MBAUniverse.com presents inspiring success stories of CAT toppers who triumphed in securing admissions to top IIMs, XLRI, and esteemed institutions. Gain motivation from their well-planned preparation strategies, valuable insights on MBA entrance exam readiness, Personal Interviews, and MBA college selection.
Today, we present the motivational interview with Jay Bosamia Rajendra from Mumbai who cracked CAT 2022 with 98.79%ile and is currently pursuing MBA from IIM Kozhikode. Jay is a Chartered Accountant which he completed in first attempt while pursuing his B.Com from NMIMS Mumbai. Jay has gained work experience of 28 months with PwC and Reliance Nippon Life Insurance before joining IIM Kozhikode 2023-25 batch.
|IIM Lucknow to Conduct CAT 2023: Check Exam Date, Pattern, Syllabus, Preparation|
Jay Bosamia’s CAT preparation journey has a lot of lessons. For instance, how did he overcome his weakness in VARC section, and how did he maximize on her strengths. A firm believer of hardwork, perfection, dedication, commitment and integrity, Jay is a Tennis Player and loves reading books. Jay also loves solving puzzles and is likes Sudoku and Rubiks cube. With this introduction, let’s read Jay Bosamia’s responses to MBAUniverse.com questions.
Q: How did you perform in CAT 2022?
A: I scored 98.79 overall percentile in CAT 2022. Coming to sectional scores, I scored 93.96%ile in VARC, 99.37%ile in DILR and 95.24%ile in QA.
Q: Did you take any other exam apart from CAT?
A: Apart from CAT, I did not appear in any other exam.
Q: What was your overall preparation strategy for CAT?
A: I started my CAT preparation relatively late in July first week. My mentor from my CAT classes had given me a daily target for each section during the weekdays. My strategy was to analyze my strengths and weaknesses, form a technique of question selection and time management. Giving a lot of mocks gave me a confidence as well as ground to test my strategies & choose the best one during the D-Day.
Q: What was your strategy to prepare for VARC?
A: The only thing that matters in VARC is the ability to connect the author’s concept and eliminate the wrong options. It is only possible by reading fiction books, opinion articles from newspapers, etc. I used to read fiction books and also tried to solve atleast 2 sets daily because practice is important.
Q: How did you prepare for DILR?
A: Out of all the 3 sections, I was most comfortable with DILR. My mentor had given me a target to solve atleast 2-3 sets daily as practice is the only way to become better but if done consistently will give Top notch confidence. I used to solve 10-15 games of sudoku everyday while travelling to and from office. I can’t emphasize how helpful it was since a lot of questions are 2x2,3x3,4x4, etc matrix based.
Q: How did you prepare for QA?
A: Practice is the only key to solve QA. I used to practice a given number of questions daily. My major focus was on Arithmetic, Numbers and a few easy topics.
Q: Was there any particular section/area that you were weak at? How did you overcome this challenge?
A: VARC was the weakest section for me and I overcome this by practicing mocks & sectional tests. I tried various strategies to crack the VARC section like focusing only on attempts or only on accuracy but the one that’s works best is to strike a balance between both.
Q: What role did Mocks play in your success? How many mocks did you attempt before the exam?
A: Mocks was the key to my success. I had given more than 40 mocks. I spent more time on analysing mocks rather than solving mocks. It provides more insights on the “Why” aspect of solving or not solving a question. As CAT is a game of correct selection it becomes very important to master the art of selecting correct question.
Q: Did you self-prepare for CAT Exam or did you attend a Coaching Centre and why?
A: I had taken online classes from IMS as it is very popular. Their mocks are one of the best. It was not possible for me to attend all the lectures due to work commitments but I tried to attend majority Quants lectures.
Q: Which books did you refer during your preparation and how effective were they?
A: I had bought Oswal past papers book for more practice.
Q: Please share your strategy for the CAT Day. What was your last-minute preparation? How did you plan your CAT test taking?
