The CAT 2020 topper who scored 99.72 percentile and got into IIM Calcutta MBA 2021-23, Nancy Jain has diverse personality with Engineering back ground. Nancy is not only a B.Tech, but is also a Graphic designer and Painter. She had worked with Tata Motors for 22 months before joining IIM Calcutta.
Nancy converted number of top B-schools including IIM Calcutta, FMS Delhi, MDI Gurgaon, IIM Lucknow, however, she has opted for IIM Calcutta. With a firm confidence and planned preparation strategy, Nancy was confident to crack CAT 2020 with high score and get into her dream IIM. She did not appear in any other MBA entrance test apart from CAT.
MBAUniverse.com invited Nancy Jain to share her preparation and exam taking strategy, GD-PI experience. Read on for her views and success mantras
Q: Apart from IIM Calcutta which were the other top B-schools that you converted
A: I converted IIM Calcutta, FMS Delhi, MDI Gurgaon and was wait listed at IIM Lucknow. But I preferred to join IIM Calcutta.
Q: What motivated you to choose IIM Calcutta over other B-schools?
A: To be frank IIM Calcutta was my dream college even before I started preparing for CAT. The moment I saw that I have been offered seat at IIMC I burst into tears of joy. Moreover, it was my best call as well.
Q: How did you perform in CAT 2020?
A: I scored 99.72 overall percentile in CAT 2020. My sectional percentile was 94.68 in VARC; 99.84 in DILR Section and 99.18 in Quantitative Ability section.
Q: Apart from CAT 2020, which other exams did you appear?
A: I did not appear in any other exam as I focused on CAT only.
Q: What have been your academics & interests? Do you have some work experience as well?
A: I am a B.Tech from Indira Gandhi Delhi Technical University for Women (IGDTUW) Delhi. I have interest in Graphic designing, Painting and Sketching. I have 22 months of work experience with Tata Motors. I belong to Delhi.
Q: What was your overall preparation strategy for CAT?
A: I started with building up concepts of QA before jumping onto mocks. Then I started giving mocks in regular intervals. For VARC, I started reading regularly and also worked upon vocabulary. For DILR, I used to solve atleast 4-5 different types of sets/day. During the time, I tried numerous strategies and gave sectional tests in between to be consistent with my prep.
Q: How did you prepare for VARC section?
A: I particularly struggled with VARC. As I was constantly scoring low marks, I started reading from various online platforms. The Hindu, The Indian Express, Medium, Knappily, Guardian were some of the major online platforms I followed. I made it a habit to read at least 6-7 articles/day. I solved questions from question banks of the test series I took. I also followed “Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension for the CAT by Nishit K. Sinha” regularly.
Q: Please share your preparation strategy for DILR Section?
A: For DILR, I started with getting familiarized with a variety of sets. I began with solving 4-5 sets/day and eventually increased it as I got comfortable with the sets. For DILR it is important to choose the right sets in the exam. According to me, daily practice and proper analysing of the sets are very crucial for DILR prep.
Q: How did you prepare for Quantitative Ability Section?
A: I began my CAT prep by building up QA concepts. I started with understanding the concepts from the book and then solving topic-wise tests. I followed “Quantitative Ability by Nishit K. Sinha” and made detailed notes. I used to revise my notes regularly from page 1 till the last. For the initial months, while attempting questions, my motive used to achieve good accuracy. My mock strategy for QA was mainly to solve the questions in three phases:
- I would first attempt the questions that could be solved within 1-2 mins
- Next to the question which I could solve within 3-4 mins
- Questions that are time-consuming but could be solved
In the end, if time permits, I’d solve the remaining questions.
Q: Was there any particular section/area that you were weak at? How did you overcome this challenge?
A: As a typical engineer, VARC was my pain area. I was very scared of my VARC scores as I was constantly scoring low marks. Then I started reading a variety of articles. The Hindu, The Indian Express, Medium, Knappily, Guardian were some of the online platforms I followed. I made it a habit to read at least 6-7 articles/day. I also solved 4-5 RCs/day and worked on VA simultaneously. Mock video solutions provided by the test series institute helped me build up the approach and thought process for solving RCs. From scoring as low as percentiles in the 50s, I ended up scoring 94%tile in CAT.
