So what’s common to Steve Jobs, Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos? Yes, they are all rich self-made billionaires, who are best known for leveraging creativity, innovation and right-brain thinking for creating iconic companies like Apple, Tesla and Amazon. Creativity, Design Thinking and Innovation have disrupted the traditional theory of business. Managing high performance teams that thrive on creativity and innovation poses a significant challenge for business leaders. To reign in this challenge and help develop the next generation of such business leaders, AACSB Accredited and globally ranked Jagdish Sheth School of Management (JAGSoM) has launched “The Right Brain MBA”, an innovative MBA program designed for new age professional roles that require creativity, innovation, design thinking and imagination.
Globally acclaimed academics Padma Bhushan Prof. Jagdish Sheth (Chairman, JAGSoM) and Prof. A Parasuraman (Pro-chancellor, Vijaybhoomi University) are mentoring this program. In addition to senior academics, leading Creative Industry Professionals with several decades of experience in Advertising, Media, Music, Films and Marketing Communication have joined JAGSoM to share their experiences and skills with young MBA students.
The program is specially designed to groom professionals for managerial roles with a unique and powerful combination of analytical, logical, left-brain thinking, with creative, out-of-the-box, right-brain, maverick-thinking that is so essential in today’s highly competitive world of business management.
In this article, we review JAGSoM’s Right Brain MBA, its USPs, Faculty, Curriculum, Fees, Admission process and a whole lot more.
JAGSoM’s Journey – Key Milestones
Before we discuss JAGSoM’s Right Brain MBA, here are the key milestones achieved by this fast growing institutions:
- In 2018, JAGSoM (formerly IFIM Business School) became the sixth B-school in India after ISB, TAPMI, IIM Calcutta, IMT Ghaziabad and XLRI to be AACSB Accredited.
- In 2020, QS Masters in Marketing Ranking 2021 ranked JAGSoM amongst the Top 100 (51-100 band) in the world for its PGDM Marketing program and ranked Top 150 (101-150 band) for its PGDM Finance Program.
- On October 21, 2020, IFIM Business School Bangalore was rechristened as JAGSoM after globally respected management guru Padma Bhushan Dr Jagadish Sheth.
- On December 23, 2020, JAGSoM announced 100% completion of Placements 2021 with an Average Salary of Rs 10.21 Lakhs Per Annum.
- On July 5, 2021, JAGSoM launches new age BBA at VIJAYBHOOMI University near Mumbai.
- On July 12, 2021, JAGSoM launches The Right Brain MBA at VIJAYBHOOMI University near Mumbai.
JAGSoM launches The Right Brain MBA at VIJAYBHOOMI University Mumbai
According to the World Economic Forum's Report on Top 10 skills required for 2025, "Analytical thinking and innovation" tops the list; "Creativity, Originality and Initiative" is 5th in the list, and "Reasoning, Problem-solving and Ideation" is at #10. In other words, 3 out of Top 10 Skills that will determine a student's employability and success as a Business Manager starting 2025, revolve around creativity and innovative problem-solving.
Sharing the rationale for the launch, Dr Atish Chattopadhyay, Director, JAGSoM said, “As the world shifted from industrial age to knowledge age and now moves towards conceptual age; creativity, empathy, symphony, play and imagination has become essential in the new era. Mainstream MBA programs not only admit but also groom their graduates for skills of logic, analysis, and focus. This unique program will groom professionals who would complement the left-brain professionals, by bringing in sensory elements like design, storytelling, empathy, symphony, play and meaning. New age companies aiming for diversity and non-linear thinking will find graduates of this program the right fit to bring in the desired balance”.
JAGSoM Right Brain MBA: Key details
- Accredited by: JAGSoM is accredited by AACSB and SAQS
- Approved by: Vijaybhoomi University, Raigad Act, 2018 (Maharashtra Act No. 77 of 2018)
- Ranked by: In 2020, QS Masters in Marketing Ranking 2021 ranked JAGSoM amongst the Top 100 such programs in 51-100 band (51+ Band) and 101-150 (101+ Band) Band Globally in the QS Masters in Finance Rankings.
