Oxford Dictionary defines that a leader is a person who leads or commands a group, organization, or a country whereas a follower is a person who supports and admires a particular person or set of ideas. The rise to leadership position is two way - it can be either by innovative creation or by transiting from a smaller role to a leadership role.
Leaders are mostly associated with power and authority. However, Leadership is an art of influence—and motivation. Leaders in true sense motivate people to extend their limits and do more than they ever thought possible. The importance of a follower is critical for a leader. It is famously stated that "A leader without followers is simply a man taking a walk.” History has got multiple instances where followers played a huge role in the popularity or success of their leader. Mahatma Gandhi in India and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in USA are a few of the many examples where followers made these leaders and their ideologies widely popular not only in their own country but also across the whole world.
Virtues of Leadership
Leadership offers many landmarks and examples for the followers which remain live even when leader in physical form is not there:
Strength: A leader is always at the forefront of any task so he/she is the first one to face the challenges or problems associated with a task. This in turn makes the person strong and confident to tackle any problem.
Respect: Being a leader always brings respect and recognition of the ideas and efforts.
Power: Leadership entrusts one with the power to control and influence others. However, with power there comes additional responsibility to execute tasks effectively.
Followers Equally Important
While leaders are revered everywhere, followers also command respect and set examples after turning into leaders:
Follow first: There is no harm in being a follower first and then a leader. Many renowned leaders have followed this path and have acclaimed worldwide fame for their leadership skills. The most famous example of this is Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India.
Know when to lead and when to follow: There lies a great sensibility in deciding when to lead and when to follow. Even great leaders switch to being a follower if they witness merit in someone’s ideas or skills in executing tasks.
Role Suitability: The role of a leader comes with a lot of additional responsibilities. While some people handle these additional responsibilities effectively others may feel overburdened and hence become less productive. So it is important to choose the role accordingly.
BBA Admissions Open 2022 | Apply Now!
|JAGSoM BBA Program Admissions 2022||KEDGE International BBA at JAGSoM|
Tips to clear GD Round on Abstract Topic
This topic in GD round is one of the hot probable topics and has been carefully chosen and solved with the sole aim to help you succeed in GD round. If you follow the few key tips, you can improve your chances to get through the GD round
- Abstract GD Topic is not much data based. So be careful while sharing your opinion as the first speaker. If you are clear and know the topic well, it is good to be the first to start the Group Discussion
- If you are not well versed with the topic and feel a bit confused on it, try to gather information from first 1-2 speakers and then place your view point.
- Since GD is a sort of debate, you should have a clear view point on the
- Use the quote and data, if you are sure of the source else leave it.
- Make multiple entries using the opportunity to speak. Take clue from your predecessor and turn it to your benefit
- Speak in a firm and audible voice. Don’t shout as it wouldn’t do any good.
- Demonetisation: Success & failures
- Linking of Aadhaar: Is making Aaadhar mandatory a good idea?
- Start up India: Boosting Entrepreneurship
- FDI in retail: Good for India?
- Budget Cycle Change: Only a move of convenience
- GST: Will economy grow faster with reduced rates of Goods & Services Tax?
- Merger of Public Sector Banks: How beneficial is the merger of Banks?
- Make in India: The idea will make India a manufacturing hub
- Bank Recapitalization: NPA reduction and not bank recapitalization can cure the health of PSBs in India
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao: Will it abolish the orthodox mindset?