MBAUniverse.com has published a series of articles on top MBA entrance exams preparation plan & strategy adopted by Toppers to help the aspirants to prepare for CAT, IIFT, XAT exams. Next in the series, is an Interview with IIFT entrance exam topper Tarika Rastogi, who cracked IIFT entrance with 100 percentile and is a student of MBA (IB) 2021-23 batch at IIFT Delhi campus.
A keen follower on social and political events, Tarika Rastogi has done her Bachelors of Arts (BA) Hons in Political Science from Gargi College, Delhi University. She has earned 34 months of work experience as Executive Director with Horizon Biosciences Pvt Ltd, a healthcare company while preparing for IIFT Entrance exam. An inspiration for IIFT aspirants, Tarika cracked IIFT entrance exam with 100 percentile with her self-preparation. Tarika converted IIFT Delhi campus and is a student of MBA (IB) 2021-23 batch. Apart from IIFT, Tarika did not appear in any other MBA entrance exam. Watching web series and sitcoms and exploring new cafes and restaurants are some of her hobbies and interests.
Remaining consistent in her IIFT preparation, Tarika adopted the strategy of keeping herself focused without losing her calm while balancing between work-life and IIFT preparation. With a firm confidence and planned preparation strategy, Tarika was confident to crack IIFT entrance exam with high score and get into her dream MBA (IB) programme at IIFT Delhi.
MBAUniverse.com invited Tarika Rastogi to share her preparation and exam taking strategy, Extempore-PI-WAT experience. Read the text Interview on her IIFT preparation strategy and the success mantra shared by her for IIFT MBA (IB) 2022-24 aspirants
Q:Apart from IIFT, which were the other top B-schools that shortlisted you for final selection round.
A: I didn’t apply anywhere else, so was shortlisted only by IIFT
Q: What motivated you to choose IIFT? Please share top 3-4 reasons
A: My association with IIFT would provide me the right platform and exposure to expand my business beyond national boundaries as it offers specialization in trade.
Q: How did you perform in IIFT 2021?
A: I scored 100 overall percentile in IIFT 2021; 99.97 percentile in VARC section; 100 percentile in DILR Section; 99.07 percentile in Quant section and 99.98 percentile in GK section
Q: Apart from IIFT, which other exams did you appear?
A: I did not appear in any other MBA entrance exam apart from IIFT
Q: What are your academics, interests and family back ground? Do you have some work experience as well?
A: I have done B.A. (Hons) Political Science from Gargi College of Delhi University. I belong to Gurgaon in Haryana. I enjoy watching web series and sitcoms, explore new cafes and restaurants and am a keen follower on social and political events. I have 34 months work experience in a healthcare company Horizon Biosciences Pvt Ltd. My father Shri Tarun Rastogi is a B.Pharma and is doing business and my mother Mrs. Leena Rastogi is a graduate and is also a business woman.
Q: What was your overall preparation strategy for IIFT?
A: My strategy was just to remain focused and not lose my calm. I tried to solve as many mocks I could. Time management was the key that helped me to achieve this result.
Q: Was there any particular section/area that you were weak at? How did you overcome this challenge?
A: Being from non-commerce background, I had difficulty in the Quant section and the way I overcame it, was by extensive practice and solving mock papers.
Q: Please share your sectional preparation strategy for IIFT? How did you prepare for VARC; DILR; Quant and General Awareness?
A: My preparation was more focused on Quant as being from a non-commerce background I had to put extra efforts in this section. For VARC, DILR and General Awareness my preparations were based on various B-school entrance reference books.
Q: How important is General Awareness section in IIFT entrance exam? Was there any special strategy you adopted in GK preparation?
A: General awareness is important for the IIFT paper as there is a specific section for GK and it is also helpful in PI round. Actively reading newspapers as well as social media blogs and articles on current issues really helped me.
Q: What role did Mocks play in your success? How many mocks did you attempt before the exam?
A: Mocks gave me an insight into previous years’ patterns and helped me in time management and gauge my preparations.
Q: Did you self-prepare or attend a coaching centre?
A: I did self-preparations, as I was working.
Q: Please share your strategy for the IIFT Exam Day. What was your last-minute preparation? How did you plan your IIFT test taking?
