In another first, Jagdish Sheth School of Management (JAGSoM) has earned prestigious AACSB Accreditation for its two campuses and many programs. JAGSOM has received official confirmation from AACSB International that its Board and Peer Review Team have given reaccreditation to its Bangalore campus and have also accredited its newly launched campus near Mumbai. This is the first time that any Indian institution has been accredited by AACSB for multiple campuses and UG, PG, Executive programs.
Confirming the news with MBAUniverse.com, JAGSOM Leadership including Prof.Jagdish Sheth, Chairman, JAGSoM and Prof. Atish Chattopadhyay, Director, JAGSoM expressed that they are honoured and delighted with this development. Management education experts have called this development a “game changer” and an important development for Indian management education.
Congratulating JAGSoM, Prof. Bhimaraya Metri, Director, IIM Nagpur and member of many Government Committees on Higher education, said “The reaccreditation of JAGSoM is a game changer for Indian Institutions. JAGSoM is now a benchmark for institutions who wish to operate as one institution with multiple campuses. This is also an indicator of how the regulatory framework of India acts as an enabler to facilitate innovation by the institutions.”
MBAUniverse.com presents a comprehensive review of this important development.
JAGSoM’s Journey – Key milestones
Before we progress, here is a quick recap of key timelines leading to this development:
- In 2010, BITS Alumni & Tech-entrepreneur Sanjay Padode takes over as the Chairman of IFIM Business School, setup in 1995 by his Father late Shri VB Padode, founder of Dalal Street Journal (DSJ) Group.
- In 2018, IFIM Business School became the sixth B-school in India after ISB, TAPMI, IIM Calcutta, IMT Ghaziabad and XLRI, to be AACSB Accredited.
- In the same year, Dr. Atish Chattopadhyay, former Director of IMT Ghaziabad, Dean of MICA and Deputy Director at SPJIMR Mumbai, joins IFIM Business School.
- In 2020, QS Masters in Marketing Ranking 2021 ranked JAGSoM amongst the Top 100 such programs in the world.
- On October 21, 2020, IFIM Business School Bangalore gets rechristened as JAGSoM after globally respected management guru Padma Bhushan Dr Jagadish Sheth.
JAGSOM achieves many firsts with AACSB Accreditation 2022
AACSB International, considered as the gold standard in accreditation for management education, periodically reviews the B-schools for Re-accreditation. An AACSB Peer Review Team comprising of three senior Deans from top schools of Asia, Europe and USA reviewed JAGSoM for reaccreditation in late 2021. After receiving a positive feedback from this team, AACSB Board informed JAGSOM on February 4, 2022 that they have accredited JAGSOM again. In an email to JAGSoM leadership, AACSB said, “…it is our pleasure to inform you that the Peer Review Team's recommendation for extension of accreditation of the business degree programs offered by your school has been concurred with by the Continuous Improvement Review Committee and ratified by the Board of Directors…”
Speaking with MBAUniverse.com, Prof Atish Chattopadhyay, Director JAGSoM, informed that the new Accreditation includes both JAGSOM campuses in Bangalore and Mumbai and multiple programs.“Yes, we are the first Business School in India, offering Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Executive Education Programs, to be accredited across two campuses.” He further added, “This reaccreditation is a testimony to our commitment towards continuous improvement through pedagogical innovations, thought leadership, learner success and engagement with our industry partners.”
With this, JAGSoM has achieved many first including:
- JAGSoM is the first institution from India offering PGDM and MBA programs across two campuses to be accredited by AACSB.
- This presents a unique model for Indian B-Schools – ‘One institution multiple campuses’ with all programs and campuses accredited by AACSB.
- JAGSoM is a unique case where one institution with two campuses is regulated by two different regulators (AICTE and UGC) being accredited by AACSB in India.
- This is also a unique instance of programs being accredited at the stage of commencement – implying the first graduating class BBA and MBA from JAGSoM Vijaybhhomi campus will graduate with an AACSB accredited degree.
Delighted on the development, Padma Bhushan Prof. Jagdish Sheth, Chairman, JAGSoM said, “I am very pleased with the speed at which JAGSoM is setting new benchmarks in management education with an emphasis on social responsibility of business and in the holistic development of students.” Prof. A. Parasuraman, Pro-Chancellor, Vijaybhoomi University and widely known as Guru of Service Marketing said “AACSB reaccreditation of JAGSoM’s postgraduate and bachelor’s degree programs across its campuses in Bengaluru and Karjat (Greater Mumbai) is a truly distinctive and praiseworthy accomplishment that reinforces JAGSoM’s position as one of the leading business schools in India.”
JAGSOM Programs Overview
JAGSOM Bangalore is an AICTE Approved B-school offering multiple two year programs including:
- PGDM General
- PGDM Marketing
- PGDM Finance
- PGDM Business Analytics
- PGDM International Business with Dual Degree Pathway Program with International Universities
- PGDM Executive
JAGSOM also offers UGC approved MBA and BBA programs at Vijaybhoomi University, Greater Mumbai.
AACSB reaccreditation will give further fillip to JAGSoM Bangalore campus and offer a big boost to newly launched BBA and MBA programs at Mumbai campus. It will also enhance access to global career opportunities for JAGSoM graduates through career tracks and pathway programs with international partners. This will also help faculty in collaborating with international faculty.
Implications for other B-schools
JAGSoM getting the prestigious AACSB Accreditation for its two campuses and many programs presents a unique model for Indian B-Schools. More B-schools can aim for ‘One Institution Multiple Campuses Multiple Program’ accreditation by leading bodies like AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA. In past multi-campus institutions like MDI, XLRI, NMIMS, IMT or ICFAI have been given AACSB accreditation for only one campus.
As Prof. Metri says JAGSoM is now a Case study for institutions who wish to operate as one institution with multiple campuses.
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on Indian Management Education.