XAT 2024 Syllabus: Check Test Pattern, Section-wise Syllabus with key topics
XAT 2024 exam syllabus is revised by XLRI with more sections added to the XAT question paper. Details below. XAT 2024 exam date is January 7, 2024 and the exam will now have 5 sections instead of earlier four sections. The revised XAT syllabus includes 100 MCQ-type questions and 1 descriptive question on Essay Writing. As such the Xavier Aptitude Test - XAT Syllabus 2024 is also divided into following 5 sections
- Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension;
- Decision Making,
- Quantitative Aptitude
- General Awareness
- Essay Writing Test
Except the General Awareness and Essay Writing Test, all the other three sections are core sections that determine the XAT percentile score as well as XLRI shortlisting criteria. The scores of General Awareness and Essay Writing sections are taken into account at the time of personal Interview round.
XAT 2024 is an important MBA entrance test leading to MBA admission 2024 in XLRI, IMT, XIMB, TAPMI, XIME, IMI, LBSIM and other 150 MBA colleges in India. The date of XAT 2024 exam is Sunday January 7, 2024. As the XAT is for admission to all the Xavier institutes, the XAT full form is Xavier Aptitude Test.
A clear understanding of updated XAT Exam syllabus and XAT exam structure before beginning your XAT preparation is very important. Accordingly, key changes in XAT syllabus 2024 Pdf, important topics in MBA XAT exam syllabus 2024 are some of the important things you should know before preparing as per the XLRI XAT 2024 exam syllabus. Based on the past pattern and the regular changes introduced by XLRI in the forthcoming XAT exam, the XAT exam syllabus 2024 has six major components which are:
- Overall XAT Syllabus 2024 and Pattern section wise
- XAT Syllabus 2024 for Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning
- XAT exam Syllabus for Decision Making
- Syllabus for Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
- Syllabus for General Knowledge
- Syllabus for Essay Writing Test
XAT Exam Pattern and Syllabus 2024
XAT is online computer based test. The aggregate maximum marks in XAT exam are 100 for 100 MCQ type questions divided in 4 sections and additional 1-3 marks for Essay writing test. Each correct answer for MCQ is awarded +1 mark and each wrong answer will attract the penalty of -0.25 mark. However, General Awareness and Essay Writing sections have No negative marking. Total time duration for the XAT 2024 exam is 3 hours 10 minutes. XAT exam pattern and syllabus 2024 is as below:
Number of questions
Overall Time Duration
75 Total MCQs
Verbal and Logical Ability
No Sectional Time Limit
No Sectional Time Limit
Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
No Sectional Time Limit
25 Total MCQs + Essay Writing Test
1 Descriptive Topic
Total questions (Part 1 + Part 2)
Candidate are allowed to go to Part 2 after completing the time duration of 165 minutes in Part 1 Read More
Key Changes in XAT Exam Pattern and Syllabus 2024
Keeping pace with time and periodical changes are the key features of XAT exam pattern and syllabus. Each year you can find some or other changes in XLRI XAT exam. Some of the important changes that XLRI has announced for XAT exam pattern and syllabus 2024 are:
- XAT Syllabus 2024 has 5 Sections instead of earlier 4 sections
- Subjective Question on Essay Writing has been restored to XAT exam syllabus 2024
- All the 5 subjects on Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning; Decision Making; Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation; General Knowledge and Essay Writing Test, will form single question paper in single section instead of two different parts without break
- Total number of questions as per XAT exam 2024 pattern not to exceed 101
- All questions in first 4 sections will be of MCQ type
- Essay Writing test is descriptive type
- 75 Multiple Choice Questions in 3 Core sections are with negative marking
- 25 GK MCQs are without negative marking but not counted for percentile calculation
- The Descriptive Essay Writing Test is without negative marking
You should also be aware how much time is required to cover the complete XAT syllabus 2024 and which are the most important and different sections to be covered first in the syllabus. Your XAT exam preparation should also be devised as per the XAT syllabus and pattern of the exam.
