On January 28, 2021, top ranked University BITS Pilani launched the ‘new age business school’ BITS School of Management (BITSoM) in Mumbai. Much like the ISB model, BITSoM has roped in top global faculty from Wharton, Kellogg, NYU Stern School and SMU. Dr Ranjan Banerjee, Dean of SPJIMR Mumbai, has taken over as the first Dean of BITSoM from April 1, 2021. Classes for the first batch (2021-23) will commence in July 2021. Round 1 & 2 Application process has drawn great response. Last date to apply for round-3 of application is May 2, 2021
MBAUniverse.com reviewed BITSoM’s admission process and found it to be quite different from IIMs and other top B-schools.
But before we talk about BITSoM MBA admission process, let’s check out the response for Round 1 Admissions and USPs of this new B-school.
BITSoM Mumbai MBA Admission Round 1 & 2 get positive response with 1100 applications
Going by the response to the Round 1 & 2, which concluded on February 28 & March 28 respectively, BITSoM value preposition has been lapped up by the smart MBA aspirants. More than 1100 candidates from leading educational institutions like IITs, BITs, SRCC have already applied.
Sharing this information with MBAUniverse.com, Mr. Narottam Kishore, Head of Admissions and Outreach at BITSoM, said, “We have received tremendous response in the first round of applications. Ever since we launched our program on January 28th 2021, we have received 10,000 plus enquiries about the program. In such a short span of time, we have received 700 plus applications in the first round.”
BITSoM is mindful of the quality and diversity of applicants too. Says Mr Kishore, “There is academic diversity, with applicants from the IITs, BITS Pilani, St Xavier’s, SRCC, NYU’s Abu Dhabi campus, McGill University in Canada and Northeastern University in the US. In terms of age too, there are freshers alongside those with a good amount of work experience. People have shown faith in the BITSoM vision.”
So, here is the summary of BITSoM MBA Round 1 & Round 2 applications.
Round 1 Dates: January 28 – February 28.
- Total Number of Enquiries: 10,000+
- Total Number of Application: 700+
Round -2 Dates: March 1 – March 28
- Total Number of Applications: 400+
- Top Indian Institutions represented: IITs, BITS Pilani, St Xavier’s, SRCC
- Top International Institutions represented: NYU’s Abu Dhabi campus, McGill University in Canada and Northeastern University in the US
BITSoM Mumbai Placements Update: McKinsey, BCG, Bain confirm Placement, Internships for Founding Class
Yes, this is true! BITSoM corporate engagement and placements team has already connected with top companies and are getting a good response. McKinsey has agreed to visit BITSoM for Final Placements 2023, while Bain and BCG have agreed to offer Summer Placements 2022. Read this exclusive MBAUniverse.com article on BITSoM Mumbai Placements.
Round 3 Application process is currently open and will close on May 2. This may be the last chance for applying to BITSoM. Continue reading to understand BITSoM USPs, Fee and Admission Process.
BITSoM Mumbai: Key Highlights
While there are many USPs, here are four highlights of BITSoM MBA program.
1. Promoted by Top Ranked University - BITS Pilani: BITS Pilani, a top research lead deemed University in India, is one of the first six institutes to be awarded the Institute of Eminence (IoE) status by Government of India in 2018. Being part of BITS Pilani, BITSoM shall offer an MBA program, and not PGDM or PGP. BITSoM Students will also have access to BITS Pilani alumni network – including 3000+ CEOs of leading Indian and multi-national companies and 4200+ founders who have shaped global businesses. Well known industrialist and Chairman of Aditya Birla Group Mr Kumar Mangalam Birla is the Chancellor of BITS Pilani and Chairman of Governing Council of BITSoM. Mr Birla announced that BITS Pilani is investing Rs 1500 crores in making of BITSoM in next 5 years.
2. Top Intellectual Capital & Faculty Resources: Dr Ranjan Banerjee, present Dean of SPJIMR Mumbai, has been named the Dean-Designate for BITSoM. He was instrumental in positioning SPJIMR as one of Top 5 B-schools in India. BITSoM will offer a futuristic curriculum with a stellar faculty, handpicked from the top business schools globally. This will include globally renowned professors from top B-Schools such as Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, Kellogg School of Management, NYU Stern School of Business and Singapore Management University, in addition to leading industry practitioners.