A: The most important strategy was not to panic during the D Day. So, I had started taking a light approach for last 2-3 days. Before every section I used to visualize how I’m going to approach the section. No matter how bad any section went it should not hamper my other sections.
Q: Which Top B-schools shortlisted you for personal interview round?
A: I was shortlisted by IIM Kozhikode, SPJIMR Mumbai, SJMSoM IIT Bombay, IIM Shillong and for IIM CAP
Q: How did you prepare for GD/PI/WAT Rounds?
A: I used to read newspapers everyday. I also had to revisit all my academic concepts & gave 7-8 mock interviews in classes.
Q: Which B-schools you finally converted?
A: I converted IIM Kozhikode, IIM Shillong and the CAP IIMs
Q: What are your top three criteria for deciding which B-school to apply or take final admission?
A: My top three criteria to decide on a B-school admission are i) Good brand image across globe & alumni network; ii) Placements and iii) Past batch profile
Q: According to you, overall, how can B-schools make their MBA admission process less cumbersome for MBA applicants.
A: I believe that although the process feels like cumbersome but it gives taste of the real world. It is also true that it is difficult to judge a candidate’s potential within a few minutes. But it’s “Been there, done that” by a lot of students every year.
Q: Finally, your message and tips for candidates preparing for CAT 2023
A: I believe the process of preparing for CAT is quite enjoyable. I definitely agree that its full of ups & downs, sometimes our confidence takes a hit, but its totally okay. The idea is to go on what is to be done rather than overthink on the result. CAT is more of a mental game rather than game of skill since a lot of candidates would lose the fight even before the real fight begins. D Day is going to be full of pressure but the one with a calm mind & open attitude wins the game. Ultimately, it's important to remember that CAT is merely an exam and it does not define your true potential. So, make the most of the journey and enjoy every step along the way.
Team MBAUniverse.com hopes that this interview was truly inspiring for you! Don't miss out on the opportunity to explore more motivational stories from students who have made their mark at IIMs, IIFT, MDI, XLRI, and beyond. Let their journeys ignite the fire within you…Success awaits you!
Read more inspirational stories & secret mantras of CAT Toppers, only on MBAUniverse.com
- Why SPJIMR is A Preferred Destination for CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile? Aditya, Prateek, Pooja, Sundar Joined SPJIMR Mumbai and Declined IIMs, XLRI, IITs, MDI, SIBM; Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- Why CAT 2022 Topper with 99.44%ile, Akshat Agarwal, declined IIMs, MDI to Join MBA at IIT Delhi; How he prepared & cracked the Exam-MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile Jatin, Shrey, Vishal, Nikhil Joined IIM Kashipur and Declined Other Top B-schools? Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- How Pooja Sudhakar from Chennai, Working as Marketing Professional at Mockat, cracked CAT 2022 with 99.11%ile, and got into SPJIMR Mumbai
- XLRI Student Nipun Garg Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.95% and CAT 2022 with 97.02; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over IIMs, MDI - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Jay Bosamia, A Chartered Accountant with Work Experience at PwC & Reliance overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 98.79%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- XLRI Student Tanish Jain Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.99% and CAT 2022 with 99.78; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over FMS - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Patna's Prateek Rai secured 99.80%ile in CAT 2022 and joined SPJIMR Mumbai by sacrificing Social Media, uninstalling YouTube, and overcoming his Weaknesses
- How K. Sashank, Software Developer at JIO from Coimbatore overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 99.90%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- ‘XAT Not More Difficult than CAT’ Nandagopal V Busts the Myth; Scored 99.99%ile in XAT 2023 and 99.15%ile in CAT 2022; Declines Top IIMs to join XLRI Jamshedpur - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Gurgaon Girl & NIFT Graduate Kirti Goyal Cracks CAT with 99.1%ile, Secures admission at IIM Kozhikode! Shares her success strategies with MBAUniverse.com
