Soon after the close of CAT Registrations on September 22, IIM Ahmedabad (IIMA), the convening IIM for CAT 2021, has shared exam registration number. According to IIMA, “Approximately 2.31 lakh candidates have registered successfully for CAT 2021.” Last year CAT registration count was 2.28 lakh candidates. It should be noted that CAT 2021 registrations are much lower than the pre-Covid CAT 2019 exam when 2.44 lakh candidates had registered.
It may also be noted that CAT Registration numbers are largely stagnant for last decade, having grown by less than 2%. See MBAUniverse.com analysis below. By comparison, total number of IIMs and number of MBA/PGP seats at IIMs have almost doubled in last decade.
It was expected that substantial increase in CAT 2021 Registration numbers will bring some relief to B-schools which are struggling to grow their application and enrolments in last few years. However, this marginal increase in CAT 2021 numbers may not help much. More than 150 B-schools, including MDI, SPJIMR, FMS, IITs, use CAT for their admission process.
CAT Registration Trends – Only 1.95 % CAGR in 10 Years
CAT exam registrations have gone up only marginally in last 10 years. Since 2013 to 2019 CAT Registration witnessed rise in number of CAT exam applicants from 2.05 lakhs to 2.44 lakhs. This is a growth of only 1.95% on a compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) basis. If we include CAT 2020 registrations, which had fell substantially to 2.28 lakhs due to COVID 19, this CAGR will be even less.
Check the number of candidates registering for CAT during last 11 years are:
CAT Registration Number in Lakhs
Source: MBAUniverse.com Analysis
CAT 2021 Release by IIMA: Key Points
Apart from sharing CAT 2021 registration numbers, IIMA has shared following details on 24.9.2021. Some points are repetitions of facts that have already been announced earlier:
- CAT 2021 will be conducted on November 28, 2021 (Sunday).
- The format of the test will remain same as last year, i.e. there will be three shifts of 2-hour examination comprising three sections: i) Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension, ii) Quantitative Ability, and iii) Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- Candidates will be given 40 minutes for each section, PwD candidates will get 13 minutes and 20 seconds extra for each section.
- Considering that there could have been time pressure to complete the CAT exam last year on account of changes made, for CAT 2021 the CAT Committee is making an attempt in reducing the number of questions across all the three sections - QA, DILR and VARC
- CAT 2021 is scheduled to be conducted at over 400 Test Centres, spread across 159 cities in India on 28 November 2021
- Mock Test/Tutorials to understand the format of the test will be available on the CAT website from the last week of October 2021
Common Admission Test (CAT) is the largest MBA entrance exam, leading to admission opportunity in 150+ MBA colleges including 20 IIMs, FMS, MDI, SPJIMR, IITs among others.
- CAT 2021 Records 2.31 Lakhs Registrations, Error Correction Window Opens; CAT Exam on Nov 28 - Check Syllabus, Changes in Paper Pattern, How to Prepare
- CAT 2021 Error Correction Window: Open Now for Three Days with Three Edit Options; Check the Step by Step Process - How to Correct CAT Registration Mistakes?
- CAT 2021 to have Fewer Questions than Last Year? Check the Likely Number & its Implication
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on CAT 2021