IIMs are no more the MBA destination only for Engineers or candidates with work experience. This has been proved by Yashvi Bansal who has done BBA Marketing from Auro University Surat and is a fresher without any work experience but has cracked CAT 2020 in her first attempt with 94.72 percentile and has joined IIM Udaipur MBA 2021-23 batch.
Yashvi converted all the nine new CAP participating IIMs including IIM Udaipur but preferred to join IIM Udaipur for various reasons. During her preparation, she found herself weak in some areas, but with her preparation strategy she turned it into her strong area. She has proved that it is the smart preparation for CAT exam and your keen interest in reading and writing that can lead to admission in your dream IIM as was achieved by her by converting IIM Udaipur and many other top B-schools.
Yashvi belongs to a modest business class family of Surat in Gujarat. MBAUniverse.com invited Yashvi Bansal to understand her CAT preparation plans, how she cracked IIM Udaipur interview and more.
Q: Apart from IIM Udaipur, which were the other top B-schools that shortlisted you for final selection round.
A: I was shortlisted for the PI by IIM Udaipur, IIM Tiruchirappalli, IIM Kashipur, IIM Raipur, IIM Ranchi, IIM Bodh Gaya, IIM Jammu, IIM Sambalpur, IIM Sirmaur, GIM
Q: Which top B-schools have offered you admission and which one you have finally chosen?
A: Apart from getting final admission offer from IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021-23 batch, I converted all the new IIMs that participated in CAP round and GIM. I finally decided to join IIM Udaipur
Q: What motivated you to choose IIM Udaipur over other B-schools? Please share top 3-4 reasons
A: Key reasons that motivated me to join IIM Udaipur were:
- Academic Rigour- Top notch faculty with updated curriculum
- Core Values resonated with mine
Q: What are your academics, interests and family back ground? Do you have some work experience as well?
A: I have done BBA-Marketing from Auro University Surat. My father is a businessman, we trade in sarees, based in textile market of Surat, Gujarat. We originally come from Rajasthan. My mother is a home-maker. We’ve been living in Surat for the past 30 years. And I have a twin-brother, who is pursuing Chartered Accountancy currently. My hobbies include Reading and Writing.
Q: How did you perform in CAT 2020?
A: I scored 94.72 overall percentile in CAT 2020; 88.56 percentile in VARC section; 92.53 in DILR Section and 93.45 percentile in Quantitative Ability section. CAT 2020 was my first attempt.
Q: Apart from CAT 2020, which other exams did you appear?
A: Apart from CAT 2020, I appeared in XAT 2021 and scored 98.489 percentile
Q: What was your overall preparation strategy for CAT?
A: I made sure that I had high accuracy in my strength areas, major focus was to get high accuracy and then worked on speed. I worked on different strategies to get better at selection and elimination.
Q: Did you self-prepare or attend a coaching centre and why?
A: I studied from IMS Surat, my sister had prepared from the same so I knew it was a good institute. Attending a coaching centre worked the best for me as I had access to material and good faculty mentors.
Q: Was there any particular section/area that you were weak at? How did you overcome this challenge?
A: I was weak at DILR initially, practiced at least 3-4 sets with different concepts in a day. Tried to understand the difference in the approach in the solution and mine, then worked on lowering the gap.
Q: Please share your CAT sectional preparation strategy for VARC?
A: For VARC, I worked on elimination of options as selection is difficult since options are close. Eliminate the options which contain information not mentioned in the RC passage.
Q: Please share your CAT sectional preparation strategy for DILR?
A: For DILR, I practiced set selection. 3/6 sets are doable, so tried to select the right one. Also, practised a lot so that I was familiar with the concepts.
Q: Please share your CAT sectional preparation strategy for Quant?
A: I made sure I was able to solve questions from my strong areas, so I identified the easy ones and attempted.
Q: What role did Mocks play in your success? How many mocks did you attempt before the exam?
A: I started attempting mocks from around May, mocks are really important. Analysed mocks, IMS mocks were great, close to actual paper. Mocks is the only way I could implement the strategies so that I could finalise the one that worked the bets for me.
Q: Please share your strategy for the CAT Day. What was your last-minute preparation? How did you plan your CAT test taking?
