The inspirational story of professional Kathak Dancer who has multi dimensional personality and has emerged victorious over all odds to get into India’s one of the top IIMs – IIM Udaipur breaks the myth that cracking CAT and getting into Top IIMs needs long study hours only. On the contrary Vasundhara Tiwari now an IIM Udaipur student of MBA 2020-22 batch has proved that her love for Kathak, Painting and devotion towards her work was no deterrent in pursuing her dream of scoring high in CAT and doing MBA from one of the top IIMs.
Vasundhara Tiwari is Professional Kathak Dancer with 17+ years of learning and 8+ years of performance experience. She is an engineering graduate in computer science from Medicaps Institute of Technology and Management. She had worked for 7 months as a Key Account Manager in Fullscoop Digital, a digital marketing startup, Indore before joining IIM Udaipur. She loves painting and reading as well.
Vasundhara Tiwari scored 96.68 percentile in CAT 2019, converted IIM Udaipur and all the CAP IIMs apart from XIM Bhubaneswar.
Despite being a working professional, Vasundhara was confident to crack CAT 2019 with high score and get into her dream IIM with a firm confidence and planned preparation strategy.
MBAUniverse.com invited Vasundhara to share her preparation and exam taking strategy, GD-PI experience. Read on for her views and success mantras.
Q: Apart from IIM Udaipur, which were the other top B-schools that shortlisted you for final selection round.
A: I was shortlisted for the PI of IIM Ranchi, IIM Trichy, IIM Rohtak, XIMB, IIM Nagpur, IIM Bodh Gaya, IIM Sambalpur, IIM Sirmaur, IIM Udaipur
Q2: What motivated you to choose IIM Udaipur over other B-schools? Please share top 3-4 reasons
A: Key reasons that motivated me to join IIM Udaipur were:
- Talking to the pass outs, I got to know that IIMU is a student-run campus where a lot of decision making power lies in the hands of students. Hence, when you work in the student run organizations here at IIMU, you get to learn a lot
- It has been mentored by IIMA and follows a similar teaching methodology. Faculties visit from IIMA and IIMB
- The placement reports are audited and hence can not be inflated and it has been listed in the MIM, QS rankings
- The trends in last few placement reports clearly exhibit that it is growing at a fast pace and the director Mr. Janat Shah has a Vision 2030 to develop the institute and reach greater levels.
Q: How did you perform in CAT 2019?
A: It was my second CAT experience and I am happy that I cracked CAT 2019 and got IIM Udaipur. I scored 96.68 overall percentile in CAT 2019; 97.01 percentile in VARC section; 98.04 in DILR Section and 85.62 percentile in Quantitative Ability section.
Q: Which top B-schools have offered you admission and which one you have finally chosen?
A: Apart from getting final admission offer from IIM Udaipur, I converted IIM Ranchi, IIM Trichy, IIM Rohtak, XIMB, IIM Nagpur, IIM Bodh Gaya, IIM Sambalpur, IIM Sirmaur. I finally decided to join IIM Udaipur
Q: What have been your academic and family back ground? Do you have some work experience as well?
A: I am a B.E. in Computer Science with 72.6% marks from from Medicaps Institute of Technology and Management. In 10th I scored 91.20% marks and in 12th (PCM) I scored 91% marks. I belong to Indore. My father is a General manager of a logistics firm, Capricorn Logistics and My mother is a Lecturer in English at Government college in Madhya Pradesh. I am their only child. I worked for 7 months as a Key Account Manager in Fullscoop Digital, a digital marketing startup, Indore.
Q: What was your overall preparation strategy for CAT?
A: I focused on sectional tests first, developing the expertise in topics in sections one-by-one and then gave as many mock tests as possible to understand the pace I needed to take the final test. I did not focus on covering the entire syllabus, rather, tried gaining full expertise in the majority of the topics so that the answers don’t go wrong from these.
Q: Please share your sectional preparation strategy for VARC and LRDI in CAT?
A: This was my strongest section. I loved reading since a very young age, and hence had the pace in reading. I tried reading paragraphs from varied subjects such as technology, literature, psychology, mythology etc. One strategy that helped me was when you answer a VARC passage question, use the information mentioned up till the line from where question is, don’t let the information given in the para below affect your answer.
Q: Please share your sectional preparation strategy for DILR in CAT?
A: I started practicing a lot of caselets and did not look at the answers no matter how long it took for me to solve these. With this strategy of trying to attempt as many cases as I could, it helped me develop patterns
Q: Please share your sectional preparation strategy for QA in CAT?