Q: What role did Mocks play in your success? How many mocks did you attempt before the exam?
A: Mocks played a major role in my CAT prep. I started with 1-2 mocks/week and eventually increased it to 1-2 mocks/day. Mocks provided me with an environment almost similar to the actual exam D-day. With the help of mocks, I was able to keep a regular check on my performance. A proper mock analysis helped me understand my weak and strong areas. I had to tweak my mock strategies several times which ultimately prepared me for the uncertainties that were waiting for me on D-day.
Q: Did you self-prepare or attend a coaching centre and why?
A: As I was working at the time of CAT prep, I decided to go for self-study. Because of the time crunch, I wanted to devote whatever free time I got towards my CAT preparation.
Q: Please share your strategy for the CAT Day. What was your last-minute preparation? How did you plan your CAT test taking?
A: In the case of CAT 2020 the total number of questions and the section-wise breakup was a surprise for all the candidates. Although I had exam in the 3rd slot, yet I decided to switch off my phone since the morning itself. I knew my phone would be full of notifications as soon as the slot 1 candidates would come out of the exam hall. As I did not want any last-minute panic, I decided to stay away from any news related to the exam on D-day.
Q: How did you prepare for GD/PI/WAT. Please share your GD/WAT topics & PI questions?
A: For GD/PI/WAT preparation, I joined IMS and TIME for mock PIs and knowledge sessions which gave me a taste of the different topics that are generally asked in the interviews. I was lucky to have people to guide me and motivate me with the entire GD/PI/WAT preparation phase. My PIs majorly revolved around acads, workex, GK, hobbies, and in some cases questions from maths were also asked.
Q: In this pandemic situation, was you PI-WAT conducted in person or was conducted Online? How was your PI-WAT experience?
A: I had all my PI-WAT conducted online. Initially, I was sceptical of the online mode, however, all my interviews were conducted smoothly. All the panellists were quite patient and understanding of the difficulties of online mode.
Q: Your final message and tips for candidates preparing for CAT 2021.
A: To all the CAT 2021 aspirants, I would like to recommend being consistent with your preparation. There are going to be many ups and downs in the prep phase, don’t let them demotivate you. Just keep moving forward with your prep. Do not let the pressure of scoring good marks overtaking your calm. Attempting exam on D-day calmly did wonders for me.
I wish all the aspirants All the very best with their journey. If they want, they can also reach out to me via LinkedIn. I will try to help to the best of my abilities.
Read more inspirational stories & secret mantras of CAT Toppers, only on MBAUniverse.com
- Why SPJIMR is A Preferred Destination for CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile? Aditya, Prateek, Pooja, Sundar Joined SPJIMR Mumbai and Declined IIMs, XLRI, IITs, MDI, SIBM; Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- Why CAT 2022 Topper with 99.44%ile, Akshat Agarwal, declined IIMs, MDI to Join MBA at IIT Delhi; How he prepared & cracked the Exam-MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile Jatin, Shrey, Vishal, Nikhil Joined IIM Kashipur and Declined Other Top B-schools? Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- How Pooja Sudhakar from Chennai, Working as Marketing Professional at Mockat, cracked CAT 2022 with 99.11%ile, and got into SPJIMR Mumbai
- XLRI Student Nipun Garg Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.95% and CAT 2022 with 97.02; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over IIMs, MDI - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Jay Bosamia, A Chartered Accountant with Work Experience at PwC & Reliance overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 98.79%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- XLRI Student Tanish Jain Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.99% and CAT 2022 with 99.78; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over FMS - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Patna's Prateek Rai secured 99.80%ile in CAT 2022 and joined SPJIMR Mumbai by sacrificing Social Media, uninstalling YouTube, and overcoming his Weaknesses
- How K. Sashank, Software Developer at JIO from Coimbatore overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 99.90%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- ‘XAT Not More Difficult than CAT’ Nandagopal V Busts the Myth; Scored 99.99%ile in XAT 2023 and 99.15%ile in CAT 2022; Declines Top IIMs to join XLRI Jamshedpur - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Gurgaon Girl & NIFT Graduate Kirti Goyal Cracks CAT with 99.1%ile, Secures admission at IIM Kozhikode! Shares her success strategies with MBAUniverse.com
