Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII), Ahmedabad has emerged as a leading management institute and its PGDM and PGDM-IEV programmes focus on grooming highest number of Entrepreneurs as 78% of its alumni are entrepreneurs. Top executives of apex financial institutions are on the Board of Governors of EDII.
Despite the prevailing Covid pandemic situation, learning at EDII has never stopped as the institute has adopted hybrid mode of learning and plans to reopen the campus once the situation normalizes. For PGDM admission 2021, EDII has decided to conduct online interviews instead of physical in person PI round at the campus.
Dr Sunil Shukla Director General of EDII, is associated with the institute for a long time and is also the national team leader of Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM) India, the largest study of entrepreneurial dynamics. Dr Shukla’s entrepreneurship growth model for the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) countries has been recognized for ensuing development and trade in the region. MBAUniverse.com spoke to Dr Sunil Shukla to learn more about the EDII and its innovative PGDM programs.
Excerpts of the Interview are shared below:
Q. EDII is known for its different approach in imparting management education, how is the PGDM at the institute different as compared to other B-schools?
EDII focuses on creating owner – managers and follows a curriculum that is application-oriented. The well-conceived training intervention is outcome-based. The courses, in addition to, imparting knowledge on creating and managing business, enhance knowledge in the functional areas of marketing, finance, international business, HRM, information system and language and communication. EDII extends necessary follow up support to ensure that as per their identified business opportunity, the students have a sound and bankable business plan. Students of Family Business Management are ready with a Five Year Perspective Growth Plan.
Q. Which are the management programmes available at EDII for Freshers? Does EDII plan to launch any new programme this year?
EDII is a preferred Institute for Entrepreneurship Education. EDII’s flagship programmes include AICTE approved 2-year:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Management- Entrepreneurship (PGDM-E)
- PGDM in Innovation, Entrepreneurship & Venture Development (IEV)
The Institute has also launched several need-based, market essential short term management programmes.
Q. Please share the key USPs of PGDM in Entrepreneurship (PGDM-E)
The Post Graduate Diploma in Management- Business Entrepreneurship (PGDM-BE) offers specializations in New Venture Creation and Family Business Management. This course, following an outcome based learning approach, also offers electives which besides imparting knowledge on creating and managing business, enhances knowledge in the functional areas of marketing, finance, international business, HRM, information system and language and communication. At the end of two years students are ready with a bankable project report. EDII extends the necessary follow up support to ensure that as per their identified business opportunity, they have a sound and bankable business plan. Students of Family Business Management are ready with a Five Year Perspective Growth Plan.
The Programme USPs include:
- EDII Launchpad – This co-working space enables student entrepreneurs to work individually or in a team to gain entrepreneurial experience and understand the market pressures and demands in the early stage of start-ups.
- EDII Gurukul – This has been launched to provide mentoring and networking support to students and professionals who are passionate about starting new ventures.
- Milestone based learning – This has been introduced to enable students to achieve stepping stones in their entrepreneurial journey. The students can undertake this while still pursuing their course at EDII. The Institute also provides seed funding to successful milestone bonus point achievers for setting up new ventures.
Q. PGDM IEV is a recently launched programme. Please share the need of launching this programme and its key USPs
The course is aimed at innovative leadership, financial skills for entrepreneurs and business innovation planning. This AICTE approved two years’ full-time programme will provide necessary knowledge and skills for the development of ideas into sustainable business opportunities.
The programme USPs include:
- Course design is in consonance with the start-up revolution in India and globally.
- The course design aims to facilitate management of innovation and venture development from foundation to advanced stages.
- The programme will develop financial skills of entrepreneurs and help them in applying their entrepreneurial skills in real life situations.
- For the first time ever, this is a course that combines academic and business incubation expertise to provide a holistic course layout.
- Includes residency learning module as well as venture establishment phase at the Institute’s technology business incubator ‘Centre for Advancing & Launching Enterprises (CrAdLE)
Q. It has been about 6 years since you have taken over as the Director General of EDII – how has the journey been and what is your vision for EDII?
EDII has kept pace with the changing market trends. Also, inclusive growth has been our focus. We have introduced programmes for all sections of people. With accent on entrepreneurship education, the Institute has implemented a new academic course and several new programmes to place people on the path of self employment. Our action plan is based on a detailed probe and analysis. Simultaneously, we have sought to float a variety of programmes for the disadvantaged and the lesser privileged sections of society. The coming years will see us placing a stronger accent in these areas.