XAT 2024 Exam Syllabus: Overview
Section & Percentage of Weightage in XAT Exam Percentile Calculation
Important XAT Syllabus Topics
Verbal & Logical Ability: % Wt 35%
(26 Questions Out of 75)
Verbal & RC
Vocabulary, fill in the blanks with correct words, synonyms/antonyms, contextual usage, Jumbled Paragraphs, Correction of errors, Correct use of words, Completion of sentences, Completion of paragraph, RC passages based on Abstract topics, Literature, Social and Economic issues; Science & Culture; history & fiction
Analogy, Clocks, calendars, Fact, Inference, Judgement, binary logic, seating arrangement, blood relations, logical sequence, assumption, premise, conclusion
Decision Making (DM): 28% Wt
(21 Questions Out of 75)
Conditions and Grouping Test; Data Arrangement Test; Complex Arrangement; Decision Making in a situation; Case lets
Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation (QADI): 37% Wt
(28 Questions Out of 75)
LCM and HCF, Percentages, Profit and Loss, Interest (Simple and Compound), Speed, Time and Distance; Time and Work; Averages; Ratio and Proportion, Number System, Algebra, Geometry, Mensuration, Pure Math, Venn diagrams, Linear Equations, Quadratic Equations, Complex Numbers, Logarithm, Progressions, Binomial Theorem, Surds and Indices, Inequalities, Permutation and Combination, Probability, Functions, Set Theory, Mixtures and Alligations, Trigonometry
Analysis of comparative Data Tables, Data charts, Bar diagrams, Pie charts, Graphs
General Awareness (GK): 25 Qs; No Weight (Not counted for XAT percentile calculation)
National and International current affairs, Conventional GK, Constitution of India, Company profiles, logos, Business & Economy, Who’s who, Books & Authors, Capitals & Currencies
Essay Writing Test – Online Descriptive Test: No weightage as not counted for XAT percentile calculation
XLRI will conduct XAT 2024 as a computer based test in a single session across the country. Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) 2024 is one of the largest National level MBA entrance exams to which around one lakh candidates apply.
XAT 2024 syllabus in detail
The fact is that you will find it difficult to prepare for XAT unless you know the key topics in XAT entrance exam syllabus as well as XLRI syllabus. The first thing to note is that XLRI syllabus and XAT exam syllabus are the same. Please remember that XAT syllabus does not leave any study topic untouched in any section. The XAT exam 2024 syllabus shared below is based on revamped and updated Syllabus for XAT, the structure of which stands totally changed.
Most Important Sections in XAT 2024 Syllabus
XAT syllabus 2024 will overall test the candidate on Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning; Decision Making; Quantitative Aptitude & Data Interpretation as the key sections to determine your percentile and merit position. The other sections on General Awareness (GK) and Essay Writing do not have any pre defined XAT syllabus 2024 nor it is counted for percentile calculation. XAT syllabus covers all the major topics on all the above test sections.
Section-1: XAT 2024 Syllabus for Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning
Section Highlights: Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) exam Syllabus for Verbal Ability, Reading Comprehension and Logical Reasoning section in XAT 2024 is divided in 3 parts. The 1st part of XAT 2024 syllabus covers questions based on Verbal Ability; 2nd part of XAT 2024 exam syllabus on the 1st section covers Reading Comprehension passages and the 3rd part on VARC & LR section is based on questions on different topics on Logical Reasoning.
Number of Questions: The revamped pattern in XAT exam syllabus for VARC & LR section shows that there are 26 MCQs in this section of XAT exam.
Major topics covered in XAT detailed syllabus 2024 for VARC & LR are:
Part-1: XAT 2024 Syllabus for Verbal Ability
Topics on which VA questions are based:
- English Vocabulary based questions – fill in the blanks with correct words; synonyms/antonyms; contextual usage on vocabulary words
- Jumbled Paragraphs
- Correction of errors in sentences, correct use of words
- Completion of sentences
- Completion of paragraph
Part-2: XAT 2024 Syllabus for Reading Comprehension (RC)
- Share of Reading Comprehension in VARC & LR section is very high
- Topics on which RC passages are based: Abstract topics, Literature, Social and Economic issues; Science & Culture; history & fiction among others.
- There is no clear cut definition of RC topics in XAT exam syllabus. RC passage on any topic under the Sun can be placed in XAT exam.
- Type of RC passages: Moderate and short
- Type of Questions: All MCQ type
Format of questions: Questions based on information in RC passage; explanation of the words & phrases as used in the passage; In context of the passage –True/false statements; Author’s view on various issues raised in the RC passage; Inference from the passage; main idea of RC passage; Purpose of the RC passage
Part-3: XAT Exam 2024 Syllabus for Logical Reasoning (LR)
- Share of LR questions in XAT syllabus is not very high. Usually there are few critical reasoning and a few LR based questions in XAT exam. All questions are of MCQ type.