A: As for the last minute preparation, I had prepared notes from the beginning, used to note all the important formulae, concepts and any bit of information that seemed important. I went through that in the morning, I had the evening slot, so I made sure I was well-slept. I used to practise giving mocks on the same timings as the slots (even before the actual slots are given, you can gauge the slot timings based on past years data).
As for the stress, of course panicking is normal. I just made sure when the timer starts, my only focus is to solve the questions. I didn’t talk to many people on the day of the test. Also, made sure that I was thinking about things other than CAT and stayed away from the news of how the slot previous to me was.
Q: How did you prepare for IIM Udaipur GD/PI/WAT? Please share some of your WAT topics & PI questions?
A: I used the question bank floated by IIM Udaipur for PI Preparation itself. I read and watched news everyday. I worked on the common questions and since I was a fresher, I revised my concepts to make sure I was able to answer all the acad-related questions.
- Why MBA?
- Tell me something about yourself
- What is your family background
- Specific Academic related question from BBA-Marketing
- Questions on accounts and economics (grade 11 and grade 12)
Q: In this pandemic situation, was you PI-WAT conducted in person or was conducted Online? How was your PI-WAT experience?
A: My PI was conducted online, it was a very good experience because as there was time consumed in travelling, I gave more time to the actual PI preparation.
Q: Your final message and tips for candidates preparing for CAT 2021
A: For CAT 2021 aspirants, my message is:
- CAT isn’t as difficult as we think it is
- Practice makes everything easy
- While solving the paper, focus must be just to solve the questions on the screen, doubts about the marks shouldn’t be entertained at that moment
- CAT is a different exam, not difficult or at least not as difficult as you think it is
Read more inspirational stories & secret mantras of CAT Toppers, only on MBAUniverse.com
- How a CA and Asset Management Expert cracked CAT 2021 with 94.78%ile to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How a CA, NTSE Scholar and a Published Poet cracked CAT 2021 with 98.49% to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Ekansh Gupta, a Poet and Working Professional from Moradabad cracked CAT with 99.91 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How an Animation & VFX Lover with B.Tech Venkata Satya Srikar Medisetti from Tuni Cracked CAT with 98.44%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA
- How a BBA Graduate and Fresher from Surat, Yashvi Bansal Cracked CAT with 94.72%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Arts & Craft lover, a blogger with BMS from NMIMS, Pranita Maheshwari Cracked CAT with 98.81%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How a BMS Graduate from DU working at DE Shaw, Nandan Goel cracked CAT with 99.95 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How A Kathak Dancer, Painter & Engineer Vasundhara Tiwari, Working as Accounts Manager –cracked CAT with 96.68%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How A Graphic Designer, Painter with B.Tech, Nancy Jain Cracked CAT 2020 with 99.72 %ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021-23
- How Software Developer at Nomura and IEM Kolkata Graduate from Surat - Shubham cracked CAT with 99.98%ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How an Electrical Engineer & Working Professional Shuktisindhu Mondal Cracked CAT 2019 & got IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How National Medalist in Swimming, A Triathlon Participant & Chemical Engineer Tanishq Diddee Cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How Doordarshan Anchor, Kathak Dancer and Graduate in Tourism, Shefali Chhaya cracked CAT 2019 and Got into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Miss India Finalist and Law Graduate Adya Niraj cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- CAT Toppers Video Series: How Masscom grad Sandeep Rajguru cracked CAT to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- An NGO Activist and BBA from Surat, Nikita cracked CAT with 99.22%ile; Preferred PGPM at MDI Gurgaon instead of IIMs
- How CA Anushree Naik juggled her finance job in Mumbai, and yet cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIMA! MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Video Series with CAT Toppers: Tanuj Ruia tells MBAUniverse.com how he cracked CAT and PI/WAT Round to get into IIM Bangalore
- Chandanbala, a B.Com with 51% Cracks CAT 2019 with 98.28%ile; Gets into IIM Udaipur; Never found Questions too Hard
- How Alappuzha Girl and NIT Calicut Graduate Sruthy cracked CAT with 97.71%ile and got into IIM Lucknow for MBA 2020!
- How Working Professional & IIT Roorkee Graduate Rahul Gupta cracked CAT with 100%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
- How Surat Boy and NIT Hamirpur Graduate Shantanu Yadav cracked CAT with 99.7%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on CAT Preparation Strategy by Toppers