A: I focused on getting correct answers rather than attempting a large number of questions in QA. Rather than trying the whole syllabus and then not getting anything correct, I focused on practicing majority topics again and again and omitted a few that I found very difficult.
Q: Was there any particular section/area that you were weak at? How did you overcome this challenge?
A: I was weak at DILR and took a lot of time in solving the caselets. I used to score around 40-50 percentile in the mock tests. To overcome this, I started practicing a lot of caselets and did not look at the answers no matter how long it took for me to solve these. I remember attempting a caselet of 37 times and then getting it correct in the 38th attempt.
Q: What role did Mocks play in your success? How many mocks did you attempt before the exam?
A: Mocks were the foundation of my success. Mocks tell you where you stand, your weak areas and your strong areas too. I gave about 100 mock tests, sectionals too. One important step is, after you complete your test, give enough time to analyse your performance in it. Keep a note of your weak areas and if you have an All-India series, compare your wrong answers with other candidates whether they were able to solve it or not.
Q: Did you self-prepare or attend a coaching centre and why?
A: I joined a coaching centre, TIME Indore to ensure that I dedicate 2 hours of a day daily to the preparation in the initial months and then 4 hours later. The reading material you get in your coaching centre’s library and their mock series help a lot.
Q: Please share your strategy for the CAT Day. What was your last-minute preparation? How did you plan your CAT test taking?
A: My first aim was to remain calm throughout the test and the sections. VARC was the first section, and I had to maintain my speed through reading. I made sure to complete reading comprehension in 40 mins and the rest in 20. The main aim was not to get distracted while reading the passages so that I don’t have to waste time in reading them again. I had practiced DILR a lot, and hence, it seemed a bit easy. I did not get a few questions’ solutions in QA initially and started to tense a bit. But I knew I had done well in the previous two sections, took a minute to calm myself and tried getting all easy questions done first. I made sure not to make any guesses and avoid negative marking in QA.
Q: How did you prepare for IIM Udaipur GD/PI/WAT?
A: I brushed up on general affairs, and basic concepts of economics, major history events, about RBI, recession, constitution and similar topics. Then, I also prepared some basic HR questions and prepared in-detail about everything mentioned on my resume. I also read in detail 2 subjects from my undergrad and brushed up the rest.
Some PI questions are:
- What are pointers and What is object oriented programming
- What is agile model in software development
- What the fundamental duties listed in the constitution
- What can I apply in MBA that I have learned from my Dance career
- What challenges did I face in my role as a Key Account manager in fullscoop
- What value would an MBA add to my life
- Where do I wish to see myself, if I do not get in any of the MBA colleges this year
Q: In this pandemic situation, was you PI-WAT conducted in person or was conducted Online? How was your PI-WAT experience?
A: My PI-WAT was conducted offline. The PI was a great learning experience, as not only the professors tested my knowledge and confidence, in the end they shared their experience of a few interviews they gave.
CAP was my first interview, and hence I was a bit nervous, but I tried my best to remain confident and calmly answered all of the questions. I politely said I was sorry, if I did not know the answer to any of them and the professors were calm and accommodating too. This interview made me learn the importance of confidence.
Q: Your final message and tips for candidates preparing for CAT 2021
A: For CAT 2021 aspirants, my message is:
- Remain calm but never forget the importance of speed in CAT
- The exam is not too difficult but fast speed plays the key role
- Don’t stress over a question for a lot of time
- While you prepare, focus on a section by section approach and start with your weakest section
Read more inspirational stories & secret mantras of CAT Toppers, only on MBAUniverse.com
Read more inspirational stories & secret mantras of CAT Toppers, only on MBAUniverse.com
- Why SPJIMR is A Preferred Destination for CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile? Aditya, Prateek, Pooja, Sundar Joined SPJIMR Mumbai and Declined IIMs, XLRI, IITs, MDI, SIBM; Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- Why CAT 2022 Topper with 99.44%ile, Akshat Agarwal, declined IIMs, MDI to Join MBA at IIT Delhi; How he prepared & cracked the Exam-MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile Jatin, Shrey, Vishal, Nikhil Joined IIM Kashipur and Declined Other Top B-schools? Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- How Pooja Sudhakar from Chennai, Working as Marketing Professional at Mockat, cracked CAT 2022 with 99.11%ile, and got into SPJIMR Mumbai
- XLRI Student Nipun Garg Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.95% and CAT 2022 with 97.02; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over IIMs, MDI - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Jay Bosamia, A Chartered Accountant with Work Experience at PwC & Reliance overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 98.79%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- XLRI Student Tanish Jain Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.99% and CAT 2022 with 99.78; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over FMS - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Patna's Prateek Rai secured 99.80%ile in CAT 2022 and joined SPJIMR Mumbai by sacrificing Social Media, uninstalling YouTube, and overcoming his Weaknesses