- Topics covered in XAT syllabus on which LR questions are based: Analogy, Clocks, calendars, Fact, Inference, Judgement, binary logic, seating arrangement, blood relations, logical sequence, assumption, premise, conclusion among others.
- XLRI entrance exam syllabus defines that questions on Logical Reasoning can be individual or can be in the sets.
Section-2: XAT 2024 Syllabus for Decision Making
Section Highlights: XAT detailed syllabus 2023 on Decision Making is unique as neither CAT nor any other national level entrance exam has Decision Making as one of its exam sections.
Number of Questions: There are 21 questions in this section.
Major Topics: Decision Making is the problem or case solving expertise of a candidate. Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) measures such skills broadly on following topics:
- Conditions and Grouping Test;
- Data Arrangement Test;
- Complex Arrangement;
- Decision Making in a situation;
- Case lets
Section-3: XAT exam 2024 Syllabus for Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation
Section Highlights: XAT detailed syllabus 2024 for Quant and DI section is very wide. QA & DI is the 3rd and last section responsible for percentile calculation, in the revamped XAT exam pattern. Syllabus of XAT 2024 for Quant is vast and covers everything in Mathematics that you may or may not expect.
Number of Questions: There would be 28 MCQs on Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation section in XAT 2024.
Major Topics: Quantitative Ability
Syllabus on Quant is based on questions on different topics on Arithmetic, Algebra, Modern Math, Geometry, Mensuration, Trignometry among others. Major topics covered in XAT syllabus for Quant are as under
- LCM and HCF
- Profit and Loss
- Interest (Simple and Compound)
- Speed, Time and Distance; Time and Work; Averages; Ratio and Proportion and others
- Number System
- Geometry including Co-ordinate Geometry
- Pure Math
- Venn diagrams
- Linear Equations
- Quadratic Equations
- Complex Numbers
- Binomial Theorem
- Surds and Indices
- Permutation and Combination
- Probability Functions
- Set Theory
- Mixtures and Alligations
XAT Exam 2024 Syllabus for Data Interpretation (DI)
Questions in Data Interpretation in XAT exam are in sets in most cases. Sometimes individual questions are also asked. All the questions are of MCQ type. DI questions in XAT exam are in the set of 4 questions. Questions on interpretation and analysis of data based on text, tables, graphs (line, area), charts (column, bar, pie), venn diagram, are asked. Data could be given in form of tables, charts or graphs. In this section it is tested that how candidates can interpret the given data and answer questions based on it.
Major Topics Covered:
- Data Tables
- Data charts
- Bar diagrams
- Pie charts
- Data analysis and comparison
Section-4: XAT Exam Syllabus 2024 for GK
Section Highlights: Syllabus for second part in XAT exam consists of General Awareness (GK) section. The score in this section is not taken into account for percentile calculation in XAT exam. Questions can be based on current as well as conventional GK. In-depth and regular reading of GK helps more as sometimes a few GK questions in XAT appear more tricky and need intensive reading
Number of Questions: As per the changed pattern of XAT exam, there would be 25 questions of Multiple Choice type in XAT 2024 exam.
Major Topics Covered: Economics, finance, national and international current affairs are a few of the many topics on which questions are placed in this section in XAT exam.
- Economics, finance,
- National and International current affairs
- Conventional GK
- Constitution of India
- Company profiles, logos,
- Business & Economy
- Who’s who
- Books & Authors
- Capitals & Currencies
Section-5: XAT Exam Syllabus 2024 for Essay Writing Test
- Essay writing is the descriptive online computer based test in XAT
- This test was scrapped in 2019 but was restored in 2022
- Essay writing in XAT is the test of writing skill of an aspirant
- The test requires that the test taker should write a coherent and logical essay on the given topic. The XLRI entrance exam syllabus on Essay Writing test is not limited to any particular type of topic
- Past trends in XAT reveal that it needs a well worded essay on the contemporary or abstract topic.
Number of questions: 1 Descriptive
- Test taker has to write essay on one topic but sometimes there is choice to choose between 2 topics and sometimes there is no choice at all.
- The test taker is supposed to write after giving a thought and produce a better piece of writing.
- Total time available for part-2 of XAT exam is 35 minutes which include GK and Essay Writing sections. You need to complete both sections during this time.
