getting final admission offer from IIM Ahmedabad for PGP 2020-22 batch, I converted IIM Calcutta, IIM Lucknow, FMS Delhi and SPJIMR Mumbai
Q. Great Achievement, tell us about your academics, interests and family back ground? Please also share about your work experience as well?
A: I am a Bachelor in Chemical Engineering from NITK Surathkal. After graduation till I joined IIM Ahmedabad, I earned 35 months of work experience with Reliance Industries Ltd. I am a national medalist in swimming and a triathlon and marathon participant. I belong to Nagpur (Maharashtra). We are a family of four. My parents are consultants in energy sector and sister is working in Singapore as a Speech language Pathologist.
Q: Coming to your CAT preparation, what was your overall preparation strategy?
A: My strategy was to give tests and more tests. So, I started giving mock tests in May’19. I spent 3 hours writing each test and at least 3 more hours evaluating the test. While evaluating I browsed through the career launcher material to brush up on concepts. So on weekdays, I went through the material for 1 hour before I started my work.
Q: How did you prepare for VARC section?
A: For VARC, I practised with the GMAT material as their explanations were much better than any CAT prep material. The key is to learn from your mistakes. Making a lot of mistakes initially is good as we find out what are our weaknesses.
Q: Please share your preparation strategy for DILR Section
A: I enjoyed doing DILR, so I practised that section whenever I was bored with others.
Q: How did you prepare for Quant Section?
A: For QA, I focused on the material and also went through solved solutions on IMS to find faster methods to solve the problems.
Q: Was there any particular section/area that you were weak at? How did you overcome this challenge?
A: In QA, I felt I was spending a lot of time on a single question as I was following a non-formula approach. I believed the approach was right but I had to figure out a method for different types of questions. So with practice and observing solutions provided by IMS especially, I got a hang of the QA section.
Q: What role did Mock Tests play in your success?
A: As mentioned earlier, Mocks are the single most important thing in CAT preperation. Only thing, that is more important, is analysing these mocks. I attempted around 25 mocks for CAT and around 10 mocks for GMAT. Not losing hope while writing mocks is the key. I scored on an average ~120-130 in all the mocks but I saw the lost 170 marks as an opportunity and reviewed them thoroughly.
Q: Did you self-prepare or attend a coaching centre and why?
A: I was working full time which took at least 12 hours per day. I also wanted to have the flexibility of doing the prep at my own speed and in my own way. Plus, I wanted to continue with my swimming and running so I could not sacrifice my evening for the classes. I believe with discipline; self-preparation becomes an advantage. I also had a partner who was preparing for the same and we kept each other motivated.
Q: What was your Exam Day strategy. What was your last-minute preparation?
A: I had to travel to another city for my exam. Me and my colleague reached the city a day prior, located and visited the CAT centre a day before to avoid stress on that day. On the last day, me and my friend saw Big Bang Theory in the hotel room for 2 straight hours and we slept. There was no point of studying on the last day. On the day of CAT, I went in with a very positive mindset. My aim was to at least mark 90 questions to get around 70 of them correct. I aimed high to get high. Especially for DILR I wanted to complete all 8 sets as I felt, that’s my strong area.
Q: How did you prepare for PI Round? Please share PI-WAT questions at IIM Ahmedabad
A: For WAT/PI, the only thing I prepared was why I want to do MBA. I didn’t take any mock PI or wrote any mock WAT. I believe being genuine and original is the key to success.
My WAT topics:
- Is capital punishment good or bad?
- Is Saradarvallabbhai Patel’s statue waste of money?
- Main focus was on work experience
- Asked about how a business model can be made around swimming?
- Asked how will India capture the POK?
- Why Kenyan runners are good at marathon?
- Was never asked why I want to do MBA?
Q: What motivated you to choose IIM Ahmedabad over other B-schools?
A: It was in Gujarat, having worked for 3 years in Gujarat, I enjoyed the people in the state. Plus Ahmedabad has been a top B-school in the country since decades with really strong Alumni base.
Q: Your final message and tips for candidates preparing for CAT 2020.
A: I believe CAT is an exam which requires a positive mindset, the will to learn from mistakes and discipline to continue the prep for at least 5 months. It is a competitive exam, not a difficult one and I hope everyone gets what they are aiming for.