Over the next few years or so, we look forward to institutionalising business support services and resources to accelerate the process of New Enterprise Creation and also to strengthen the existing edifice of business in the country. Skill based learning will be the focus of initiatives. All in all, entrepreneurship will be promoted and widespread PAN India through outcome based projects and programmes.
Q. What are the key milestones achieved by EDII in its 38 years of journey?
EDII is into entrepreneurship education, training, research, institution building and policy advocacy for the last 38 years and has taken entrepreneurship across sections and sectors. The success rate of the Post Graduate Diploma in Management- Business Entrepreneurship (PGDM-BE) programme is 78 percent with students either setting up own business or joining their family business. Some of the achievements over 38 years include the following:
- Evolved the Entrepreneurship Development Programme (EDP) Model; widely being implemented as EDI-EDP Model at national & international levels.
- Research on 'Review of Entrepreneurship Curricula in Higher Learning Institutions' helped University Grants Commission, Govt. of India in developing entrepreneurship curriculum for college level education.
- Research on 'Entry Barriers to Entrepreneurship: As Perceived by Youth, facilitated the Ministry of SSI & ARI, Govt. of India in framing policy to establish Entrepreneurship and Business Development Centres in Universities.
- Launched the first-of-its-kind structured educational programme to train students in New Enterprise Creation and Family Business Management. Subsequently won recognitions for the course including; AICTE, AIU, NBA and USASBE-USA
- Introduced the industrial cluster development model (including cluster development executives' concept) leading to formulation of cluster development scheme.
- Founded the mechanism for inclusion of informal sector within the fold of cluster development archetypal.
- Pioneered the study on Business Development Services (BDS) market in India, thus giving recognition to the BDS market development approach in the country.
- Piloted the replicable model of creating cadre of Micro Business Counsellors (MCBs) under Kudumbashree-the Kerala State Poverty Eradication Mission, to ensure survival and growth of existing enterprises. The model has been widely replicated.
- Designed an integrated nationally replicable programme for start-ups (Village Entrepreneurship). The Start-up Village Entrepreneurship Programme adopts creation of MCBs as one of its instruments.
- Played a key role in floating the concept of Rural Self Employment Training Institutes (RSETIs) to yield tangible results across the country. RSETIs have widespread national presence.
- Ensured replication of sectoral/sub-sectoral entrepreneurship development (ED) efforts to broad base this development model for sunrise sectors e.g., food processing.
- Instituted the first ever project to sensitize/train Business Management Organizations. State governments are today replicating the project with resounding success.
- Introduced the concept of urban poverty alleviation based on enterprise and entrepreneurship.
- Formulated policy level interventions for institutionalizing entrepreneurship development in Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Vietnam and Uzbekistan. Work in a few other African countries are under progress.
- Established a DST supported ‘Technology Business Incubator.’
Q. How are the Career Prospects and Placements at EDII for the students? What are the key trends?
78 percent of our alumni have either set up their own enterprise or contribute to the growth of their family business. We encourage new enterprise creation. Our students have set up businesses in varied sectors. In case students wish to gain experience before setting up, we facilitate placements.
The eligibility criteria include a Three-year University Degree in any discipline or a four year degree in Engineering / Technology / Medicine / Others, recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC)/ Association of Indian Universities (AIU) / AICTE with necessary marks. The candidates have to undergo either CAT, MAT, XAT, ATMA or CMAT. PIOs/NRIs/FNs with Association of Indian Universities recognised bachelor’s degree and 50% marks in any discipline can apply. An ideal candidate is the one who fulfils the above requirements and harbours a passion for entrepreneurship
Q. What are the key changes in admission process 2021 in view of Covid pandemic?
The admission process is completely online.
Q. How is EDII adapting to COVID 19 related disruptions? What steps are taken to ensure that learning doesn’t stop?
Learning has not stopped at EDII. Our online classes are going on as per the schedules. We are imparting training and counselling to students. We have set up a studio with all latest equipment to ensure that students get uninterrupted classes, deliberations and learning.
Depending upon the situation amidst the COVID pandemic, we adopt hybrid mode of learning where we alternate between online and offline classes.
Q. What is your message to the candidates seeking admission to EDII?
Entrepreneurship is the be-all and end-all in all situations. I would like more and more youngsters to come forward, learn the nuances of entrepreneurship, identify viable opportunities and set up enterprises. This is an academic discipline that can be mastered like any other discipline. I urge the GenNext to think creative and be innovative. Entrepreneurship is a rewarding domain, so equip yourself with the right kind of knowledge, attitude and skills, before taking the plunge.
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on EDII Ahmedabad