MBAUniverse.com presents inspiring success stories of CAT toppers who triumphed in securing admissions to top IIMs, XLRI, and esteemed institutions. Gain motivation from their well-planned preparation strategies, valuable insights on MBA entrance exam readiness, Personal Interviews, and MBA college selection.
Today, we present the motivational interview with Coimbatore boy from the family of Army Personnel, Sashank Kartik who cracked CAT 2022 with 99.90%ile and is currently pursuing MBA from IIM Kozhikode. Sashank is an electronics engineer from IIT Madras and has work experience of 2 years with JIO Platforms as a software developer.
Sashank’s CAT preparation journey has a lot of lessons. For instance, how did he overcome his weakness in VARC section, and how did he maximize on her strengths. A firm believer of hardwork, perfection, dedication, commitment and integrity, Sashank is an Animal Lover and is passionate about animals. He also loves Singing.
Sashank Kartik comes from a family of Army Personnel. His father served Indian Army for 27 years and is now working with TCS. His mother is a Home Maker. With this introduction, let’s read Sashank’s short responses to MBAUniverse.com questions.
Q: How did you perform in CAT 2022?
A: I scored 99.90 overall percentile in CAT 2022. Coming to sectional scores, I scored 96.80%ile in VARC, 98.08%ile in DILR and 99.98%ile in QA.
Q: Did you take any other exam apart from CAT?
A: Apart from CAT, I did not appear in any other exam.
Q: What was your overall preparation strategy for CAT?
A: Truly speaking, I just went with the flow and did not exclusively prepare for CAT. In fact, I did not refer to some specific books, although I took a few mocks.
Q: What was your strategy to prepare for different sections - VARC, DILR, QA?
A: For VARC, I reviewed a couple of older VARC papers and tried to gauge the level of questions asked in CAT Exam. For DILR, I solved a couple of previous year papers to see what the bottleneck was that affected the performance. For Quant section too, I went through a couple of previous year papers. I am extremely comfortable with LRDI and Quant naturally, so did not prepare for it explicitly.
Q: Was there any particular section/area that you were weak at? How did you overcome this challenge?
A: Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension (VARC) was my weak area. To overcome it, I tried to read different articles and analysed them critically in short. This helped me not to recur the mistake. As a result, I scored a percentile of 96.80 in VARC
Q: What role did Mocks play in your success?
A: I took Unacademy free mock questions for all the 3 sections. The CAT Mocks were extremely insightful to understand the pattern of questions and for proper time management
Q: Did you self-prepare for CAT?
A: Yes, I preferred Self preparation which can be taken as almost no specific preparation.
Q: What were your exam day strategies?
A: I did not go for any last minute preparation and had a good night’s sleep with proper food and hydration. As I knew that my strengths were LRDI and Quant, so I was prepared for managing my time efficiently. For VARC I tried to do the less time consuming questions first then came back to the longer ones. In my view identifying such questions is the key.
Q: Which all B-schools shortlisted you for personal interview round? How did you prepare for it?
A: I was shortlisted by all the IIMs except IIM Indore. To prepare for PI round, I followed current affairs, applied for the CATKing programme and did self-introspection.
Q: Which B-schools you finally converted?
A: I was targeting the top 6 IIMs and I converted IIM Kozhikode
Q: According to you, overall, how can B-schools make their MBA admission process less cumbersome for MBA applicants.
A: I think it is pretty streamlined now. Maybe they can collect the data which is repetitive from the initial CAP registration process.
Q: Finally, your message and tips for candidates preparing for CAT 2023
A: My message for CAT 2023 aspirants is to keep your head down, be aware of what an MBA can bring to the table. Do a lot of self-reflection and a lot of reading - keeping up with what’s going around you and how does it affect you and society in a larger picture that you are a part of, to be able to articulate your thoughts during GDs and PI
Team MBAUniverse.com hopes that this interview was truly inspiring for you! Don't miss out on the opportunity to explore more motivational stories from students who have made their mark at IIMs, IIFT, MDI, XLRI, and beyond. Let their journeys ignite the fire within you…Success awaits you!