- Duration: 2 Year full time
- Admission Status: Open | Apply Now
- Last Date to Apply: August 30, 2021
- Fees: Rs 12,00,000 p.a.
JAGSoM Right Brain MBA: Key differentiators
So, what are the differentiators of this new program? Here are the key differentiators and USPs.
- Program offered at VIJAYBHOOMI University near Mumbai, the commercial capital of the country.
- Offered by JAGSOM, one of the Top AACSB accredited and globally Ranked B-schools in India.
- Industry developed curriculum with Immersions and Internships for managerial roles in new age innovative and creative Industries.
- The program is delivered by creative domain specialist faculty, with multi-decade experience in innovative problem solutions for commercial clients.
- Major/Specialization offered in ‘Music & Entertainment’ offered in collaboration with True School of Music.
- Major/Specialization offered in ‘Design Management” with a focus on Communication Design in collaboration with Vijaybhoomi School of Design.
- Liberal Professional Curriculum offering flexibility and opportunities for Self-Discovery & Personality Development.
- JAGSoM’s 25- year legacy of delivering good placements.
Let us explore key differentiators in detail.
1. Offered by JAGSoM, one of the Top AACSB accredited B-schools in India
AACSB Accredited & Globally Ranked: As said earlier, JAGSoM is the 6th Business School in India to receive the prestigious AACSB International accreditation. It was Globally Ranked in QS Masters Global Ranking 2021 in 51+ Band for PGDM Marketing and 101+ Band for PGDM Finance. This puts JAGSoM in the league of 8-10 top B-schools in India who have an international profile.
2. India’s Top Faculty to teach and mentor
JAGSoM Right Brain MBA will be mentored by top global academics and by India’s top MBA faculty who are domain specialists. JAGSoM MBA Program is mentored by a globally acclaimed academician and Padma Bhushan awardee, Prof. Jagdish Sheth as Chairman of JAGSoM and Prof. A Parasuraman as Pro-chancellor of Vijaybhoomi University. Dr Chattopadhyay, Director, JAGSoM, is well-known management academician in India and who has previously served as the Director of IMT Ghaziabad and was part of the leadership team at leading B-schools SPJIMR Mumbai and MICA Ahmedabad before joining JAGSoM as its Director in May 2018.
Faculty members who will teach include:
Prof. Anand Narasimha: Prof. Anand is a corporate turned academician with over 30 years of leadership experience spanning Brand Marketing, Advertising, Consulting and Academics. He is an Alumnus of IIM Calcutta and BITS Pilani and has worked on some of the most loved Global and Indian brands. He has won a host of Marketing Effectiveness awards including ‘2 Cannes’ and ‘3 EFFIES’.
Prof. Nilesh Thomas: Prof. Nilesh, an alumnus of the University of Newcastle, Australia, is a sound engineer and music technologist with nearly two decades of experience in designing and delivering higher education programmes and Occupational Standards aligned to the Malaysian Qualifications Framework, UK’s QAA and India’s National Skills Qualification Framework (NSQF). Nilesh is an MESC certified Master Trainer (Sound Engineering), an Apple Distinguished Educator, and an Avid Certified Instructor for Pro Tools Digital Audio Workstations.
Prof. Vehrnon Ibrahim: Vehrnon’s illustrious career in entertainment spans various leadership roles including serving as the vice president of two national FM radio networks, a House Music DJ, frontman of Indian heavy metal band Millennium, an event director, an audio engineer, a music producer and song writer, a stage and lighting designer, the creative director of an interactive television company and a regular commentator on music, culture and creativity. Vehrnon continues to work as an independent music artist advisor with FreeWillMusic, and serves as the head of the music business department at the True School of Music.