3. Multidisciplinary curriculum: The multidisciplinary curriculum of BITSoM MBA program will address the needs of an evolving business landscape and offer students an immersive, engaging, and holistic experience. In addition to core courses, all students will take a module on ‘Winning at the Workplace’, designed to develop cognitive and behavioral capabilities as well as provide students with global and contextual perspectives with courses such as Ethics in Business, the Origin of Management in India, and Indian Philosophy and Leadership.
4. Unique Admission Selection Process: MBAUniverse.com reviewed the admission process and found it to be quite different from IIMs. The process is aimed at admitting students from diverse academic and cultural backgrounds with leadership potential and strong written and verbal communication skills. Hence, there are no minimum cut offs for CAT/GMAT/ GRE scores. What’s more, to attract the best and the brightest, there is no application fee for BITSoM MBA!
We will review admission process in more detail later in the article. But before we do that, let’s know more details about the MBA curriculum and faculty.
BITSoM Mumbai has a stellar Governing Council which will help the school be better integrated with industry. The Governing Council members include:
- Kumar Mangalam Birla: Chairman, Governing Council, BITSoM; Chancellor, BITS Pilani and Chairman of the Aditya Birla Group. He is an MBA from London Business School and a Chartered Accountant (CA).
- Shobhana Bhartia: Chairperson, Hindustan Times Group Pro Chancellor, BITS Pilani University of Calcutta.
- Souvik Bhattacharyya: Vice Chancellor, BITS Pilani; PhD, Texas A&M University; MS, University of Cincinnati; BME, Jadavpur University.
- Ranjan Banerjee: Dean Designate, BITSoM; Ph D, University of Minnesota; MBA, IIM Calcutta; B Tech, IIT Bombay.
- Bharat Puri: Managing Director, Pidilite Industries Ltd; MBA, IIM Ahmedabad
BITSoM MBA Specializations
BITSoM Mumbai will offer 2-Year MBA degree programme with five specializations in following areas. A student can choose upto two specializations in his/her final year.
- Leadership and Strategy
- Marketing and Consumer Insights
- E-Commerce and Digital Leadership
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- Finance and Investing
BITSoM faculty include some of the brightest minds from leading business schools across the world who are acclaimed experts in their fields. Eminent faculty members at BITSoM include:
- Dr Ranjan Banerjee, Dean-Designate, BITSoM (PhD, University of Minnesota MBA, IIM Calcutta BTech, IIT Bombay)
- Dr Dhananjay (Dan) Gode, Professor of Finance, NYU Stern School of Business (MS & PhD, Carnegie-Mellon MBA, IIM Calcutta BE, IIT Varanasi)
- Dr Soumitra Dutta, Professor of Management Cornell University (MS & PhD, UC Berkeley BTech, IIT Delhi)
- Dr Mark Finn, Clinical Professor of Accounting Kellogg School of Management (PhD & MBA, Cornell University BA, Stanford University)
- Dr Gerard George, Dean and Chair Professor of Innovation and Entrepreneurship SMU, Singapore (PhD, Virginia Commonwealth University MMS & MSc (Integrated), BITS Pilani)
- Dr Ziv Katalan, Adjunct Professor of Operations Wharton Business School (PhD, Columbia University BS, Tel-Aviv University)
- Dr Nirmalya Kumar, Professor of Marketing, Singapore Management University (PhD, Marketing, Kellogg School of Management; MBA, University of Illinois, Chicago; BCom, Calcutta University)
- Dr Piyush Kumar, Associate Professor, Marketing, Terry College of Business University of Georgia, USA (MBA, IIM Ahmedabad; BTech, IIT Kanpur; PhD, Purdue University)
- Dr Cait Lamberton: Professor of Marketing, Wharton Business School (MBA & PhD, University of South Carolina; BA English, Wheaton College, Illinois)
- Dr Luis Martins, Professor of Management University of Texas Austin; MPhil & PhD, NYU Stern School of Business; BS & MS, Barkatullah University
- Dr Raja Gopal Raghunathan, Professor of Business, University of Texas Austin (PhD, NYU Stern School of Business; MBA, IIM Calcutta; BE, BITS Pilani)
- Dr Milind Shrikhande, Professor of Finance, Georgia State University (MA & PhD, Wharton Business School; MBA, IIM Calcutta; BTech, IIT Bombay)
There are big plans for BITSoM campus. Till the permanent campus with Rs. 1500 crore investment gets ready, BITSoM will be functioning from an interim campus located in Hiranandani Knowledge Park in the green suburb of Powai, not too far from IIT Bombay. This campus will have ample space for auditoriums, class rooms, faculty zones, multipurpose hall, conference and meeting rooms, cafeteria, digital studio, well stocked library. Accommodation to students is provided in well-furnished 3 BHK flats where each student will have a single room.