- How Mumbai Girl and VJTI Engineer Srishti Yadav overcame her weakness to crack CAT with 99.69%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- Why Amit Kumar Chakraborty, CAT 2022 Topper with 99.34 %ile & XAT 2023 Topper with 99.55%ile declined NITIE, SPJIMR, MDI to join XLRI Jamshedpur; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Soumik Banerjee, an Engineer Working with Public Sector, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.95%ile and Got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Bhanu Pratap, A Small Town Boy from Farmer Family and a Fresher, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.67%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Mehak Rathi, a Psychologist & Graphologist, cracked CAT 2022 with 98.08 % to get into MDI Gurgaon - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 Topper from Agriculture Family, Kunal declined IIMs, IIFT to join MDI Gurgaon; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Defense Personnel Ward and Consultant at Deloitte, Avinash Cracked IIFT Entrance and Got into IIFT Delhi MBA (IB) 2023-25 – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How An Agriculture Science Graduate, Amit Shailesh cracked CAT 2022 with 96.42%ile and got into IIM Lucknow – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 & IIFT Topper Pushti Shah declined 11 IIMs to join IIFT Delhi; How She cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Chemical Engineer and Fresher Shivam cracked CAT 2022 with 99.84%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Software Tester Shreyasee Sarkar cracked CAT 2022 with 99.68%ile and got into IIM Calcutta
- How a CA and Asset Management Expert cracked CAT 2021 with 94.78%ile to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How a CA, NTSE Scholar and a Published Poet cracked CAT 2021 with 98.49% to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Ekansh Gupta, a Poet and Working Professional from Moradabad cracked CAT with 99.91 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How a BBA Graduate and Fresher from Surat, Yashvi Bansal Cracked CAT with 94.72%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Arts & Craft lover, a blogger with BMS, Pranita Maheshwari Cracked CAT with 98.81%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How a BMS Graduate from DU working at DE Shaw, Nandan Goel cracked CAT with 99.95 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How A Graphic Designer, Painter with B.Tech, Nancy Jain Cracked CAT 2020 with 99.72 %ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021-23
- How Software Developer at Nomura and IEM Kolkata Graduate from Surat - Shubham cracked CAT with 99.98%ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How an Animation & VFX Lover with B.Tech Venkata Satya Srikar Medisetti from Tuni Cracked CAT with 98.44%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA
- How A Kathak Dancer, Painter & Engineer Vasundhara Tiwari, Working as Accounts Manager –cracked CAT with 96.68%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Electrical Engineer & Working Professional Shuktisindhu Mondal Cracked CAT 2019 & got IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How National Medalist in Swimming, A Triathlon Participant & Chemical Engineer Tanishq Diddee Cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How Doordarshan Anchor, Kathak Dancer and Graduate in Tourism, Shefali Chhaya cracked CAT 2019 and Got into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Miss India Finalist and Law Graduate Adya Niraj cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- CAT Toppers Video Series: How Masscom grad Sandeep Rajguru cracked CAT to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- An NGO Activist and BBA from Surat, Nikita cracked CAT with 99.22%ile; Preferred PGPM at MDI Gurgaon instead of IIMs
- How CA Anushree Naik juggled her finance job in Mumbai, and yet cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIMA! MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Video Series with CAT Toppers: Tanuj Ruia tells MBAUniverse.com how he cracked CAT and PI/WAT Round to get into IIM Bangalore
- Chandanbala, a B.Com with 51% Cracks CAT 2019 with 98.28%ile; Gets into IIM Udaipur; Never found Questions too Hard
- How Alappuzha Girl and NIT Calicut Graduate Sruthy cracked CAT with 97.71%ile and got into IIM Lucknow for MBA 2020!
- How Working Professional & IIT Roorkee Graduate Rahul Gupta cracked CAT with 100%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
- How Surat Boy and NIT Hamirpur Graduate Shantanu Yadav cracked CAT with 99.7%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on CAT Preparation Strategy by Toppers