Prof. Ashutosh Phatak: Ashu, as he is better known, is an alumnus of the Wharton School of Business and an award-winning multi-instrumental music composer and producer, who has released over 15 contemporary music albums in the past two decades. He is one of the most sought-after composers in advertising and films, having composed music for over 3,000 television commercials and soundtracks for 10 feature films. Ashu is a serial entrepreneur who co-founded India’s premier live music venue chain, Blue Frog and The True School of Music, among several other ventures that serve music, entertainment and hospitality industries.
Prof Rajan Nair: Rajan's creative work covers virtually all categories of products and services an advertising professional would love to be associated with. Although an Economics and Law graduate, he's always been a writer by passion. He has worked in some of the (arguably) most creative agencies in the country: Contract, Enterprise, Nexus-Equity (as Founder-Director), Ambience and TBWA Anthem. In over 30 years in the advertising industry, he has worked on some of the best known brands, and created some of the most memorable and long-lasting campaigns in the country including Raymond’s 'The Complete Man', The Economic Times 'The Power of Knowledge' and NECC Eggs 'Sunday ho ya Monday'. Prof Rajan Nair has won over 150 awards, including finalist at CLIO Awards, the London International Advertising Awards, ABBY and CAG Awards, awards from Pioneer, Mid-Day, and A&M, Tops International (Copywriter Of The Year).
Prof Subhash Tendle: Prof. Subhash Tendle, has over 35 years of relevant hands-on experience in creating advertising and brand communication. As Creative Director for FCB-Ulka for more than two decades, Prof. Tendle has worked on brand communication campaigns both in print and TV medium for several well-known brands including Godrej, Ceat Tyres, Ciba Geigy, Crompton Greaves, ITC Hotels, Captain Cook (Atta and Salt), Santoor Soap and Nerolac Paints to name a few. He was responsible for creating the famous mascot, 'Goody' the tiger, for Nerolac Paints. During his stint with FCB, he was also involved in training the people from the creative department to be more eﬀective in their idea generation work. After retiring from FCB-Ulka, he joined MICA as an associate Professor in 2001. In 2006, He became a Professor and Director of ‘Crafting Creative Communication’ (CCC), a specially designed programme for budding art-directors, copywriters and ad-ﬁlm makers. From August 2015 till March 2021, he taught as an Adjunct Professor at MICA. Prof. Tendle is an alumnus of Sir J.J. Institute of Applied Arts, Mumbai, graduated in 1966.
Prof Pravin Mishra: Pravin is a communication designer, an award-winning filmmaker and an accomplished painter. His numerous accolades include ‘National Critics Award’ at the prestigious Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF’04) and 'Best Documentary Film Award' at Ahmedabad International Film Festival (AIFF’09). An alumnus of National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad, Prof. Mishra has been a weekly columnist with TOI’s ‘Ahmedabad Mirror’ for over 5 years. He has also been a regular contributor to ‘The Quint’ and ‘The Print’. In 2004, he designed 'Casa da India' (House of India) pavilion in the World Social Forum (WSF) in Porto Alegre in Brazil. Prof Mishra has conducted courses, workshops or screenings at some of the top institutes in India including IIMA, NID, MICA and CEPT. In 2017, he delivered lectures on 'Storytelling' and 'Visual Communication' at University of Southern California (USC) and Michigan State University (MSU). At present, Prof Mishra is serving as Dean, School of Design, Vijaybhoomi University.
3. Industry developed curriculum with Immersions and Internships
The curriculum and learning outcomes are based on inputs by experts and are tailored to go beyond the standard MBA. The coursework is augmented through ‘Learning by Solving’ with long-duration Industry Internship and live industry projects, in partnership with companies from the creative domains. The pedagogy is focused on ‘Experiential Learning’.
4. Liberal Professional Curriculum offering flexibility and opportunities for Self-Discovery & Personality Development Instead of a one-size-fits-all approach, the curriculum facilitates the process of ‘self-discovery’ - encouraging ‘exploration’ and ‘experimentation’. A student should be able to customize his or her learning pathways depending on their individual style, pace and learning orientation.