- How K. Sashank, Software Developer at JIO from Coimbatore overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 99.90%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- ‘XAT Not More Difficult than CAT’ Nandagopal V Busts the Myth; Scored 99.99%ile in XAT 2023 and 99.15%ile in CAT 2022; Declines Top IIMs to join XLRI Jamshedpur - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Gurgaon Girl & NIFT Graduate Kirti Goyal Cracks CAT with 99.1%ile, Secures admission at IIM Kozhikode! Shares her success strategies with MBAUniverse.com
- How Mumbai Girl and VJTI Engineer Srishti Yadav overcame her weakness to crack CAT with 99.69%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- Why Amit Kumar Chakraborty, CAT 2022 Topper with 99.34 %ile & XAT 2023 Topper with 99.55%ile declined NITIE, SPJIMR, MDI to join XLRI Jamshedpur; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Soumik Banerjee, an Engineer Working with Public Sector, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.95%ile and Got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Bhanu Pratap, A Small Town Boy from Farmer Family and a Fresher, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.67%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Mehak Rathi, a Psychologist & Graphologist, cracked CAT 2022 with 98.08 % to get into MDI Gurgaon - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 Topper from Agriculture Family, Kunal declined IIMs, IIFT to join MDI Gurgaon; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Defense Personnel Ward and Consultant at Deloitte, Avinash Cracked IIFT Entrance and Got into IIFT Delhi MBA (IB) 2023-25 – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How An Agriculture Science Graduate, Amit Shailesh cracked CAT 2022 with 96.42%ile and got into IIM Lucknow – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 & IIFT Topper Pushti Shah declined 11 IIMs to join IIFT Delhi; How She cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Chemical Engineer and Fresher Shivam cracked CAT 2022 with 99.84%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Software Tester Shreyasee Sarkar cracked CAT 2022 with 99.68%ile and got into IIM Calcutta
- How a CA and Asset Management Expert cracked CAT 2021 with 94.78%ile to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How a CA, NTSE Scholar and a Published Poet cracked CAT 2021 with 98.49% to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Ekansh Gupta, a Poet and Working Professional from Moradabad cracked CAT with 99.91 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How a BBA Graduate and Fresher from Surat, Yashvi Bansal Cracked CAT with 94.72%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Arts & Craft lover, a blogger with BMS, Pranita Maheshwari Cracked CAT with 98.81%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How a BMS Graduate from DU working at DE Shaw, Nandan Goel cracked CAT with 99.95 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How A Graphic Designer, Painter with B.Tech, Nancy Jain Cracked CAT 2020 with 99.72 %ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021-23
- How Software Developer at Nomura and IEM Kolkata Graduate from Surat - Shubham cracked CAT with 99.98%ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How an Animation & VFX Lover with B.Tech Venkata Satya Srikar Medisetti from Tuni Cracked CAT with 98.44%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA
- How A Kathak Dancer, Painter & Engineer Vasundhara Tiwari, Working as Accounts Manager –cracked CAT with 96.68%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Electrical Engineer & Working Professional Shuktisindhu Mondal Cracked CAT 2019 & got IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How National Medalist in Swimming, A Triathlon Participant & Chemical Engineer Tanishq Diddee Cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How Doordarshan Anchor, Kathak Dancer and Graduate in Tourism, Shefali Chhaya cracked CAT 2019 and Got into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Miss India Finalist and Law Graduate Adya Niraj cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- CAT Toppers Video Series: How Masscom grad Sandeep Rajguru cracked CAT to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- An NGO Activist and BBA from Surat, Nikita cracked CAT with 99.22%ile; Preferred PGPM at MDI Gurgaon instead of IIMs
- How CA Anushree Naik juggled her finance job in Mumbai, and yet cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIMA! MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Video Series with CAT Toppers: Tanuj Ruia tells MBAUniverse.com how he cracked CAT and PI/WAT Round to get into IIM Bangalore
- Chandanbala, a B.Com with 51% Cracks CAT 2019 with 98.28%ile; Gets into IIM Udaipur; Never found Questions too Hard
- How Alappuzha Girl and NIT Calicut Graduate Sruthy cracked CAT with 97.71%ile and got into IIM Lucknow for MBA 2020!
- How Working Professional & IIT Roorkee Graduate Rahul Gupta cracked CAT with 100%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
- How Surat Boy and NIT Hamirpur Graduate Shantanu Yadav cracked CAT with 99.7%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on CAT Preparation Strategy by Toppers