A: The first thing to keep in mind is to maintain your calm. I started the paper with VARC, followed by DILR, General Awareness and then Quant as I needed most time is the Quant section. So, my advice would be to start with the your paper with the section you are most comfortable with. The most important thing is that you need to be very careful in attempting the questions as there is negative marking in the paper.
Q: How did you prepare for IIFT Extempore/GD-PI-WAT? Please share some of your Extempore/GD, WAT topics & PI questions?
A: To prepare for Extempore/GD, WAT and PI, I adopted following strategy:
For Extempore and GD
- I was updating myself on the recent issues around the globe and in India.
- Being a political science graduate, I brushed my basic political science concepts, about India’s relations with its neighbours as these could be asked in the PI.
- The extempore topic given to me was ‘Morality is luxury for the poor and necessity for the rich.’
The interview was primarily based on my CV and some political theory concepts (being a political science graduate)
Q: In this pandemic situation, was you PI-WAT conducted in person or was conducted Online? How was your PI-WAT experience?
A: It was conducted online. The experience was good, though the time assigned for WAT was a bit less. For PI the questions asked to me were based on my work-ex and political science concepts as I’m a political science graduate.
Q: Your final message and tips for candidates preparing for IIFT entrance for MBA (IB) admission 2022
A: Following tips would be useful
- Have a proper study schedule, plans according to sections- start with the one that requires your most attention.
- Time yourself while practicing mocks
- Keep a track on latest news and current affairs specially in trade and finance sector.
- Keep your focus and you will succeed with flying colours.
Read more inspirational stories & secret mantras of CAT Toppers, only on MBAUniverse.com
- How a CA and Asset Management Expert cracked CAT 2021 with 94.78%ile to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How a CA, NTSE Scholar and a Published Poet cracked CAT 2021 with 98.49% to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Ekansh Gupta, a Poet and Working Professional from Moradabad cracked CAT with 99.91 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How an Animation & VFX Lover with B.Tech Venkata Satya Srikar Medisetti from Tuni Cracked CAT with 98.44%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA
- How a BBA Graduate and Fresher from Surat, Yashvi Bansal Cracked CAT with 94.72%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Arts & Craft lover, a blogger with BMS from NMIMS, Pranita Maheshwari Cracked CAT with 98.81%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How a BMS Graduate from DU working at DE Shaw, Nandan Goel cracked CAT with 99.95 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How A Kathak Dancer, Painter & Engineer Vasundhara Tiwari, Working as Accounts Manager –cracked CAT with 96.68%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How A Graphic Designer, Painter with B.Tech, Nancy Jain Cracked CAT 2020 with 99.72 %ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021-23
- How Software Developer at Nomura and IEM Kolkata Graduate from Surat - Shubham cracked CAT with 99.98%ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How an Electrical Engineer & Working Professional Shuktisindhu Mondal Cracked CAT 2019 & got IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How National Medalist in Swimming, A Triathlon Participant & Chemical Engineer Tanishq Diddee Cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How Doordarshan Anchor, Kathak Dancer and Graduate in Tourism, Shefali Chhaya cracked CAT 2019 and Got into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Miss India Finalist and Law Graduate Adya Niraj cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- CAT Toppers Video Series: How Masscom grad Sandeep Rajguru cracked CAT to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- An NGO Activist and BBA from Surat, Nikita cracked CAT with 99.22%ile; Preferred PGPM at MDI Gurgaon instead of IIMs
- How CA Anushree Naik juggled her finance job in Mumbai, and yet cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIMA! MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Video Series with CAT Toppers: Tanuj Ruia tells MBAUniverse.com how he cracked CAT and PI/WAT Round to get into IIM Bangalore
- Chandanbala, a B.Com with 51% Cracks CAT 2019 with 98.28%ile; Gets into IIM Udaipur; Never found Questions too Hard
- How Alappuzha Girl and NIT Calicut Graduate Sruthy cracked CAT with 97.71%ile and got into IIM Lucknow for MBA 2020!
- How Working Professional & IIT Roorkee Graduate Rahul Gupta cracked CAT with 100%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
- How Surat Boy and NIT Hamirpur Graduate Shantanu Yadav cracked CAT with 99.7%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on IIFT Preparation Strategy by Toppers