Loving your hobbies, discharging your duties at work place and yet pursuing your dream of cracking CAT with high percentile, is not an easy task. On the top of it getting admission in one of the top B-School of India – IIM Udaipur makes you come out with flying colours. This is what Venkata Satya Srikar Medisetti, a B.Tech from NITK Suratkhal, a working professional with pharmaceutical company, hailing from a small picturesque town Tuni in Andhra Pradesh managed to do balancing among his hobbies, job and preparation.
Venkata Satya Srikar Medisetti scored 98.44 percentile in CAT 2019, got interview call from top B-schools, and converted All the CAP and new IIMs including IIM Udaipur, SIBM Bangalore, Hyderabad, IMT Ghaziabad, Hyderabad among others. Of course, his journey wasn’t a cakewalk. It required persistence, focus and ability to effectively juggle multiple roles.
MBAUniverse.com invited Venkata Satya Srikar to understand his CAT preparation plans, how he cracked IIM Udaipur interview and more.
Q: Apart from IIM Udaipur, which were the other top B-schools that shortlisted you for final selection round.
A: I was selected for all the new IIMs and IMT for the final selection round. This includes all the CAP participating new IIMs including IIM Udaipur and other eight IIMs, SIBM Bangalore, SIBM Hyderabad, IMT Ghaziabad and IMT Hyderabad
Q: What motivated you to choose IIM Udaipur over other B-schools? Please share top 3-4 reasons
A: IIM Udaipur’s growth curve was far better than all the new IIMs. The vision established by the board was well planned. Transparency was another factor.
Q: How did you perform in CAT 2019?
A: I scored 98.44 overall percentile in CAT 2019; 92.78 percentile in VARC section; 97.64 in DILR Section and 98.64 percentile in Quantitative Ability section.
Q: Apart from CAT, which other exams did you appear?
A: Apart from CAT, I appeared in SNAP and converted SIBM Bangalore and Hyderabad
Q: Which top B-schools have offered you admission and which one you have finally chosen?
A: Apart from getting final admission offer from IIM Udaipur for MBA 2020-22 batch, I converted all the new IIMs that participated in CAP round, SIBM Bangalore, SIBM Hyderabad, IMT Ghaziabad and IMT Hyderabad. I finally decided to join IIM Udaipur
Q: What are your academics, interests and family back ground? Do you have some work experience as well?
A: I have done B. Tech with 65% from National Institute of Technology Karnataka (NITK), Suratkhal. In 10th I scored 93.5% marks and in 12th I scored 96.2% marks. I belong to Tuni in Andhra Pradesh. My interest areas are Animation, VFX, Swimming. I have 32 months work experience in a pharmaceutical company. My father is Sr. VP in Aurobindo Pharma and Mother is Homemaker.
Q: What was your overall preparation strategy for CAT?
A: I was trying to balance out all the sections so as not to neglect any of them.
Q: Please share your sectional preparation strategy for CAT? How did you prepare for VARC; DILR; Quant
A: For DILR and Quant I kept solving as many questions as I could. I tried to compile all the formulas at one place for Quant as it helps a lot during revisions.
Q: Was there any particular section/area that you were weak at? How did you overcome this challenge?
A: VARC was the slightly weaker section for me where I had to spend more time.
Q: What role did Mocks play in your success? How many mocks did you attempt before the exam?
A: I solved many mock papers including previous year papers and I felt that they do play significant role to get into the examination mindset and to understand the time constraints.
Q: Did you self-prepare or attend a coaching centre and why?
A: I felt I was fine with self preparation so that’s what I did.
Q: Please share your strategy for the CAT Day. What was your last-minute preparation? How did you plan your CAT test taking?
A: I woke up with a clear mind and I reduced my preparation over the last couple days to relieve stress. As I said I collected formulas in one place, I carried it along with me to read on the way.
Q: How did you prepare for IIM Udaipur GD/PI/WAT? Please share some of your WAT topics & PI questions?
A: I was well prepared for the CAP interviews as I had already faced a couple others. Most of the discussion was around my work experience and on why I wanted to pursue an MBA.
Q: In this pandemic situation, was you PI-WAT conducted in person or was conducted Online? How was your PI-WAT experience?
A: My WAT-PI was conducted offline
Q: Your final message and tips for candidates preparing for CAT 2021
A: Do not be afraid of how the exam will be. Just go with the flow and do not get stuck on a particular question. Move on and come back to it later.