Read more inspirational stories & secret mantras of CAT Toppers, only on MBAUniverse.com
- How Pooja Sudhakar from Chennai, Working as Marketing Professional at Mockat, cracked CAT 2022 with 99.11%ile, and got into SPJIMR Mumbai
- XLRI Student Nipun Garg Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.95% and CAT 2022 with 97.02; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over IIMs, MDI - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Jay Bosamia, A Chartered Accountant with Work Experience at PwC & Reliance overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 98.79%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- XLRI Student Tanish Jain Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.99% and CAT 2022 with 99.78; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over FMS - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Patna's Prateek Rai secured 99.80%ile in CAT 2022 and joined SPJIMR Mumbai by sacrificing Social Media, uninstalling YouTube, and overcoming his Weaknesses
- How K. Sashank, Software Developer at JIO from Coimbatore overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 99.90%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- ‘XAT Not More Difficult than CAT’ Nandagopal V Busts the Myth; Scored 99.99%ile in XAT 2023 and 99.15%ile in CAT 2022; Declines Top IIMs to join XLRI Jamshedpur - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Gurgaon Girl & NIFT Graduate Kirti Goyal Cracks CAT with 99.1%ile, Secures admission at IIM Kozhikode! Shares her success strategies with MBAUniverse.com
- How Mumbai Girl and VJTI Engineer Srishti Yadav overcame her weakness to crack CAT with 99.69%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- Why Amit Kumar Chakraborty, CAT 2022 Topper with 99.34 %ile & XAT 2023 Topper with 99.55%ile declined NITIE, SPJIMR, MDI to join XLRI Jamshedpur; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Soumik Banerjee, an Engineer Working with Public Sector, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.95%ile and Got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Bhanu Pratap, A Small Town Boy from Farmer Family and a Fresher, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.67%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Mehak Rathi, a Psychologist & Graphologist, cracked CAT 2022 with 98.08 % to get into MDI Gurgaon - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 Topper from Agriculture Family, Kunal declined IIMs, IIFT to join MDI Gurgaon; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Defense Personnel Ward and Consultant at Deloitte, Avinash Cracked IIFT Entrance and Got into IIFT Delhi MBA (IB) 2023-25 – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How An Agriculture Science Graduate, Amit Shailesh cracked CAT 2022 with 96.42%ile and got into IIM Lucknow – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 & IIFT Topper Pushti Shah declined 11 IIMs to join IIFT Delhi; How She cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Chemical Engineer and Fresher Shivam cracked CAT 2022 with 99.84%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Software Tester Shreyasee Sarkar cracked CAT 2022 with 99.68%ile and got into IIM Calcutta
- How a CA and Asset Management Expert cracked CAT 2021 with 94.78%ile to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How a CA, NTSE Scholar and a Published Poet cracked CAT 2021 with 98.49% to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Ekansh Gupta, a Poet and Working Professional from Moradabad cracked CAT with 99.91 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How a BBA Graduate and Fresher from Surat, Yashvi Bansal Cracked CAT with 94.72%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Arts & Craft lover, a blogger with BMS, Pranita Maheshwari Cracked CAT with 98.81%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How a BMS Graduate from DU working at DE Shaw, Nandan Goel cracked CAT with 99.95 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How A Graphic Designer, Painter with B.Tech, Nancy Jain Cracked CAT 2020 with 99.72 %ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021-23
- How Software Developer at Nomura and IEM Kolkata Graduate from Surat - Shubham cracked CAT with 99.98%ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How an Animation & VFX Lover with B.Tech Venkata Satya Srikar Medisetti from Tuni Cracked CAT with 98.44%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA
- How A Kathak Dancer, Painter & Engineer Vasundhara Tiwari, Working as Accounts Manager –cracked CAT with 96.68%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Electrical Engineer & Working Professional Shuktisindhu Mondal Cracked CAT 2019 & got IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How National Medalist in Swimming, A Triathlon Participant & Chemical Engineer Tanishq Diddee Cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How Doordarshan Anchor, Kathak Dancer and Graduate in Tourism, Shefali Chhaya cracked CAT 2019 and Got into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Miss India Finalist and Law Graduate Adya Niraj cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- CAT Toppers Video Series: How Masscom grad Sandeep Rajguru cracked CAT to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- An NGO Activist and BBA from Surat, Nikita cracked CAT with 99.22%ile; Preferred PGPM at MDI Gurgaon instead of IIMs
- How CA Anushree Naik juggled her finance job in Mumbai, and yet cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIMA! MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Video Series with CAT Toppers: Tanuj Ruia tells MBAUniverse.com how he cracked CAT and PI/WAT Round to get into IIM Bangalore
- Chandanbala, a B.Com with 51% Cracks CAT 2019 with 98.28%ile; Gets into IIM Udaipur; Never found Questions too Hard
- How Alappuzha Girl and NIT Calicut Graduate Sruthy cracked CAT with 97.71%ile and got into IIM Lucknow for MBA 2020!
- How Working Professional & IIT Roorkee Graduate Rahul Gupta cracked CAT with 100%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
- How Surat Boy and NIT Hamirpur Graduate Shantanu Yadav cracked CAT with 99.7%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on CAT Preparation Strategy by Toppers