Read more inspirational stories & secret mantras of CAT Toppers, only on MBAUniverse.com
- Why SPJIMR is A Preferred Destination for CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile? Aditya, Prateek, Pooja, Sundar Joined SPJIMR Mumbai and Declined IIMs, XLRI, IITs, MDI, SIBM; Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- Why CAT 2022 Topper with 99.44%ile, Akshat Agarwal, declined IIMs, MDI to Join MBA at IIT Delhi; How he prepared & cracked the Exam-MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT Toppers with 99+ %ile Jatin, Shrey, Vishal, Nikhil Joined IIM Kashipur and Declined Other Top B-schools? Toppers Bare secrets to MBAUniverse.com
- How Pooja Sudhakar from Chennai, Working as Marketing Professional at Mockat, cracked CAT 2022 with 99.11%ile, and got into SPJIMR Mumbai
- XLRI Student Nipun Garg Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.95% and CAT 2022 with 97.02; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over IIMs, MDI - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Jay Bosamia, A Chartered Accountant with Work Experience at PwC & Reliance overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 98.79%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- XLRI Student Tanish Jain Cracks XAT 2023 with 99.99% and CAT 2022 with 99.78; Reveals Why he Chose XLRI over FMS - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Patna's Prateek Rai secured 99.80%ile in CAT 2022 and joined SPJIMR Mumbai by sacrificing Social Media, uninstalling YouTube, and overcoming his Weaknesses
- How K. Sashank, Software Developer at JIO from Coimbatore overcame his weakness to crack CAT 2022 with 99.90%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- ‘XAT Not More Difficult than CAT’ Nandagopal V Busts the Myth; Scored 99.99%ile in XAT 2023 and 99.15%ile in CAT 2022; Declines Top IIMs to join XLRI Jamshedpur - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Gurgaon Girl & NIFT Graduate Kirti Goyal Cracks CAT with 99.1%ile, Secures admission at IIM Kozhikode! Shares her success strategies with MBAUniverse.com
- How Mumbai Girl and VJTI Engineer Srishti Yadav overcame her weakness to crack CAT with 99.69%ile, and got into IIM Kozhikode
- Why Amit Kumar Chakraborty, CAT 2022 Topper with 99.34 %ile & XAT 2023 Topper with 99.55%ile declined NITIE, SPJIMR, MDI to join XLRI Jamshedpur; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Soumik Banerjee, an Engineer Working with Public Sector, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.95%ile and Got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Bhanu Pratap, A Small Town Boy from Farmer Family and a Fresher, Cracked CAT 2022 with 99.67%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How Mehak Rathi, a Psychologist & Graphologist, cracked CAT 2022 with 98.08 % to get into MDI Gurgaon - MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 Topper from Agriculture Family, Kunal declined IIMs, IIFT to join MDI Gurgaon; How he cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Defense Personnel Ward and Consultant at Deloitte, Avinash Cracked IIFT Entrance and Got into IIFT Delhi MBA (IB) 2023-25 – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How An Agriculture Science Graduate, Amit Shailesh cracked CAT 2022 with 96.42%ile and got into IIM Lucknow – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Why CAT 2022 & IIFT Topper Pushti Shah declined 11 IIMs to join IIFT Delhi; How She cracked Exams – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Chemical Engineer and Fresher Shivam cracked CAT 2022 with 99.84%ile and got into IIM Calcutta – MBAUniverse.com Interview
- How a Software Tester Shreyasee Sarkar cracked CAT 2022 with 99.68%ile and got into IIM Calcutta
- How a CA and Asset Management Expert cracked CAT 2021 with 94.78%ile to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How a CA, NTSE Scholar and a Published Poet cracked CAT 2021 with 98.49% to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Ekansh Gupta, a Poet and Working Professional from Moradabad cracked CAT with 99.91 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How a BBA Graduate and Fresher from Surat, Yashvi Bansal Cracked CAT with 94.72%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Arts & Craft lover, a blogger with BMS, Pranita Maheshwari Cracked CAT with 98.81%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How a BMS Graduate from DU working at DE Shaw, Nandan Goel cracked CAT with 99.95 %ile & Got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How A Graphic Designer, Painter with B.Tech, Nancy Jain Cracked CAT 2020 with 99.72 %ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021-23
- How Software Developer at Nomura and IEM Kolkata Graduate from Surat - Shubham cracked CAT with 99.98%ile and got into IIM Calcutta for MBA 2021
- How an Animation & VFX Lover with B.Tech Venkata Satya Srikar Medisetti from Tuni Cracked CAT with 98.44%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA
- How A Kathak Dancer, Painter & Engineer Vasundhara Tiwari, Working as Accounts Manager –cracked CAT with 96.68%ile and got into IIM Udaipur for MBA 2021
- How an Electrical Engineer & Working Professional Shuktisindhu Mondal Cracked CAT 2019 & got IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How National Medalist in Swimming, A Triathlon Participant & Chemical Engineer Tanishq Diddee Cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020
- How Doordarshan Anchor, Kathak Dancer and Graduate in Tourism, Shefali Chhaya cracked CAT 2019 and Got into IIM Ahmedabad
- How Miss India Finalist and Law Graduate Adya Niraj cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- CAT Toppers Video Series: How Masscom grad Sandeep Rajguru cracked CAT to get into IIM Ahmedabad
- An NGO Activist and BBA from Surat, Nikita cracked CAT with 99.22%ile; Preferred PGPM at MDI Gurgaon instead of IIMs
- How CA Anushree Naik juggled her finance job in Mumbai, and yet cracked CAT 2019 to get into IIMA! MBAUniverse.com Interview
- Video Series with CAT Toppers: Tanuj Ruia tells MBAUniverse.com how he cracked CAT and PI/WAT Round to get into IIM Bangalore
- Chandanbala, a B.Com with 51% Cracks CAT 2019 with 98.28%ile; Gets into IIM Udaipur; Never found Questions too Hard
- How Alappuzha Girl and NIT Calicut Graduate Sruthy cracked CAT with 97.71%ile and got into IIM Lucknow for MBA 2020!
- How Working Professional & IIT Roorkee Graduate Rahul Gupta cracked CAT with 100%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!
- How Surat Boy and NIT Hamirpur Graduate Shantanu Yadav cracked CAT with 99.7%ile and got into IIM Ahmedabad for MBA 2020!