Read more inspirational stories & secret mantras of CAT Toppers, only on MBAUniverse.com
- Why SPJIMR is A Preferred Destination for CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile? Aditya, Prateek, Pooja, Sundar Joined SPJIMR Mumbai and Declined IIMs, XLRI, IITs, MDI, SIBM; Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- Why CAT 2022 Topper with 99.44%ile, Akshat Agarwal, declined IIMs, MDI to Join MBA at IIT Delhi; How he prepared & cracked the Exam-MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile Jatin, Shrey, Vishal, Nikhil Joined IIM Kashipur and Declined Other Top B-schools? Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- How Pooja Sudhakar from Chennai, Working as Marketing Professional at Mockat, cracked CAT 2022 with 99.11%ile, and got into SPJIMR Mumbai
- XLRI Student Nipun Garg Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.95% and CAT 2022 with 97.02; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over IIMs, MDI - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Jay Bosamia, A Chartered Accountant with Work Experience at PwC & Reliance overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 98.79%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- XLRI Student Tanish Jain Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.99% and CAT 2022 with 99.78; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over FMS - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Patna's Prateek Rai secured 99.80%ile in CAT 2022 and joined SPJIMR Mumbai by sacrificing Social Media, uninstalling YouTube, and overcoming his Weaknesses
- How K. Sashank, Software Developer at JIO from Coimbatore overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 99.90%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- ‘XAT Not More Difficult than CAT’ Nandagopal V Busts the Myth; Scored 99.99%ile in XAT 2023 and 99.15%ile in CAT 2022; Declines Top IIMs to join XLRI Jamshedpur - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Gurgaon Girl & NIFT Graduate Kirti Goyal Cracks CAT with 99.1%ile, Secures admission at IIM Kozhikode! Shares her success strategies with MBAUniverse.com
- How Mumbai Girl and VJTI Engineer Srishti Yadav overcame her weakness to crack CAT with 99.69%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- Why Amit Kumar Chakraborty, CAT 2022 Topper with 99.34 %ile & XAT 2023 Topper with 99.55%ile declined NITIE, SPJIMR, MDI to join XLRI Jamshedpur; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Soumik Banerjee, an Engineer Working with Public Sector, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.95%ile and Got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Bhanu Pratap, A Small Town Boy from Farmer Family and a Fresher, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.67%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Mehak Rathi, a Psychologist & Graphologist, cracked CAT 2022 with 98.08 % to get into MDI Gurgaon - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 Topper from Agriculture Family, Kunal declined IIMs, IIFT to join MDI Gurgaon; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Defense Personnel Ward and Consultant at Deloitte, Avinash Cracked IIFT Entrance and Got into IIFT Delhi MBA (IB) 2023-25 – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How An Agriculture Science Graduate, Amit Shailesh cracked CAT 2022 with 96.42%ile and got into IIM Lucknow – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 & IIFT Topper Pushti Shah declined 11 IIMs to join IIFT Delhi; How She cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Chemical Engineer and Fresher Shivam cracked CAT 2022 with 99.84%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Software Tester Shreyasee Sarkar cracked CAT 2022 with 99.68%ile and got into IIM Calcutta
- How a CA and Asset Management Expert cracked CAT 2021 with 94.78%ile to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How a CA, NTSE Scholar and a Published Poet cracked CAT 2021 with 98.49% to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Ekansh Gupta, a Poet and Working Professional from Moradabad cracked CAT with 99.91 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How a BBA Graduate and Fresher from Surat, Yashvi Bansal Cracked CAT with 94.72%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Arts & Craft lover, a blogger with BMS, Pranita Maheshwari Cracked CAT with 98.81%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How a BMS Graduate from DU working at DE Shaw, Nandan Goel cracked CAT with 99.95 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How A Graphic Designer, Painter with B.Tech, Nancy Jain Cracked CAT 2020 with 99.72 %ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021-23
- How Software Developer at Nomura and IEM Kolkata Graduate from Surat - Shubham cracked CAT with 99.98%ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How an Animation & VFX Lover with B.Tech Venkata Satya Srikar Medisetti from Tuni Cracked CAT with 98.44%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA
- How A Kathak Dancer, Painter & Engineer Vasundhara Tiwari, Working as Accounts Manager –cracked CAT with 96.68%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Electrical Engineer & Working Professional Shuktisindhu Mondal Cracked CAT 2019 & got IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How National Medalist in Swimming, A Triathlon Participant & Chemical Engineer Tanishq Diddee Cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How Doordarshan Anchor, Kathak Dancer and Graduate in Tourism, Shefali Chhaya cracked CAT 2019 and Got into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Miss India Finalist and Law Graduate Adya Niraj cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- CAT Toppers Video Series: How Masscom grad Sandeep Rajguru cracked CAT to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- An NGO Activist and BBA from Surat, Nikita cracked CAT with 99.22%ile; Preferred PGPM at MDI Gurgaon instead of IIMs
- How CA Anushree Naik juggled her finance job in Mumbai, and yet cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIMA! MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Video Series with CAT Toppers: Tanuj Ruia tells MBAUniverse.com how he cracked CAT and PI/WAT Round to get into IIM Bangalore
- Chandanbala, a B.Com with 51% Cracks CAT 2019 with 98.28%ile; Gets into IIM Udaipur; Never found Questions too Hard
- How Alappuzha Girl and NIT Calicut Graduate Sruthy cracked CAT with 97.71%ile and got into IIM Lucknow for MBA 2020!
- How Working Professional & IIT Roorkee Graduate Rahul Gupta cracked CAT with 100%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
- How Surat Boy and NIT Hamirpur Graduate Shantanu Yadav cracked CAT with 99.7%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on CAT Preparation Strategy by Toppers