- How Mumbai Girl and VJTI Engineer Srishti Yadav overcame her weakness to crack CAT with 99.69%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- Why Amit Kumar Chakraborty, CAT 2022 Topper with 99.34 %ile & XAT 2023 Topper with 99.55%ile declined NITIE, SPJIMR, MDI to join XLRI Jamshedpur; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Soumik Banerjee, an Engineer Working with Public Sector, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.95%ile and Got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Bhanu Pratap, A Small Town Boy from Farmer Family and a Fresher, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.67%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Mehak Rathi, a Psychologist & Graphologist, cracked CAT 2022 with 98.08 % to get into MDI Gurgaon - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 Topper from Agriculture Family, Kunal declined IIMs, IIFT to join MDI Gurgaon; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Defense Personnel Ward and Consultant at Deloitte, Avinash Cracked IIFT Entrance and Got into IIFT Delhi MBA (IB) 2023-25 – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How An Agriculture Science Graduate, Amit Shailesh cracked CAT 2022 with 96.42%ile and got into IIM Lucknow – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 & IIFT Topper Pushti Shah declined 11 IIMs to join IIFT Delhi; How She cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Chemical Engineer and Fresher Shivam cracked CAT 2022 with 99.84%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Software Tester Shreyasee Sarkar cracked CAT 2022 with 99.68%ile and got into IIM Calcutta
- How a CA and Asset Management Expert cracked CAT 2021 with 94.78%ile to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How a CA, NTSE Scholar and a Published Poet cracked CAT 2021 with 98.49% to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Ekansh Gupta, a Poet and Working Professional from Moradabad cracked CAT with 99.91 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How a BBA Graduate and Fresher from Surat, Yashvi Bansal Cracked CAT with 94.72%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Arts & Craft lover, a blogger with BMS, Pranita Maheshwari Cracked CAT with 98.81%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How a BMS Graduate from DU working at DE Shaw, Nandan Goel cracked CAT with 99.95 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How A Graphic Designer, Painter with B.Tech, Nancy Jain Cracked CAT 2020 with 99.72 %ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021-23
- How Software Developer at Nomura and IEM Kolkata Graduate from Surat - Shubham cracked CAT with 99.98%ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How an Animation & VFX Lover with B.Tech Venkata Satya Srikar Medisetti from Tuni Cracked CAT with 98.44%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA
- How A Kathak Dancer, Painter & Engineer Vasundhara Tiwari, Working as Accounts Manager –cracked CAT with 96.68%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Electrical Engineer & Working Professional Shuktisindhu Mondal Cracked CAT 2019 & got IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How National Medalist in Swimming, A Triathlon Participant & Chemical Engineer Tanishq Diddee Cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How Doordarshan Anchor, Kathak Dancer and Graduate in Tourism, Shefali Chhaya cracked CAT 2019 and Got into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Miss India Finalist and Law Graduate Adya Niraj cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- CAT Toppers Video Series: How Masscom grad Sandeep Rajguru cracked CAT to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- An NGO Activist and BBA from Surat, Nikita cracked CAT with 99.22%ile; Preferred PGPM at MDI Gurgaon instead of IIMs
- How CA Anushree Naik juggled her finance job in Mumbai, and yet cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIMA! MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Video Series with CAT Toppers: Tanuj Ruia tells MBAUniverse.com how he cracked CAT and PI/WAT Round to get into IIM Bangalore
- Chandanbala, a B.Com with 51% Cracks CAT 2019 with 98.28%ile; Gets into IIM Udaipur; Never found Questions too Hard
- How Alappuzha Girl and NIT Calicut Graduate Sruthy cracked CAT with 97.71%ile and got into IIM Lucknow for MBA 2020!
- How Working Professional & IIT Roorkee Graduate Rahul Gupta cracked CAT with 100%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
- How Surat Boy and NIT Hamirpur Graduate Shantanu Yadav cracked CAT with 99.7%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!