- Essay in XAT plays important role in the Personal Interview round as questions are based on what you have written in your XAT Essay
Major Topics for Essay Writing Test
Below are some of the past and expected XAT essay topics, which should be prepared and understood well
- Ethical Practices and Sustainability: Do they co-exist?
- Globalization and Jingoism always coexist
- Listening is a dying art. We hardly listen to understand. We only listen to refute or reply.
- The most beautiful thing can neither be seen nor be touched but can only be felt
- Corruption is the root cause of economic slowdown in India
- Earth provides enough to satisfy everybody's need but not everybody's greed
- Gender Imbalance would lead to Third World War
- Economic growth without environmental damage – a mirage or a reality
- India has one of the largest pools of talented manpower, but few innovations and patented products
- More than one billion Indians: A gigantic problem or a sea of opportunities
- National Education Policy (NEP) 2020 a good step
- Establishing Bad Bank to improve Economy
- Building Central Vista will improve India’s Global image
- Covid Pandemic derailed Economic growth
- Unity in Diversity is more relevant now in India
- Blues of Demonetization still haunt the economic growth
- Unless Agriculture is practiced as business, it will not improve the face of Rural India
- Sensitivity of Sensex has nothing to do with economic growth
- Society bears the burn of terrorism which has no religion
- Democracy will lose meaning without social activism
- GST is no magic band to push faster economic growth
- Home buyers remain homeless, no teeth given to RERA
- Making business lobbying legal can reduce corruption
- Political interests and Uniform civil code cannot go hand in hand
Key Points to Note on XAT Syllabus 2024
- Candidates searching for XLRI entrance exam syllabus should note that the Syllabus for XAT 2024 is the outcome of the topics which have earlier appeared in XAT exam earlier, although the type of questions, their composition, format and number may change in each subsequent XAT exam.
- One of the key features in the Syllabus for XAT 2023, is that there wouldn’t be any repetition of XAT questions. The difficulty level of questions as per the syllabus for XAT 2024 is to remain moderate to difficult
- The questions would remain within the prescribed broad areas of exam syllabus for XAT 2024
- XLRI-XAT entrance exam syllabus or XAT 2023 exam is not pre-defined by XLRI, Jamshedpur nor the syllabus was outlined earlier also. Syllabus of XAT exam 2024 is based on the mentioned guidelines and current structure of XAT exam.
XAT MBA Syllabus: Yearly Modifications
The syllabus for XAT changes every year. For example, the pattern of XAT exam during last 3-4 years has changed tremendously. On the one hand, number of questions in syllabus are reduced, on the other hand the exam has restored the essay writing test which was scrapped earlier in 2019. With the changed number of questions, more focus has shifted to first three sections which are accounted for determining the merit position in written XAT exam. More updated topics are now contained in XAT exam syllabus 2024.
If you wish to crack XAT 2024 with high score, you should prepare in accordance with the XAT exam prescribed syllabus which is modified and changed every year.
XAT Syllabus and pattern is not pre-defined by XLRI. However, every year, it is updated by XAT experts with anticipated changes in XAT exam pattern and the topics. After this exercise, XAT section wise syllabus is updated. The prospective test takers can also download XAT syllabus Pdf 2024 and prepare accordingly.
XAT Syllabus PDF
XAT syllabus Pdf is very wide with many topics getting added or deleted every year. It goes on changing with each XAT exam. The updated XAT 2024 syllabus PDF can help you boost your XAT preparation as per the current XAT pattern. The XAT Syllabus 2024 PDF download is available online. The XAT Syllabus Pdf 2024 contains the existing and expected topics alongwith the type of questions expected in XAT exam.
XAT Vs XLRI Syllabus 2024
Candidates searching for XLRI entrance exam syllabus should note that the XAT entrance Exam Syllabus 2024 and XLRI Syllabus are not different. Xavier Aptitude Test exam syllabus 2024 is the outcome of the topics which have earlier appeared in XAT exam although the type of questions, their composition, format and number may change in each subsequent exam syllabus.
The key point in the XAT MBA exam syllabus 2023 is that there wouldn’t be any repetition of XAT questions. The difficulty level of questions as per the syllabus 2024 may go higher or lower in XAT 2024 exam. The XAT 2024 Exam syllabus signifies that the questions in XAT exam 2024 would remain within the prescribed broad areas of XAT syllabus.
City-wise List & Cut Off of MBA Colleges accepting XAT 2023