Alongside, the permanent state of the art BITSoM campus is upcoming in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. The campus is modeled after some of the leading educational campuses from across the world and is spread over 60 acres. The permanent campus is expected to be launched in 2023.
Now that you know BITSoM Mumbai USPs, let’s check the eligibility criteria, key dates, admission criteria and fees for MBA 2021-23 batch.
BITS School of Management MBA Admission 2021: Important Dates
BITSoM Admission process is currently on. Important dates for BITSOM MBA Admissions are:
Round 1 Applications (Closed)
January 28 till February 28, 2021
Round 2 Applications (Closed)
March 1 till March 28, 2021
Round 3 Applications (Open)
March 29 till May 2, 2021
July 4, 2021
Round 3 Application process is currently open and will close on May 2. This may be the last chance for applying to BITSoM. Continue reading to understand BITSoM Fee and Admission Process.
BITSoM MBA Fees: BITSoM MBA Fee is announced for the batch 2021-23. For the 2-year program, the total BITSoM MBA Fees is INR 24,50,000. The breakup is as under:
Components of BITSOM MBA Fees
One time Admission Fee
Food & Housing
Total BITSoM MBA Fee for 2021-23 batch
Total Seats for 2021-23 Batch
The first MBA 2021-23 batch at BITSoM will have an intake of 120 students only.
BITSoM announces Rs 2 Cr Scholarships
BITSoM also plans to award scholarships to deserving candidates.
For candidates who want to avail scholarships, BITSoM offer three types of scholarships:
- merit scholarships,
- merit-cum-need scholarships, and
- scholarship to women candidates
The school has earmarked Rs. 2.0 crores to be awarded as scholarships to deserving candidates in the first year.
BITSoM MBA Admissions 2021: Eligibility Criteria
To apply for BITSOM MBA admission 2021, following eligibility criteria is announced:
- The applicant must have completed undergraduate degree
- Students completing their undergraduate degree in the summer of 2021 are also eligible.
- There is no prior work experience requirement
BITSoM MBA Application & Selection Process
BITS School of Management MBA Admissions 2021 have 2-step selection process. It begins with submitting an online application form followed by a personal interview.
BITSoM MBA Admissions 2021: Exams Accepted
BITS School of Management MBA Admission 2021 are based on CAT, GMAT and GRE exam scores. BITSoM will accept exam scores for following years:
- CAT 2020 exam score
- GMAT/GRE exam score from 2015 onwards as they are valid for 5 years. You need to ensure that your GMAT/GRE score are valid at the time of taking the BITSoM MBA admission 2021
How to Apply for BITSoM MBA Admissions?
You need to submit application online at BITSOM MBA Admissions website.
Application for BITSoM MBA Admissions 2021 can be submitted without any MBA entrance exam scores but you should submit your preferred test score within 30 days of submitting your application and before the application round deadline.
You need not complete the online application in one go for BITSoM MBA Admission. You can complete in parts and review it thoroughly and submit before the deadline.
There is no application fee to apply for BITSoM MBA admission 2021.
BITSoM MBA Admissions: Shortlisting & Selection Process
Here are key details of selection process adopted at BITSoM.
- Shortlisting process in BITSoM MBA Admission 2021 is based on your entrance exam score, Academic profile among other parameters.
- There are no minimum BITS School of Management MBA Cut off in shortlisting either overall or sectional.
- Shortlisted candidates will have to appear in PI round.
- Personal Interviews will be conducted either in person or virtually.
BITSoM MBA Admission 2021: Final Offer
BITS School of Management MBA Admissions 2021 are based on following key components:
- Performance in CAT/GMAT/GRE Exams
- Your Performance in Personal Interview
- Exemplary record of academic and extracurricular achievement
- Work Experience
- Leadership potential and strong written and verbal communication skills
After reading this article, you will perhaps agree that BITSoM is a promising B-school that has the potential to compete with Top B-schools in India. So, if you are looking for MBA Admissions 2021, apply to BITSoM admission process 2021. Last date to apply for BITSoM MBA 20201 is May 2. The application process is simple and what’s more it doesn’t cost anything! So, check this link and apply now.
Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more updates on BITS School of Management, Mumbai