5. Placement Focus: Over and above placement with well-established corporates, the Right Brain MBA qualification biases students to find happiness in unicorn enterprises, and establishments known for path-breaking approaches to doing business and thriving on the edge.
These include the Indian Media and Entertainment (M&E) industry, a sunrise sector for the economy. According to an EY report, the Indian media and entertainment (M&E) sector stood at Rs. 1.38 trillion (~ US$ 18 billion) in 2020 and is estimated at Rs. 1.79 trillion (~ US$ 24 billion) in 2021. Further, it is projected to grow to Rs. 2.23 trillion (~ US$ 29 billion) by 2023, due to acceleration of digital adoption among users across geographies. The industry is projected to increase at a CAGR of 17% between 2020 and 2023. Within the M&E sector, Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming and Comic (AVGC) sector is growing at a rate of ~29%, while the audiovisual sector and services is rising at the rate ~25%; is recognised as of one of the champion sectors by the Government of India.
6. JAGSOM’s 26-year legacy of delivering good placements available for Right Brain MBA Program as well JAGSoM has a strong record of MBA/PGDM placements. It is confident of continuing its record of accomplishment for MBA Placements as well. JAGSoM conducted its PGDM Placement 2021 in January 2021 itself, many months before the end of the academic year. On achieving 100% Final Placement, Dr. Atish Chattopadhyay, Director JAGSoM said, “We are happy to have successfully completed the campus placements, securing 100% placements for JAGSoM graduating batch of May 2021 so early.”
A quick recap: JAGSoM Bangalore MBA/PGDM Placement 2021 Highlights
- Average Salary in Placement 2021 goes up to Rs.10.21 LPA from last year’s Rs.9.15 LPA
- The highest Salary stood at Rs.16 LPA
- 70 Recruiters participated in Placement 2020
- Top Recruiters include Oracle, Dell, HDFC, KPMG, ANZ amongst others
JAGSoM Right Brain MBA
Admissions 2021 Open: Admission Process
Admission process for this new program is open. Here are key details:
- Graduates in any discipline with minimum 50% and inclined towards a career in the Creative Industries can apply.
- A valid score in VU-SAT and a Video Portfolio is required.
- Personal Interview with a panel comprising of a Senior Faculty Member from JAGSoM, one Industry Expert and one Alumnus will be conducted.
Learn at the State-of-the-Art Campus
VIJAYBHOOMI University Campus near Mumbai is located in the lap of Mother Nature surrounded by the Sahyadri ranges. It is an environment that stimulates creative thinking and ideation, the design of this university mirrors the philosophy of the university itself. It has state of art sporting facilities like trekking, swimming, squash, gym, tennis, basketball, badminton, football, cricket and shooting range. It also has experiential laboratories like the Music room, design lab, moot court.
Students will also benefit from JAGSoM’s unique practice initiatives such as:
- Personality Enhancement Program: A life-skill and lifestyle-oriented program, this course addresses issues of wellness and essential skills like communication, negotiation, cross-cultural orientation to groom a holistic individual.
- Design Thinking and Innovation Incubation: This program empowers the participants to develop an entrepreneurial mindset and enables them to tackle business problems & challenges through creativity and innovation.
- Social Immersion Program: Students undertake immersion with NGOs in rural areas. Students learn to design solutions for social problems through a Techno-Economic Viability (TEV) study, thereby enabling sustainable, socially positive, and measurable impact on UN SDGs.
- Industry Internship Program: Designed for providing an opportunity to the students to apply their learnings in a real life work environment
- Effective Execution: Providing an opportunity to students to own and work in small committees on issues that will help develop their own alma mater.
So, if you fancy yourself as the next Bezos, Jobs or Musk, you should consider applying to this Right Brain MBA program. Applications are now open and the Last Date to Apply is August 30, 2021. Apply now.
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on MBA Admissions.